Choosing a Regiment

The Wolfguard

Hey guys, so I mean, the question is probably obvious but, here it goes:

What made you guys pick the regiment that you did? Or do you collect mixes of different ones? I've been trying to compare rules and it's super hard, they all seem to overlap and the like, so next I went to fluff... But honestly, they're all really cool! I liked the idea of catachans because of the sheer badassness of them, they'd combine well with the tanks/infantry type list.. But then when I think about it they all seem to combine well with tanks/infantry lists etc..

Man, so what made you guys/gals choose?

Tallarn.

I like Armoured Sentinels and Leman Russ Tanks with all the trimming - removing the penalty from moving and shooting heavy weapons makes the aforementioned options very viable where they normally wouldn't be.

-Ran

I've yet to play with my Guard - they're still being constructed - so I'm a theoretical example only.

I started with the desire to play nonconventional. Everyone wanted Cadians or Tallarn, because gaming those bonuses. So I instantly said I wanted something else... And then, like you, I got lost in all the comparisons and options... So I simply forgot about it for a while. Went on about my list building and assembling and lore building irregardless of the Regimental Doctrines. Later, when revisiting the topic, I applied the question "What fits the background I came up with best?" - that answer was Vostroyans to a T. That extra range (and the shenanigans that come with it) hits all sorts of my happy spots on top of that.

We'll see if I remain so happy with my selection once I actually get some games in with them, though. :tongue.:

I chose Vostroyans, primarily because I love the models. They also have the added bonus of being a metal regiment that still has some special weapons available to purchase unlike mordians, tallarns, steel legion etc. I chose the regiment before 8th dropped so the doctrine didn't have anything to do with my choice. That being said, the vostroyan doctrine is one of the better ones imo.

Cadian

I chose Cadian because I have a fondness for Creed. I used to build Death Korps of Krieg lists because I wanted to use grenadiers and that awesome WS3+. Unfortuntely, I cannot afford DKoK minis, and I really love my Cadian models (Especially my kasrkin). Using Cadian Rules allows me to maximize my Command Points. 

Tallarn.

I like Armoured Sentinels and Leman Russ Tanks with all the trimming - removing the penalty from moving and shooting heavy weapons makes the aforementioned options very viable where they normally wouldn't be.

-Ran

Ahhh nice! You didn't fancy the extra range Leman's or the less random amount of hits Leman then? Moving and shooting them does sound pretty awesome especially when you can make them objective secured too! Have you done any outflanking shenanigans with the larger tanks that have paid off? Do you use the Tallarn models for your regular infantry too?

I've yet to play with my Guard - they're still being constructed - so I'm a theoretical example only.

I started with the desire to play nonconventional. Everyone wanted Cadians or Tallarn, because gaming those bonuses. So I instantly said I wanted something else... And then, like you, I got lost in all the comparisons and options... So I simply forgot about it for a while. Went on about my list building and assembling and lore building irregardless of the Regimental Doctrines. Later, when revisiting the topic, I applied the question "What fits the background I came up with best?" - that answer was Vostroyans to a T. That extra range (and the shenanigans that come with it) hits all sorts of my happy spots on top of that.

We'll see if I remain so happy with my selection once I actually get some games in with them, though. :tongue.:

My brother just started Vostroyan so they're the only army really off limit to me! Since we don't want duplicate armies, bit boring! Problem I've got is I've not got any miniatures or a background yet and am worried about getting models before I choose a regiment for obvious reasons! :smile.:

Man, so what made you guys/gals choose?

I didn't; I got all of the regiments! :laugh.:

Well, except for Cadia and Valhalla - I can only muster a couple of squads of each.

Painting them on the other hand... Yeah, that'll take more doing. :teehee:

Yeah, painting them is one part I'm not really looking forwards to.

My FLGS only had Cadian boxes.

Aha, fair enough! I hope you're enjoying it further down the line!

I chose Vostroyans, primarily because I love the models. They also have the added bonus of being a metal regiment that still has some special weapons available to purchase unlike mordians, tallarns, steel legion etc. I chose the regiment before 8th dropped so the doctrine didn't have anything to do with my choice. That being said, the vostroyan doctrine is one of the better ones imo.

