HW squad or Heavy Mortar Battery?

Shamansky

Sorry if i start a topic which was discussed. If it was, than show me where to look please, beacuse search engine messed up a lot in all 'mortars' nad 'heavies' of the forum .

So the question is pretty obvious from subject. What do you think is better a squad of 3 mortars or a single heavy mortar with the crew?

Squad is 3d6 4/0/1, mortar is d6 6/-1/d3. squad is 6 wounds with 5+, moratr is 6 wounds, 4+ save and 3 crew guardsmen. 

I'm not asking about per point effectiveness. Just what do you think is better? I became curious because i can get one or two of those mortars for a quite a low price. But i have enough models that are stuck on a shelf already. 

Edited by Shamansky

Well I'm used to use three in past edition. O run them ad thudd gun for a wile, but now I dropped them. Theoretically mortars are anti infantry where HM are for heavy infantry, medium/light veihcles, but practically they suck at this. Although the models are awsome!!

Heavy weapons squad with mortars it's going to outperform the heavy mortars in almost any situation. And I've tried the heavy mortars a bunch in 8th because they look cool, I use old metal Catachan heavy weapon team models as crew, and they're a lot of fun for some reason.

If you want fun, go with heavy mortars. If you want efficiency, regular infantry mortars.

I enjoy running heavy mortars, I grab 2. Most people ignore them because they don’t put out Star Destroyer levels of damage, but they absolutely annihilate 2W units like Sang Guard, terminators, etc.