Scouts loadout Q

Markconz

So just got 15 more scouts to build (for Sanguinius!)

Tossing up between 1x CCW squad, and 2 x bolter with heavy bolter squads.

Or just 3 x CCW squads given red thirst...

Already have:

1x 5 man CCW squad.

2x 5 man sniper squads.

Thoughts? Want to keep at 55, maybe some at 65 with heavy bolter for dakka and hellfire potential?

Thanks.

I’ve got 20 Scouts arriving tomorrow as well. I’m planing on bolters with a heavy bolter for each squad. I’ll likely magnetize the sergeant...and maybe the heavy bolter just in case I need the 40 points else where. I’m not interested in CCW Scouts, personally. I’m merely using them for board control and screen clearing.

I run them as cheap distraction units that punch well above their weight with a Storm Bolter/Chainsword sarge and the rest with pistols and combat knives.

They hands down win vs most other cheap screening units, such as rangers and such, and can even take on 10 man guard squads and come out ahead, as long as your opponent doesn't roll overwatch like a god. (No I'm not bitter about the overcharged plasma and lascannon, and 3 lasgun wounds from charging that infantry squad, why do you ask?

I'm going with Bolters and a power sword on the Sarge. As sfPanzer said, their primary purpose to to screen deepstrikers and other similar things. Anything they do past that is just bonus. With that in mind, I choose bolters because they can sit on objectives and still add something (we play Maelstrom pretty exclusively), and the power sword cause, hey, it's 4 points.

I like my scouts mainly with heavy bolter and boltguns. You can give the Searge the Stormbolter and Chainswordcombi for cheap extra dakka.

I have two of the Heavy bolter squads and one CC squad which i play plain with knives or sometimes with a powerweapon if i have the points left.

Cheap and cheerful my experience with scouts is that its all good. I like a mix and my shotgunners have a reputation now (for lucky armor saves of all things). Scouts swing above their weight. For cool id go a squad of each. For tournament 2 choppy with no upgrade and 1 bolter with heavy bolter. No real wrong way to run em other than cammo cloak. Should have been -1to hit but raven guard. . .

I play them with 3 5man bolter/heavy bolter squads and 3 5man close combat squads. The close combat squads usually do a decent amount of damage and I usually just park the bolter ones on objectives and occasionally use the mortal wound strategem with the heavy bolters.

Cheap and cheerful my experience with scouts is that its all good. I like a mix and my shotgunners have a reputation now (for lucky armor saves of all things). Scouts swing above their weight. For cool id go a squad of each. For tournament 2 choppy with no upgrade and 1 bolter with heavy bolter. No real wrong way to run em other than cammo cloak. Should have been -1to hit but raven guard. . .

Sigh. We can’t have it all, eh? I just got 4 squads in the mail today. I’m pretty stoked. Like I said before, pretty sure I’ll go bolters with heavy bolters for all 4. I don’t plan on charging mine in anywhere.

I've been using four squads:

One full knife squad (Bolter and Chainsword Sergeant, though considering swapping out for a Power Sword)

One full Bolter squad (Chainsword Sergeant)

Two Bolter squads as above but with one Heavy Bolter in each.

The Bolter squads are definitely excellent. The Knife squads have never really done much of particular note; the all-Bolter squad is generally pretty solid if somewhat forgettable; and the Heavy Bolters are useful for Hellfire platforms and otherwise slightly upgunned Bolter squads.

But Bolters are, IMO, better than knives because of their flexibility. They can contribute in more situations and they're still able to jump into combat decently.

I would think that 10th Company Captain would not be leading from the front as his charges need to be overseed and generally looked after (compared to a fully-fledged battle brother).

So I'd go for some long range firepower. The CCW is an obvious addition too (Blood Angel after all), but not the hammer. Maybe a fist? To properly POINT THOSE BRATS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!! Or smash a desk after some hard-night report filing.

Jump pack might also be nice to allow him to be "everywhere at once" as he has lots of charges. ;)

I dug out two squads of Advanced Space Crusade scouts for my last game. Four pistols and a heavy Bolter isn't really optimal but they were surprisingly good at holding objectives and giving a bit of long range fire support, while being better able to charge into stuff that dropped in on them late in the game.

(Not that my friends cared one way or the other, but are Advanced Space Crusade scouts legal for tournaments and such?)

I dug out two squads of Advanced Space Crusade scouts for my last game. Four pistols and a heavy Bolter isn't really optimal but they were surprisingly good at holding objectives and giving a bit of long range fire support, while being better able to charge into stuff that dropped in on them late in the game.

(Not that my friends cared one way or the other, but are Advanced Space Crusade scouts legal for tournaments and such?)

Of course they are :tu:

And I’d love to see photos of them :)

Hello,

I have between three to four 5x man units all with sniper rifles:

1. Use them as screening units if necessary

2. Hold objectives

3. Take objectives

4. The sixes on wounding, causing a mortal wound, really irritate my opponent

5. Great for picking out units/characters and putting some wounds on them. The mortal wound rolls really irritate my opponent