Fair enough! The range does seem pretty awesome, especially on them bigger boards?

Sounds like you need the sacred path of the DIY regiment :wink: The models you want, with the play style and lore you want :thumbsup:

Aha! True, problem is I'd feel cheesy with catachan models in a Mordian regiment or something like that! Doesn't quite make sense I guess :')

Mix Cadian and Catachan bits=profit

No but seriously they look great mixed together for DIY. Or of course the expensive but totally rewarding Victoria Miniatures bits.

Krash

Oooh? Have you got any pictures of this by chance? Sounds good!

Cadian

I chose Cadian because I have a fondness for Creed. I used to build Death Korps of Krieg lists because I wanted to use grenadiers and that awesome WS3+. Unfortuntely, I cannot afford DKoK minis, and I really love my Cadian models (Especially my kasrkin). Using Cadian Rules allows me to maximize my Command Points. 

Oh man, I loved the Kasrkin models, are they still around anywhere? I do love the way Cadian rules work to be honest.

Edit: Sorry, I got slightly carried away with the quotes..

Edited by The Wolfguard

I'm like Milesposter, my guys are actually Renegades so at the time of buying Regimental Doctrine didn't come into it and I have yet to dress any of them for a game.

I initially wanted DKoK minis, too, but it would have increased the price of my force by about 250%, IIRC.

Edited by Res Ipsa Loquitur

I've got a mix of regiments for my Army group, each to fulfil a different role. I started guard in 5th ed, liked the tanks and Creed so got Cadians (plus I like the colour scheme). I've now got Krieg (assault element) because of the aesthetic and fluff, and Steel Legion (mechanised) because I've always wanted to try a full mech list and Armageddon seemed a natural fit. I have plans for Tallarn as a light recon force and possibly some Elysians to operate as a forward assault unit

I'd love some DKoK minis but damn they sure are expensive, jeeezzz...

That Squat Sly Marbo is amazing, and it's great to think you could have a little combat force of small guys who are as strong as space marines, nice!

Harrow, that's a lot of IG I assume! Nice though..

Has anyone tried much of Armageddon yet? I like their stories so far and the mechanised approach seems interesting?

Vahallan- I like the prolonged maximum effectiveness it affords my armor, especially when combined with psykers for night shroud/psychic barrier and with tech-priest enginseers for master of machines. It all contributes towards getting the most out of my armor for as long as possible. When combined with the timely use of the Take Cover and Defensive Gunners Stratagems as indicated, it helps my armor stay alive longer, and if my tanks are lasting longer, they are dishing out pain that much longer!

Edited by BIG ROB OF DEATH

Catachan

Was always trying to find a way to make guard infantry viable in close combat. The extra strength, straken attack, and actually useful flamers gives me the option to get up close and personal and still be somewhat viable. Since the stores around me didn't have them, I run a bunch of cadians and call them "catachan personal guard". Made one of the colonels into a governor type that makes his house guard wear "parade gear". Got the idea from an old Chief I had that made us wear dress blues in the desert when generals came in. Suuuuuper dumb.

I'd love some DKoK minis but damn they sure are expensive, jeeezzz...

That Squat Sly Marbo is amazing, and it's great to think you could have a little combat force of small guys who are as strong as space marines, nice!

Harrow, that's a lot of IG I assume! Nice though..

Has anyone tried much of Armageddon yet? I like their stories so far and the mechanised approach seems interesting?

Not actual FW Krieg, I use Anvil's Regiments line for that.

It's a fair bit but still WIP for now, been focussed on Inquisition as of late

Tallarn

Mines for fluff reasons. My guys are Slaanesh renegades who delight in causing extreme forms of terror in their victims. They excel in ambush tactics and guerrilla warfare, and do not use artillery, so the Tallarn rules were pretty much a given.

