Choosing a Regiment

The Wolfguard

Tallarn's real bonus is to vehicles, as shooting after advancing can be done by any Guard squad that receives the order "Forwards For the Emperor!" Normally only assault weapons can do this, and at a -1 penalty. Tallarn lets you save use officers for other orders. 

That said, Tallarn sentinels are really strong, and If I were to run my sentinels in their own detachment, it'd be as Tallarn. But I'm not a Cheeseweasel so I don't do that sort of thing.

Cadian born and bred. I LOVE Kasrkin, just wish they were in plastic (been looking at Anvil Industries stuff as well as the FW Hostile Environment sets to see if I can make "close enough" Kasrkin but I'm not sure they will be convincing enough).

And ADB's Cadian Blood, really makes me want a mechanised company.

Edited by Hfran Morkai

Cadian born and bred. I LOVE Kasrkin, just wish they were in plastic (been looking at Anvil Industries stuff as well as the FW Hostile Environment sets to see if I can make "close enough" Kasrkin but I'm not sure they will be convincing enough.

I've got the same issue with Kasrkin. The light torsos, armoured legs and armoured arms from Anvil (with the phase lance special wapon) plus either these: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-IE/Cadian-Infantry-Squad-with-Respirators-Upgrade-Pack.

Or my alternative is to use the head with the glasses from the HWS and add the CCS respirators. 

I play mine as Tallarn. I never use the infantry bonus though, I just use it to make my mechanised list semi-viable. Without ignoring penalties, my chimeras would be even more useless than they already are...

Cadian born and bred. I LOVE Kasrkin, just wish they were in plastic (been looking at Anvil Industries stuff as well as the FW Hostile Environment sets to see if I can make "close enough" Kasrkin but I'm not sure they will be convincing enough.

I've got the same issue with Kasrkin. The light torsos, armoured legs and armoured arms from Anvil (with the phase lance special wapon) plus either these: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-IE/Cadian-Infantry-Squad-with-Respirators-Upgrade-Pack.

Or my alternative is to use the head with the glasses from the HWS and add the CCS respirators.

I have used FW Hazardous torsos and Scion legs/arms. I also bought some armored legs from Anvil Industries to get some kneeling poses. They're still in the construction phase since they require lots of green stuff but I'm betting once they are painted up and blended in with the real Kasrkin it won't look that off.

This is some absolutely awesome stuff everybody! Couple more questions, are there any novels that helped everybody decide? I read dead men walking which made me fall in love with dkok but finance wise they're not possible so.. any more?

On another side, I love the idea of some brutal Armageddon but I was looking for a focus on quite a lot of Leman Russes in my list and they don't seem to benefit that too well? Is it best to look to cadian for rerolls or Tallarn for the movement does everybody reckon? Or even the Catachan rerolls.. choices are hard..

Glad to see other people combatting the Kasrkin issue as they're such awesome models.

I also apologise for not closing off my bracket in my original post, I've just noticed it and edited it in my post, as I know it can cause some anxiety in people.

On another side, I love the idea of some brutal Armageddon but I was looking for a focus on quite a lot of Leman Russes in my list and they don't seem to benefit that too well? Is it best to look to cadian for rerolls or Tallarn for the movement does everybody reckon? Or even the Catachan rerolls.. choices are hard..

Yeah, Armageddon is basically focused on mechanized infantry. I recommend Catachan if you’re Russ focused. I’ve enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by librisrouge

I picked Elysians because I absolutely love the poor guys! These poor stickers get dropped in to the worst combat zones unsupported, and are left to try to survive until reinforcements/support are able to break through to their positions!

A veteran Elysian is anyone that has made 8 combat did, so that says alot about their life expectancy. All this considered, the Elysians are completely a volunteer raised regiment, so these poor buggers are lining up on their own accord to jump to their deaths for the Emperor!

I'm also planning a Krieg force, again because I love their understanding that they were literally born to die in battle.

Both model ranges look amazing to me, which was really the main draw though. I'm not a huge fan of the gorilla Variants and Catachans, so Forge World had me from the get go.

