Back to 30k Blackshields: His Red Right Hand

Kordhal

@Hushrong: I am glad you found the log again :D. Yeah am really pleased how the helmet turned out in the end !

@Brother Lunkhead: Thank you very much! Am glad the paint work evokes a sense of menace and eeriness, I wanted to convey predators emerging from the black depths of the void...

@Vairocanum: Cheers, am really pleased with how he turned out, and he was a lot of fun to make.

@Markus: Thank you Markus,. Yeah I was really inspired by the Blanche painting of a great crusade marine with a similar helmet.

@Charlo: Cheers :D

@sarabando: I see your point, and I am glad you like the other two. I do however disagree with the ornateness on his armour (It is meant to be bespoke artificer plate) and honestly in comparison to some of the Emperors Children models he looks positively plain! The Mace comes from the Genestealer Neophyte kit.

Honoured Gregorius is almost ready for paint. Despite being a Nostraman veteran of the VIIIth, his ideals were more in line with Vaal's than his gene sires, so ended up assigned to Molek's company. When he fell fighting the Death Guard in the retaking of the Anvil's Gate Station, his barely living body was recovered and installed into a Death Guard Contemptor, which had been liberated from its previous occupant in the ensuing battle.

vOQrBOW.jpg

Its a subtle conversion but am really happy how it turned out!

I actually tried to look at earlier work after my post and realized this was a new log. Right? Regardless I am happy to see your work again!

Looking forward to Gregorius getting some paint!

Awesome! The Reaver Lord is so badass, the custodian bits merge very well with the mk III praetor. Very creative.

Is he based on that old Proto-Astartes artwork by JB? I'm using the same art piece for my HQ!

The dread is sweet too, can't wait to see it painted. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

@sarbando: Yeah its a great kit, and one of my favourite contemptor variants.

@hushrong: Yep, its a new log alright :D . And look no further ;)

@Chickenleg: Thank you! I took a lot of inspiration from that piece, especially his helmet. I look forward to seeing your interpretation as well!

@Bjorn Firewalker: Cheers, nope its actually a kitbash using the top of the old empire generals helmet spliced to the 30k ahrimans helmet!

@Herald of Ultramar: Nope, its a splice :D (See above).

Finally painted up Honoured Gregorius:

Deep in his amniotic coffin what remained of Gregorius Verr,  former Nostraman member of the VIIIth, laughed. The vox unit embedded in his armoured torso projecting it as a sharp and echoing rasp.

Truly this was a second elevation, the first being his transformation from boy to legionnaire. Now he strode the battlefields encased in a form of steel and ceramite, a veritable demi-god of war. 

An auspex ping, 300 meters ahead, his prey was close. 

Gregorius began to laugh again, a broken smile twisting what remained of his face. He hoped it was the militia rather than traitor astartes, mortals always had such a delightful look of terror as he sprinted into the fray. Assault cannons cycling, he began to lope towards the auspex return.

AbPZSPq.jpg

UHEEdl0.jpg

jYM1IGc.jpg

6gQyWOB.jpg

1xHePcT.jpg

I really enjoyed assembling this and performing a few minor conversions, and he was a blast to paint. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Great work. I think the Death Guard contemptor is one of the best models if you want a really heavy and archaic feel to the design. Those skulls on the chest gave me an idea for kill markers I might have to use on one of my dreads. ;)

The contemptor looks solid, the simple white designs against the black background give a very striking contrast and aesthetic. The symbols are pretty interesting too, almost occult.

@hushrong: Thank you! If you like I can drop you a PM on how I paint the black armour.

@Bjorn: Cheers :D

@Markus_: Thanks. Yeah it feels and looks like such a brutal bit of kit, entirely designed for war. Oh feel free to nab the skulls for kill markings!

@MagicMan: Thank you very much. Am glad you like Molek, that helmet was real labour of love.

@Pearson73: Am glad you like the contemptor and his paint scheme. That is exactly the feeling I was going for with the symbols, and they also tie into the background I have for these chaps.

A brief update but have finally finished assembling my Volkite support squad so that my Blackshields can have some CHOOM based support.

YZPikJx.jpg

Oh wow! Nice paint-scheme .. but more importantly, very nice conversion work and conceptualization there!

I'm a great fan of true-scaling and in particular for Heresy-era projects (you don't seem to see 'em around as much htese days unfortunately, so finding inspirational stuff like htis is all the more excellent); and you've done a pretty nifty job managing to incorporate AoS and Primaris-range bitz without undercutting (in my opinion, anyway) the Heresy-era vibe. That's no easy thing, so well done on that. 

I look forward to your next additions :D Keep up the good work! 

• 5 weeks later...

@hushrong: Cheers, Choom is always good :D

@Vairocanum: Thank you! Choom squad should be done soon!

@Ryltar Thamior: Thank you very much, am really glad you like them. Am really pleased you feel that my Blackshields retain the heresy vibe, as this was my major concern with them (problem is I just can't use mini marines anymore, they are too small and look off to me). Hopefully the next few additions keep the trend going.

Brief update just showing the progress on my seeker squad for the ETL, just need bases finishing and then can move onto the Choom squad:

tEdQx2c.jpg

Can't believe I had missed this new thread of yours, as I still saw your updates on Instagram I thought you had simply stopped posting! Glad to see I was wrong, this new blackshield force is looking very good, always loved your grimdark style, though it's a shame we won't see more of the Void Revenants... Still, the mainly black scheme looks ace!

Archived