30k Blackshields - The Dark Brotherhood

Chickenleg

The Born

It's time to explore the horrifying fluff of the Chymeriae that I love so much. After considering all the possible options I've settled on a band of lab-grown Replicae (40k clones) and a brand new paint scheme.

These warriors are the remnants of a failed experiment involving the creation of a perfect Astartes without the need of a human aspirant, based on technologies developed in the Dark Age of Technology. Ravaged by mutations and other deformities, these unfortunate individuals were left for dead by their creator but managed to escape the destruction of the secret laboratory that claimed the lives of countless other test subjects. Shunned by both Loyalist and Traitor, the Born traveled the galaxy until they finally found safe heaven among the ranks of the Dark Brotherhood.

Their production MK V power armor displayed no Legion colors or insignias save for a specimen number on the right knee.

Test subject 9, tactical sergeant

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/darkman1111/P12703288.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/darkman1111/P1270327.jpg

Modeling notes:

Grotesque but highly intelligent, reliable soldiers.

Their deformities occurred during the cloning process and are in no way related to Chaos influence. Growths, extra limbs and teeth are OK.  

Extreme mutations like wings, crazy crab claws and spitting fire are no go.

Main Inspiration comes from the movie Alien Ressurection. Ripley's clones!

Thanks for the comments!!!

First off, awesome project! Minis look great and I am excited to see this grow.

Two, thanks for the black recipe. Going to use it for chaos!

Heretic!

The green on that robe is spectacular! 

Thanks!

glorious work dude

:thumbsup:

Very fine work...... bring us more:thumbsup:

Working on it!

Your black shields are stunning! Very big inspiration for me when I get around to doing my own!

Thanks! Can't wait to see what you'll do with them.

Damn, this is coming along well. Particularly like #2: unexpected to see the Death Guard helm on something that isn't a Plague Marine, but it works very nicely!

Haha, I'm using everything I have at this point.

Amazing work, the completed model looks so crisp! Some seriously brilliant paint jobs, can't wait to see the next member!

Thanks for the support!

On a bit of a Black shield infatuation myself and these are lovely

Blackshield madness. :thumbsup:

Must resist starting another Horus Heresy army... But this is soo good!

Use the leftovers from your other projects!

Heretic, Shmeretic. We’ll all serve the Pantheon sooner or later..

Test subject number 9 is awesome. That is sincerely the coolest marine I have seen in a long while. The model is great and I feel bad he may not be able to wear a helmet but his background is awesome.

I also see where the resemblance to Ripley’s clone shows. His face also makes me think of the Thing when it changes people’s bodies.

Gods, it's not as if starting a blackshield force isn't difficult enough as is...

Absolutely amazing work on all 4 models. Last one is a definite favorite, to be sure - what's the metal paint you've used? I want to say Sycorax Bronze, but I'm far from sure. 

Liking the backstory for the Born. The serial number(?) on the shoulder is a nice touch.

Thanks! Yeah, its a designation number or something, since the plate was never painted I thought it was appropriate.

The numbers also symbolise the creator's view of them as expendable.

I might go back and weather them a bit but I'm not sure yet.

Heretic, Shmeretic. We’ll all serve the Pantheon sooner or later..

Test subject number 9 is awesome. That is sincerely the coolest marine I have seen in a long while. The model is great and I feel bad he may not be able to wear a helmet but his background is awesome.

I also see where the resemblance to Ripley’s clone shows. His face also makes me think of the Thing when it changes people’s bodies.

Thanks! The Thing is one of my favorite horror movies so that's great. The original idea was to build a small unit of Raven Guard Raptor mutants but I'm glad I did my own thing in the end.

Gods, it's not as if starting a blackshield force isn't difficult enough as is...

Absolutely amazing work on all 4 models. Last one is a definite favorite, to be sure - what's the metal paint you've used? I want to say Sycorax Bronze, but I'm far from sure. 

Thanks! It is actually Leadbelcher basecoat, washed with thinned down Vallejo Air Tank Brown and highlighted with silver. Then the fun part,rust!

Great stuff so far, especially that last one.

The bronze on it is just fantastic, would you mind letting us know how you achieved it? :biggrin.:

Thanks for the support! The recipe is on the answer above. :biggrin.:

These are honestly some of the best Blackshields I have seen, really love how you imbue each one with a sense of character and individualism! Exactly how I feel Blackshields should be. The Chymaerae is absolutely fantastic and the face has a wonderful sense of corrupted nobility about it! Keep up the ace work and look forward to seeing more.

Another rank and file marine is finished.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/darkman1111/P1270456.jpg

Also a WIP shot of another Replicae. I've used bits from old projects, a DG head and a Poxwalkers arm. Looks like crap at this stage but you get the idea. :biggrin.:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/darkman1111/P1270475.jpg

These are honestly some of the best Blackshields I have seen, really love how you imbue each one with a sense of character and individualism! Exactly how I feel Blackshields should be. The Chymaerae is absolutely fantastic and the face has a wonderful sense of corrupted nobility about it! Keep up the ace work and look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for the support! It's nice to meet another Blackshield collector! Your Blackshields are very unique too, just as they should be! :smile.:

I get strong Gothmog vibes. Very cool.

Haha, I had to google the name but yeah!

C&C welcome.

Test subject 7

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/darkman1111/P1270484.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w194/darkman1111/P1270530.jpg

This side project is distracting me way too much, I must slow down with the Chymeriae and focus on the main force first!

New marine looks good. Mk5 Helms without studs has quite the look to it.

The wip marine looks like he just needs some cortisone and he should be a-ok!

I love MK V plate, especially the helm!

Haha, cortisone! You are right tho, pain and suffering is a theme with these guys. it's the superior Astartes endurance that keeps them going.

I imagine this guy speaking in a ghastly voice while breathing Darth Vader style. :biggrin.:

C&C welcome.

I have no critiques as what you are pumping out is pure gold.

New marine looks good. Guess it would be hard to come by some bionic limbs when you are a renegade. Maybe even more difficult to get it to work if that appendage is all wired wrong muscle wise. I almost think it would be cool to see something attached by chain to that stump, like a morning star.

Wow, these are fantastic minis Chickenleg, you've got a great eye for posing & colour

I went with the idea of vat-grown Astartes for my Chymerae minis too, although their failings are a bit less visible (undergoing geneseed implantation *after* they're 'birthed' rather than part of the growth process probably helps)

Incredible ! Those blackshield are full of caracters. I really dig the painting and the conversion work here. I Love your black in particular and the adapted chimerae scheme is gorgeous as well as the faces !

Original and well made,

I'll follow this thread closely ;)

Malchy

The level of attention to detail, and the quality of the conversions and paintjobs, is just superb!

Well done, and I hope we see (many) more! :D

If I might ask - are the MkV legs the FW ones, or did you convert them up yourself? I have some FW MkVs myself, and I think they look smaller than yours do.

Archived