To fight undefeated bugs...

Frostglaive

There is a player at one of the LGS I go to that currently has an undefeated 1500pt Tyranid list. Multiple people now have challenged him to try to beat this list, no one has yet. So I called him out for a match next week with my AdMech. Now before I go on, I need to point this out: He is fully aware I'm trying to tailor a list against him. Multiple people have done this now to see if they can beat this list. He is fully encouraging it. This is not me trying to be a jerk or hating on the guy. This is all in good fun.

That being said, here's what I know he has:

2 Flyrants

2 Dakkafexes

12 Zoanthropes

3 Biovores

An anti-tank bug whose name I don't know

I have no idea what the upgrades or wargear is for any of these guys. I don't know detachments, CP, and I'm only assuming he's utilizing hive fleet Kronos. The Zoanthropes he has a couple times before lowered the amount so he can bring 6 Biovores instead of 3.

To my fellow magi, how would you go about beating this list? To any members of the hive mind lurking around here, what would beat this army?

My first Idea would be to bring as many Icarus Armed Onager's as I physically could.
5 would hurt him pretty hard, I only own 3 which in this case would more or less be the minimum for fighting against this army.

Everything on his side excluding the Biovore's ( even the spore mines) have the fly keyword and isn't natively -1 to hit 
meaning your Icarus will be hitting the things on 2's  re-rolling 1's ( Tech priest dominus)

Further, then that, It depends on what Forge world's  you run and what models you have access to?

Against that army, if I was trying to tailor a list  I would Run as Stygies and I'd bring something like this.

The large cheap blobs of Rangers are your Screen you will need to protect against those tyrants, the match will be won and lost on the deployment ... if you can roll/get hammer and anvil deployment Do it,   then prepare a 2 gape inch line of 30 rangers along your front and sides, try to consume as much space as possible ... your goal is to prevent him from getting those damn Flyrants out of your lines so they are forced to drop 9 inches in front of your screen, bog them down as much as you can with rangers ....  while directing onagers at the flying targets.

Your priests are there to Charge at wherever he deep strikes the Flyrants in ... delay them even further and those mortal wounds are icing on the cake and use the dragoons to go upfeild and cause some havoc  ..

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [64 PL, 984pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [24 PL, 330pts]
Kastelan Robot: 3XHeavy Phosphor blaster

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 125pts]: Macrostubber, Omnissian Axe, Volkite Blaster

Tech-Priest Enginseer [3 PL, 47pts]: Omnissian Axe, Servo-arm

+ Elites +

Corpuscarii  Electro-Priests [3 PL, 70pts]: 5x Corpuscarii Electro-Priest

+ Fast Attack +

Sydonian Dragoons [9 PL, 204pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Taser lance

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [7 PL, 70pts]: 9x Skitarii Ranger
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle

Skitarii Rangers [7 PL, 70pts]: 9x Skitarii Ranger
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 68pts]
. 2x Skitarii Vanguard
. 2x Vanguard (Plasma caliver): 2x Plasma caliver
. Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [28 PL, 515pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 130pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Icarus Array

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 125pts]: Macrostubber, Omnissian Axe, Volkite Blaster

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World

++ Total: [92 PL, 1499pts] ++x

The large cheap blobs of Rangers are your Screen you will need to protect against those tyrants, the match will be won and lost on the deployment ... if you can roll/get hammer and anvil deployment Do it,  1 inch line of 30 rangers along your front and sides, using the Full 2 inches you can to consume as much space as possible ... your goal is to prevent him from getting those damn Flyrants out of deep strike . inside your lines 

Edited by synthaside

The Zoanthropes have a 24" range on Smite.

Icarus onagers will hurt his flyrants and zoeys. Shooty Kastellans should do the biz against dakkafexes.

Use cheap infantry as a screen to keep the big guns shooting. Being a Guard Player primarily, I treat basic infantry as expendable. If it takes something with it, even better!

Dragoons can be a great defensive reaction force for when the flyrants come in.

This game depends very much on your mission. Is it Maelstrom or random ? I think he has you for board control, that's going to be an issue. His psychic stuff is going to be bonkers, I play against larger packs of Zoanthropes and they can be wrecking balls so you can either decide to let him pick off chaff with it, or try to take it down.

In my experience the Zoanthropes can absorb disgusting amounts of firepower... don't get suckered into this. I typically -try- to engage the Zoans in close combat... with the cheapest crap you have.

10 infiltrating Sicarians with WoM can punch holes through a lot of stuff, but it's a one trick pony. You'll need mortal wounds on those Zoans... or ignore them entirely. Like I said they can absorb a shed load of high end damage that is better spent on flyrants, and dakka fexes.

I think the one thing this guy's list plays into your hand is it is largely elite. My AdMech LOVE killing elite armies. He doesn't have the usual spam so this does give you a bit of breathing room. That said he'll largely be pressing you.... and you'll need to prevent him from running away with the game early with his movement, and board control.

To be fair a lot of this game will come down to playing it right.... not so much the 'perfect' list. Make sure you let us know how it goes!