Chimera with bolter turret

sunspear

I am thinking about converting the turret on my chimeras to heavy bolters, I have heard about the gryphone pattern from FW and I saw that it's not available anymore.

So I can convert it, my question is, is the option in the AM codex the same as the gryphone pattern? Or do I need a FW book for that?

There's an option to replace the multi-laser with a single heavy bolter on a standard Chimera, in codex Astra Militarum... what is the difference between that and the Gryphone pattern? Do they have a twin heavy bolter?

Yes, the Gryphonne pattern has either a twin heavy bolter or an autocannon.

Given the update the Chimera model got, and how long the Gryphonne pattern has been around, I thought it was shame that GW didn't make the HB a twin HB or add in an autocannon when they re-did the kit.

Yes, they are easy to convert, but without being in the plastic kit, it means they don't get a Codex entry.

Thanks are Verlo!

I'm just a little apprehensive of the FW book becoming obsolete. Any advice?

No worries. If you like FW models and you play with people who also like FW, I’d buy it.

At the moment the FW 2x h.bolter Chimera is certainly one of the best configurations around, if not the best one altogether. Things can always change at a next round of codex adjustments.

I'd convert the turret rather than buy it (and magnetize it to swap the h.flamer): it is really easy - I happened to convert two just today and it is really quick if you have some bits.

The Gryphonne pattern is definitely a strong candidate for magnetization, just in case GW drops the FW entry at some point. 

I'm actually weighing up if I should go down a mechanized infantry road with my Hyrkan regiment. I've got a few old Chimeras that weren't going to get a run, but if each one could pump out 9 Heavy Bolter and 3 Heavy Stubber shots without penalty while moving (Tallarn Doctrine) then I'd have a mobile gunline with a lot of firepower.

-Ran

For anyone who has one (or more) baneblade variants (especially shadowsowrd/stormlord types with a fixed gun), the turret-mounted twin heavy bolter perfectly fits into a chimera turret ring. No conversion required. (though it might get expensive if you want to run multiples/dont use bitz sellers)