I picked Cadia and it has to do with my first real experience with 40K, I picked up Dawn of War 1 back about two years ago and played though the campaign and really liked the Imperial guard units you saved then when i went to play the expansion winter assault i just became in-trawled with the Cadian 412th unlike the Blood ravens these guys felt like they had to work for every mile, so about a yeah later i start looking to get into the physical hobby and when i brought up the Blood Ravens i was told they weren't a official chapter and most of the stuff in those games was in a Cannon limbo my heart sank and i asked "so i'm guessing Cadians aren't on the TT either" and when i got the reply "oh no those are a real thing their basically the poster boys of the guard" i only hesitated for a moment when i heard about the Praetorian guard but went strait back to Cadia as soon as i heard they where OOP.

so that's really it sure my regiments are called Valion for fluff but they are and will always be Run as Cadians no matter how hard it gets    

Cadian

Oh man, I loved the Kasrkin models, are they still around anywhere? I do love the way Cadian rules work to be honest.

The only place to get them is ebay. That's where most of mine came from. In fact, most of my army came from ebay, since I really wanted the metal models for my Guard. I think that Cadian rules should have allowed more flexibility than they do, simply because of how they encourage cadians to gunline. Creed and Kell together are a powerful combo though, as Kell can boost Creed, or any other AM officer (that includes Tempestor Primes) by allowing them to issue an extra order per turn. Creed also just adds 2 CP if he's the warlord, and his WT lets him get a free order on a 4+ (essentially) Pask is brutal with a 2+ to hit and rerolls to hit of 1's if he remains still, which he should. He's almost guaranteed to hit. Add to that he shoots twice if he stays still because of grinding advance. Cadians are a brutal gunline, and if you spend time getting them in position you can maximize their advantages. 

I'm even considering adding ratlings and ogryns to my army anyway (Even with Bullgryns), simply because it's more metal stuff. I really like metal models and it gives me a feeling of connection to my 3rd edition roots (since I got rid of my 3rd edition army way back). I detest finecast (it's too brittle and melty), and refuse to use it if I can get metal. 

The only thing that sucks about Kasrkin, is that they have to be taken as scions. I guess that's ok though, since they're a more mobile part of my army, they don't get to benefit from the cadian doctrine. I don't have enough infantry squads to field a brigade, plus a scion battalion as I'd like, so as to make optimal use of the scions (kasrkin).

Edited by Ulrik_Ironfist

I have tested out most of the regiments and I must say I have the most fun with Catachan. Although I'm most likely biased since they were my first army.

Catachans allow me to run much more fun lists as well as throw out more predator and Rambo quotes while playing.

If it has stats, we can kill it...

Tallarn.

-Ran

Ahhh nice! You didn't fancy the extra range Leman's or the less random amount of hits Leman then? Moving and shooting them does sound pretty awesome especially when you can make them objective secured too! Have you done any outflanking shenanigans with the larger tanks that have paid off? Do you use the Tallarn models for your regular infantry too?

To take the above with a grain of salt - I'm still building my IG army. I only recently returned to the hobby, so my 8th edition experience is only theoretical at this point.

As far as range goes - the standard LRBT with HB spnsons doesn't really need more. With an unwounded tank, Grinding Advance and the Tallarn doctrine, it's a 5" move, firing the Battle Cannon twice at one target and then nine Heavy Bolter shots and a heavy stubber at something else with no penalty to hit. Likewise with the Sentinels, without the Tallarn doctrine they're reduced to stationary pillboxes. 

I use the standard Cadians with some additions - there's a few pics in the Trooping the Colour thread at the top of the forum.

-Ran

I have had cadians since they came out... or at least, since I joined the hobby. My cadians are an all metal army from when all regiments were on general sale though.

I also plan to start a phantine air corps regiment, and a pretorian one, and a mordian one, and a tanith one, and a void armsmen one... rules wise... those reegiments with regimental rules will get them, and the others will be switched up as and how I feel like (tanith could be tallarn one game, then steel legion the next, then catachan the next for all it matters to me in terms of rules, the models/fluff are what will make them tanith to me). Pretorian will mostly be mordian, but occasionally I might choose to use vostie rules... depending on flavour. 

So I'd suggest pick a look/story you love, then go from there.

Talarn, had already painted a bunch of guys in desert colours and converted with tulbands and bandana like headgear.

Also I like the mobility it offers. Although I sometimes wish I had picked a different regiment. I am doing an all infantry army, so a lot of the bonusses for talarn are waisted on me. Everything with heavy weapons makes me wish I picked any other regiment, and without tanks and the price hike for plasma and melta makes it hard to stick to my theme (and Talarn has those juicy bonusses for tanks)...