40K Katyushas

Does anyone know of a commercially available Katyusha model that works within the GW aesthetic or can be made to work within it without huge amounts of effort?

Also, if you looked across the table and saw Katyushas but your opponent said they were, say, Heavy Quad Launchers, would you have an issue with that?

I do too, and that was my initial plan; Basilisks and Manticores. However, my guys have committed some "light" treason and Renegades & Heretics can't take Manticores.

Manticores don't look too much like Katyushas, either.

Would you be ok with using Manticores to represent Heavy Quad Launchers, in-game?

Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail but I keep hearing people talk about how Wyverns are bad- can someone explain this a bit? Looking at it from the outside they seem pretty solid. It's less shots than heavy weapons teams with mortars but has some fringe benefits that seem to me like they'd balance it out a bit like the increased toughness or smaller footprint making it easier to keep fully out of LOS

Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail but I keep hearing people talk about how Wyverns are bad- can someone explain this a bit? Looking at it from the outside they seem pretty solid. It's less shots than heavy weapons teams with mortars but has some fringe benefits that seem to me like they'd balance it out a bit like the increased toughness or smaller footprint making it easier to keep fully out of LOS

The main problem with wyverns is not their shot output. They actually put out 1d6 more shots than a mortar squad. The problem is with points efficiency. Even with the Wyvern's ability to re-roll failed wounds, it still does less damage per point in cost than a mortar squad. A wyvern dishes out 1d6 more shots and rerolls of failed wounds, but at an increase of 70 points. Most players don't find that the wyvern does enough to make up for its cost, and it can't move and shoot effectively (unless tallarn). So Mortar squads are now once more a staple. 

I hope that answers your question.

Does anyone know of a commercially available Katyusha model that works within the GW aesthetic or can be made to work within it without huge amounts of effort?

Also, if you looked across the table and saw Katyushas but your opponent said they were, say, Heavy Quad Launchers, would you have an issue with that?

I'd have an issue with quad launchers, simply because they're not vehicles and can't move. Now, if you paid points for a centaur along with that heavy quad launcher so you could move it, I'd be more ok. Unless you're doing it for aesthetic purposes, and not trying to move the launchers.

As for the model, you could use the Taurox with a 6x6 wheel conversion and the launcher bits from a Manticore. That would actually look sick, and I'd love to see how you implement that. Here's a kit. I'm actually tempted to try that myself now, and use them as manticores...

They would be Heavy Quad Launchers for all game purposes.

The Taurox is a good idea, but I think I'd be ok with tracks. My army is 40k first, third-rate Red Army knock-off second.

But now I look at it, I'm mindful of how much cheaper it would be to just buy the Taurox Missile Rack as bitz and make them ground units, rather than truck-mounted.

Edited by Res Ipsa Loquitur