Back to 30k Blackshields: His Red Right Hand

Kordhal

Being a bit burnt out on 40k (though am still chugging away at inq28) decided to revisit my attempt at making a true scale Blackshield warband for use in 30k. Though I enjoyed my initial concepts for the Void Scholars, I wanted to start afresh with a new warband and a new name.

"Death comes from the void. With cold hands we shall wring the life from you, for we are the unquiet dead and we shall have vengeance."

------------------------ Final transmission received by Traitor aligned Naval refuelling station Gamma-36V.

Molek Vaal, Reaver Lord, Terran Veteran of the VIIIth legion. Leader of the loyalist Blackshield warband dubbed the Void Gheists. 

Known monikers: 'Red Right Hand', 'An Honourable Murderer' [REDACTED DUE TO NOSTRAMAN GANG EXPLETIVES]....

"I spit on the Warmaster. I spit on his traitorous lapdogs. I spit on the cancerous thing that we have called Father. Cast off our midnight colours, we go to war clad in the colours of the void." - Molek Vaal, addressing his assembled warriors after translation into the fringes of the Istavaan system, several months after the dropsite massacre. 

5yaAC4n.jpg

Molek can be seen clad in his Cataphractii plate, all colours of previous allegiance having been replaced with a deep black except for a single red gauntlet [significance unknown////// Possible mark of punishment in original legion? Molek was not favoured by his gene sire///].

tu8yCJW.jpg

Pict capture on Thurth Alpha indicates Molek was wielding a non-human power weapon, not matching any standard weapon phenotypes or identifiers. [Was not uncommon to see Blackshields, who were unshackled from the strictures of legion rule utilising previously forbidden armaments, such as forbidden Xenotech.] {Note Ghostly Half sun on his pauldron, where a legion marking would sit}.

t0uCF4t.jpg

Pict captures throughout the Heresy seem to show a scroll cinched at the Reaver Lords waist, what was written within remains unknown. {Relevance grade: minoris}. 

Relevance grade majoris: Note the archaeotech pistol Molek is wielding. Mechanicum adepts inform us that it fits under the Particle Accelerator Class of Archaeotech Weaponry. {See sub file 2389Alpha_WEAPONTEST_ENERGYFONT]...

{FILE IS CORRUPTED.... END HERE?} [y/n]

Its good to be back to 30k, and hopefully I will stick with it! Currently on my desk is a box of reivers and orlock shotguns that am using to convert up some Blackshield marauders...

Comments and Criticisms are welcome :biggrin.:

Excellent work on both the model and his backstory. What does the "Ghostly Half-sun" symbolize? A desire to break free from Nostromo's pervasive darkness, and return to the Emperor's light?

There's a typo. The sentence "Pict captures throughout the Heresy seem to show a scroll cinched at the Reaver Lords waste," uses WASTE, when you obviously meant WAIST.

@Observer: Cheers, that means a lot coming from you! Your 30k work was a huge inspiration, and I look forward to your Blackshields!

@Bjorn Firewalker: Thank you, am glad you like him! Hmmm haven't decided yet but your suggestion is a really interesting idea! (Also have fixed the typo ;) ).

Pearson73: Thank you, am really happy how his colour scheme turned out!

So what is on my hobby table at the moment is using Primaris Reivers (Primaris make True scaling a hell of a lot easier), to make Blackshield marauders armed with Shotguns and Chain axes. WIP below (still needs some clean up):

xMMRJII.jpg

ETohYmK.jpg

aImJ4XQ.jpg

Thoughts on the aesthetic? Does it fit 30K, and not look too Primaris-ey? Any comments would be very welcome!

@ Bjorn Fireshield: The plan for these guys are that they are made up of loyalist elements of both the IW and NL, with a few other hangers on, so no traitors! Am very much a loyalist at heart.

@Noserenda: Thank you! It definitely makes sense, with how easy they are to use for truescaling. Though you do have to remove some of the sleeker aesthetics.

@Markus_: Thank you, am glad you like it :D, your true scale project was another one that had a big influence on me starting this one. Oh, definitely have had a go at smoothing a bit so hopefully looks better.

Brief update on my part as have been ill for the better part of this week, presenting the almost finished (just need to do some gap filling and some general touch ups) first half of my 10 man reivers to Marauders conversions.

Q9PKsIi.jpg

Comments and criticisms are welcome, and if anyone has some good tips for making rivets/studs for marine armour that would be much appreciated!

The Reivers to Marauders conversion looks great and it’s a great idea. I use the reiver torsos for my truescale marines and throw the legs in my bits box. Let me know if you need more legs I’ll send you my spares.

Very nice. I especially love the little background hints and personality that you've given to an otherwise fairly stock model. I try to do things like that as well, and I love that someone who knows the fluff can look at your mostly black marine and tell the backstory that he's of the VIIth and that he's fought Aeldari at some point.

• 5 weeks later...

@ephrael: Thank you! I amy have to drop you a line about those reiver legs. 

@Pearson73: Yeah I agree with you there, have started bulk up their shins with GS, and will probably switch to intercessor legs from now on!

