FP WIP log - Some Blackstone Fortress WIP’s

Ada

I got to working on Dorn again for a couple of evenings, managed to get a fair bit of work done on the legs. It’s not great but its a solid start.

EcOYIQ5.jpg

Hey man, very cool to see your other models and also interesting to see how Dorn started, how come you decided to bail on the first attempt, what specifically about it didnt you like. I may come back to glance at these guys while painting my possessed to inspire me to try a little bit harder, mostly I've been on Bolter to check out and share conversions, but i really should try to improve my painting so it can catch up with my conversions.

Very cool

Cheers mate, that version of Dorn seems like a lifetime ago now .

I mean, looking at it now, I’d say I don’t like the san colour. It’s not really what I was trying to achieve. However, it was my very first attempt at nmm of any kind so there was bound to be a learning curve. I’ve stripped it about 4 times in total now. . I made the decision this time though to finish it, no matter what. So we’ll see what happens.

Checked out your blog, some wonderful stuff there. Can’t wait to see the Thing conversion painted up

• 1 month later...

This guy looks great, is all of this the original model? I love his pale happy face, he looks like Uncle Fester! Armour looks awesome, really wish I could get that level of detail in my models. How do you work on that scale, do you use a magnifying glass. I don't consider myself to have bad eyesight but I do struggle with areas like the eyes and other very fine details... which is only becoming more common as the models improve in quality.  I know I need better brushes, I've seen people painting with quite big brushes that get a mentally find point on them, and obviously if you look after them they will stay like that. I don't really do any brush maintenance... I dont even know what brush soap is. I was thinking of getting some isopropyl alcohol to clean my brushes after use (and for all the other miracle uses I've heard of) 

Cheers mate. Yeah it’s all the original model.

Funnily enough I was talking about brush size last night on stream, I generally use a size 2 brush, currently use Broken Toad brushes, and that’s all I use. The point stays super fine and allows me to pull of the detail work quite easily. I deffo use a magnifying glass, it’s essential in my opinion but it does depend on your eyesight lol. Mines not so great and staring at a computer screen all day strains my eyes too so I do find the magnification essential.

I used to use cheaper brushes at one time but they don’t last, and for me a higher quality brush is a must have. You should have a look at Broken Toad brushes, they’re amazing in my opinion.

A buddy of mine bought brush soap and I laughed, but I ended up buying some and I have to say it’s worth it. It’s not just got for cleaning it can restore and preserve the brush too so long as it’s not too far gone of course. I have the masters brush soap. Never used isopropyl so I can’t comment on it but I’ve heard it’s ok.

Thanks for the feedback on the model, appreciated as always how are your warp portals coming along?

Edging closer to completion here with this chap, uncle festus in power armour.

FArouYP.jpg

kn7X1pM.jpg

Not sure what colour to go for on the cloak yet, leaning towards another muted tone but there’s a bit of me that wants to make it pop!!!

Thanks for looking.

As I wasn’t streaming last night I couldn’t work on Felthius so I got some work done on Rogal again.

Started adding some texture to the cloak, I’ve decided the armour is done for now at least as its just becoming an obsession trying to perfect it .

UOGwPzD.jpg

rYGE21r.jpg

Thoughts and feedback much appreciated.

Hi mate, thanks for dropping into the stream on Monday,

Just these pics which I think you might have already seen mate, I’ll be looking to finish him off in the next two streams so I can get some good pics posted on the main site this Sunday.

Ugl5bSz.jpg

5mTxZZE.jpg

Quite like the veins in the cloak, I think they complete the effect nicely.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another little wip project. The navigator from Blackstone Fortress and the Kroot.

JEuTUPO.jpg

v9z2tRT.jpg

x4PuMMN.jpg

YMAdBKu.jpg

And a little diorama I’ve been working on.

9NXORNQ.jpg

9NXORNQ.jpg

J7ulEOf.jpg

B62KHWS.jpg

I’ve pianted most of this live on my twitch channel at one point or another twitch.tv/ade_cook drop by and give me a follow

Really promising start on the Black Fortress models and that diorama looks really well composed. I'm not sure about the colours used on the Kroot's rifle stock, though, they seema  bit incongruous.

Can you go into more detail on the rifle stock?

Its a spike of metal bolted onto the stock, I quite liked the feel of an antique looking stock with a metal spike bolted to it. I feel that as the tracker rides with the Rogue trader some high class elements not typically associated with a Kroot, reflect this long standing partnership.

Its all personal taste I understand that :) just interested in your opinion.

Really promising start on the Black Fortress models and that diorama looks really well composed. I'm not sure about the colours used on the Kroot's rifle stock, though, they seema  bit incongruous.

Its a spike of metal bolted onto the stock, I quite liked the feel of an antique looking stock with a metal spike bolted to it. I feel that as the tracker rides with the Rogue trader some high class elements not typically associated with a Kroot, reflect this long standing partnership.

Its all personal taste I understand that :smile.: just interested in your opinion.

Yeah no worries, I'm not especially well versed in theory or anything so excuse me if I misuse any terms, but the saturation and tone of the wood on the stock seem out of step with the rest of the model's muted palette in a way that's jarring. I think that with your clear skill you'd be able to do something that blends in a bit more while still being eye-catching and denoting a valued gift bestowed upon the Kroot by the RT.

Really promising start on the Black Fortress models and that diorama looks really well composed. I'm not sure about the colours used on the Kroot's rifle stock, though, they seema bit incongruous.

Its all personal taste I understand that :) just interested in your opinion.

Yeah no worries, I'm not especially well versed in theory or anything so excuse me if I misuse any terms, but the saturation and tone of the wood on the stock seem out of step with the rest of the model's muted palette in a way that's jarring. I think that with your clear skill you'd be able to do something that blends in a bit more while still being eye-catching and denoting a valued gift bestowed upon the Kroot by the RT.
Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback.

I think you make a fair point.

I’m not sure I find it jarring, it is high gloss and indeed the saturation is significantly greater so it possibly does stand out a tad more than it should.

I tend to revisit models after a break when I have finished them so i’ll review it again then

Archived