I haven't played a game of 8th yet, but the deep strike possible of the Elysians, and lack of morale tests from shooting of the Krieg seem like they could both be fun times, plus at 5ppm, people should be less critical of my infantry squads!

My models are Catachan/Cadian/3rd Party hybrids, but I play them with Tallarn rules.  Mostly for fluff reasons - they are meant to be fast moving, hard hitting urban light infantry, who excel at ambushing the enemy with overwhelming firepower.  The Tallarn rules seem to fit them best,  but I would've KILLED for a Tanith regimental rule. 

I have Cadian Models, but play them as Vostroyans - red and gold... i can't afford those gorgeous metal models. I am really happy with how it play with my Conqueror and Punisher Leman Russ', and First Born Pride is really good on a Baneblade for that 3+ to hit. I thibk every regiment got merits, and you can always paint your guys in a universal theme, and play as whichever regiment you favor, from time to time :-)

I love DKoK, and would love to have a Regiment of them. There are only two problems with the models, the first being that they're FW, and thus will cost you an arm, a leg, the blood of a virgin, and the soul of your firstborn son. The second is that they seem to be 28mm true scale, an not 28mm heroic, so they look a tad off compared to other WH40k models. 

Aside from that, FW doesn't have non heavy weapons grenadiers. No special weapons and no hotshot lasgun dudes. 

I love DKoK, and would love to have a Regiment of them. There are only two problems with the models, the first being that they're FW, and thus will cost you an arm, a leg, the blood of a virgin, and the soul of your firstborn son. The second is that they seem to be 28mm true scale, an not 28mm heroic, so they look a tad off compared to other WH40k models.

Aside from that, FW doesn't have non heavy weapons grenadiers. No special weapons and no hotshot lasgun dudes.

Ramen is your friend! It's delicious and can sustain you on a long term basis!

Took address your other issue though, take a look at this picture:

8bmhEpy.jpg

These are my Elysians, not Krieg, but similarly sized. They are still heroic, just slightly more slender than GW minis. I'm using the Scion as a Company Commander in my Elysian Army, and while he is bulkier, I don't think they really look that off scale wise.

Edited by Danny Cyanide

Praetorians.

Because of the original limited edition box GW produced and, to a lesser extent, the movie Zulu.  I find it hilarious that the Perry Twins took some Mordians and gave them English Colonial helmets (?).

Mind you, using the ubiquitous Cadian minis would solve so many problems, both then and now.  But it was worth the trip.

After a lot of thought I think I'm going to do Tallarn personally, mostly because I like a slightly more mobile playstyle than the standard Guard gunline. Being able to actually make use of Sentinels- which I adore- is pretty appealing. I also sort of had to do something desert themed since I'll play them alongside my Blood Angels from time to time and they have desert bases.

I've settled on something of an odd paint scheme inspired by some desert camo the British used back during WWII.

Still working on basecoating but this is the general idea:

dprCR72.jpg

Which is inspired by

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/matilda3.jpg

I feel like it could be pretty striking on a Leman Russ

Edited by Pendent

My journey to a guard army has been a long one. I have wanted on since 5th and dabbled with Catachan, to be different. Ultimately I wound up converting them to renegades before trading them off. Most recently I got annoyed with how many of the same kind of space marine armies I was fighting when 8th dropped. So I traded of my Space Marines to get  bunch of Kasrkin models to make a scion force before the codex. I essential made the Cadian equivalent to an assault brigade.

Once the Codex dropped my army didn't work the way I had wanted it to, which was fine, but I wanted to keep that special forces feel. This is how I decided on Elysians. Their equipment and aesthetic really fit with what I was looking for. What's more, I could still use my Kasrkin as stormtroopers since Elysian regiments have a company of stormtroopers permanently attached. 

Now that I have  cohesive Elysian force, they have been pretty successful. I just recently overwhelmed a Mechanicus player by pinning him in his deployment zone with Stormtroopers and Stormies, then had the bulk of my army race across the field with mortar, sniper and missile support. All the while my curious little Cyclops managed to have a good bit of cover to park itself in the middle of a bunch of castelan robots and characters.

Luckily my wife want to do Imperial Guard down the line, so my armor is being donated to her lol, along with my "cute trucks" aka the Taurox and the siege drill.