@Fenbain: Have no fear, have started to bulk up the legs.

@Brother Heinrich: Thank you! Cheers for the tutorial, ending up stumbling on a company that sells 28mm scale plastic rivets, which are super easy to use!

@Vairocanum: Thanks! Yeah ended up buying a load of 0.8mm rivets and they are great.

I know this log has been a bit quiet, but am back with some more motivation, the Marauders are currently going through their leg day exercises to bulk up their shins. Also I have another WIP of a character to share:

The Ex-Iron Warriors Chaplain Urek Iconas, now a member of the Void Gheists. He has some gaps that need filling with GS but he is well on his way!

HGQXe8A.jpg

ts2Z4Me.jpg

KLd6L4q.jpg

rQQO4va.jpg

Comments and criticisms are welcome, and any suggestion on how I could fit a boarding shield on the model (or whether to just take a refractor field) is most welcome

@Vairocanum: Thank you, grizzled veteran was exactly the look I was going for!

@Chickenleg: Cheers, am glad he comes across as a member of the IVth

Urek Iconas, Ex-Terran Iron Warrior, Chaplain and member of the Void Gheist Blackshield warband. 

"Break their backs, crush their skulls and drive them before us. From the void we shall throttle the Traitors!"

-Urek Iconas, before engaging the Word Bearers at Neo Babylon.

"Iron and Night"

- Void Gheist War Chant

Plucked from the Grekan mountains after their subjugation during the Wars of Unity, Urek underwent gene-seed implantation and induction into the nascent Iron Warriors Legion. Despite his contempt for the Emperor, who he saw as another tyrant in the making, he was a fervent believer in the Imperial Truth and understood the necessity of what the Emperor was trying to achieve.

Narrowly avoiding Petarubo's purges, Urek found himself far from his gene-sires favour and was frequently attached to far-flung expeditionary fleets, sent into the untamed wilds of the galaxy. It is one such expedition, a year before Istavaan III, where he encountered the 23rd Company of the VIIIth known as the "Honourable Sons", and their enigmatic Praetor Molek Vaal...

NzQzrkJ.jpg

vuWTwEo.jpg

W5L8SLv.jpg

0tEQ1T1.jpg

Will post some lore for him, when he the concept is a little more fleshed out in my head!

Comments and criticisms are welcome!

@Bjorn Firewalker: Thank you! He is definitely a loyalist through and through, placing Emperor above all including Primarch.

@Machine God: Cheers, and thank you! Haha, he is definitely not a well like chap in Kurze's eyes..

So after doing some list hammering, I realised I get cooler options when using an artificer armoured Reaver Lord, so here is Molek Vaal Mk2 (am still building his cyber familiar). He was a huge amount of fun to build and paint, and despite my love for his first iteration, I feel like his new model really captures what I envision for Vaal.

Below are some pictures and some fluff to explain the loss of his Terminator plate and his xenos sword. 

Six months after discovering their Legions treachery at Istvaan, the Void Gheists limped into the Eridu system, hoping for re-armament and resupply at the Factory World of Neo-Babylon. Instead of finding a loyalist bastion, they instead found the Factory-Ziggurats under siege by hordes of foul cultists led by elements of the Word Bearers Legion. 

Taking the traitors cruiser by surprise, the Battle Barge and Grand Cruiser battered their way into high orbit, with Molek Vaal personally leading his terminator bodyguard in deployment to the capital of Ur. Despite initial successes against the ravening hordes, Molek was quickly overwhelmed and driven back by the appearance of grossly distorted astartes, led by the Chaplain Veruk Kur. His cataphractii plate broken in a myriad of places, and his xenos blade shattered by Veruk’s crozius, it was only the timely intervention of Urek and the Iron Warrior elements of the Void Gheists that allowed Molek to retreat back to orbit. 

Receiving only the necessary medical treatment, Molek retreated to his quarters, some stating that the sight of such debased astartes disturbed him more than the eldritch horrors of the Hollow Men. Returning a day later, armoured in artificer plate and bearing a great axe of Hollow Man make, Molek ordered their return to the surface. With vengeance in their hearts the Void Gheists mercilessly slaughtered the Word Bearers on Neo-Babylon’s surface, finally cornering Veruk Kur after weeks of intense fighting. Details of the final battle are scant and prone to exaggeration, with some reporting Molek slaying several of the mutated astartes alone whilst others claim it was the work of both Molek and Urek. 

Veruk Kur was left crucified above a pyre of his mutated bodyguard outside Ur’s city limits, and the remaining cultists driven into the sea by the wrathful Void Gheists. The cities grateful Factory-Magister gifted Molek with a singular helm bearing the likeness of a white lion, the sacred animal of the mechanicum priesthood on Neo-Babylon, and offered to refit and re-arm the Blackshield group for aiding them against the Word Bearers. 

AlODShc.jpg

lSILOGY.jpg

AIVYI3W.jpg

ukzQmvn.jpg

a8XOZIC.jpg

Comments and criticisms are welcome :D

Archived