Disaster strikes at tournament

Are Verlo

Hello brothers, 

I thought I´d share my recent misery in a 60-man tournament.

The summary is short and bitter: The Scandinavian Airlines left my suitcase in Oslo as I traveled on to Denmark. When I was to claim it, the suitcase was still back in Oslo. So I spent half the tournament waiting for my miniatures. 

The TO was amazing and arranged for me to borrow an army, but as we all know that is not the same as playing my own. Luckily the miniatures arrived just before game 3 (out of 5).

I know the miniatures should never be checked in, but should instead carried onboard as hand luggage. I was already late for my flight and once I got to the airport take-off was in 35 minutes. The plan was to repack and carry miniature suitcase as hand luggage and check my larger suitcase in.

Then this enourmous line of tourists arrived and moved towards security. I thought to myself, I have to get before them or I´ll actually miss my flight. And then i checked the large suitcase in...with my mini-suitcase inside....

The first flight took me from my local airport to Oslo and then I flew from Oslo to Denmark. The best they could offer was to mark my suitcase as urgent/priority and have it carried to Denmark by the first flight, next day... and the rest makes me cry

Tracking showed the suitcase arrived at the airport at 08:30 and was quickly updated to "delivery process initated". I was cautiously optimistic that the army would arrive before round 1 at 10:00.

At 12:54 DHL texts med "Your bags have been collected, we will contact you to agree on delivery details". At 16:30 it finally arrives. I am so glad the figs were only delayed and not lost, but the distance between the venue and the airport equals an hour ride by car. Still it took nearly 7 hours and 30 minutes to bring me the army.....

Right, nothing was lost or damaged and the whole incident could have been avoided if I wasn´t late to the airport. But then again, I actually expect the airline to carry my suitcase to my final destination.

As you say, the worst part was spending time and a good deal of money (10.000NOK =1250 USD) on a tournament I did not get to enjoy fully.

I spendt most Friday night being angry and Saturday was stressfull, with all the waiting and the faint hope my army would arrive in time. 

So very to sorry to hear of this happening to you Are Verlo.

Sucks things went down that way.

Definately a silver lining on your collection being recovered and undamaged at least.

Made me wonder if there is a travellers insurance that might cover something like this.

Lost Luggage ruining an event and kicking in to cover some incurred costs doesn't seem to be a thing on a quick google search.

Neither would it have likely covered, but a fraction of the cost of your collection should it have been lost, let alone the hours spent building painting etc.

Serious food for thought man.

It is important to share stories like this.

Thanks for doing that.

Again, very sorry to hear of such a run of luck. It is supposed to be limited to the dice man.

May the road rise with you from here.

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

Yes it was Warzone:Slagelse

The borrowed army was black templars and I used it round 1.

I chose to forfeit round 2, giving my opponent 20-0 in his favour.

My army arrived in time for round 3 and I got to play 3 games with it.( 2 won and 1 lost).

The TO and the staff were all fantastic and did as much as possible to ease my suffering.

Unfortunately the weekend was heavily influenced by the delayed luggage.

Edited by Are Verlo

This sucks to hear

However I can tell you that many airlines will not take models in hand carry, especially transnational (I know the USonians have it easy internally) in cabin, unless you're collection is all plastic, you'll have metal and sharp spikey bits

I do UK->Asia and back frequently, as much as I've asked nicely, it's hold only.

I've had great success with sea shipping, but that's some commitment for a tournament

Edited by D3L