Best Primaris for BA?

ServoBadger

The dread has been my least favorite unit that I have actually played with. My favorite that I have played with are the plasma Inceptors.

I currently run:

2x5 intercessors with basic guns.

2x3 Inceptors (1 group with Bolters, 1 with Plasma)

1x3 Aggresssors (yes, with flamers) in a Repulsor Transport. 

I also sometimes use a unit of 5 hellblasters with the stock plasma.

I do like the results that the Repulsor and the Aggressors have done in Game, but I use them almost as much as a distraction, as not. 

I don't like The primaris Apothacary, but maybe once he has some Blood Angel Specific Rules.

I hope blood angels will get the first Inceptors captain, chaplain, Lieutenant or librarian

I’m hoping when Russ’ mutts get their book a second wave of Primaris will be released and we will get some standard JP assault troops. Mono build bolt carbine/chainsword or powersword. The models would look awesome.

As is I think I’ve had the most success with Intercessors, but at this point I’ve also had success with Hellblasters, Aggressors and Inceptors.

I’ve pledged 2 x 3 inceptors for blood and zeal, but I’m not sure how I want to outfit them. I was originally thinking all of them with assault bolters, but now I’m wondering if I should make three of them with plasma. Anybody have experience that they want to weigh in with?

i have 2x3 with assault bolters and 1x3 with plasma exterminators.

the plasma ones are amazing but really need to stick near a captain to get the most out of them - even moreso than hellblasters IMO, because if any die, they're super expensive.
the assault bolter ones havent done too much for me, but my opponents almost all run some form of power armour.

I’ve pledged 2 x 3 inceptors for blood and zeal, but I’m not sure how I want to outfit them. I was originally thinking all of them with assault bolters, but now I’m wondering if I should make three of them with plasma. Anybody have experience that they want to weigh in with?

my main use for assault marines is getting 5 plasma shots. I’ve been rolling around the idea of plasma Inceptors instead, so no experience per se, but assault marines have been reasonable, plus they have a couple spare models, but the Inceptors get an average of 12 shots for cheaper than two squads of plasma assault marines. I’m tempted to buy a couple boxes of plasma Inceptors.

i have 2x3 with assault bolters and 1x3 with plasma exterminators.

the plasma ones are amazing but really need to stick near a captain to get the most out of them - even moreso than hellblasters IMO, because if any die, they're super expensive.

the assault bolter ones havent done too much for me, but my opponents almost all run some form of power armour.

A three man squad with the bolters still kills 3-4 MEQ before potentially charging. My bolter Inceptors have consistently performed incredibly well for me regardless of what I'm playing. They're even on of our better options against something like Custodes

My Bolter Inceptors never failed to prove their worth to me so far. Not a lot of infantry that can just shrug away 18 S5 AP-1 shots at BS3+.

I have no field experience with the Plasma variant, however mathhammer-wise they're even better than the Bolter variant. However they do need a Captain nearby or they simply kill themselves with ~4 shots per model.

So I just ran some numbers… The plasma inceptors make for better anti-tank in terms of sheer damage I’ll put that a dedicated antitank predator… By a very wide margin... I think I’m going to be building one squad or each right now. This is quite important, because the rest of my list at the moment it’s rather lacking in the anti-take department. This is quite important, because the rest of my list at the moment is rather lacking in the anti-tech department. After some play testing I’ll decide whether or not to make my third squad bolters or plasma.

My definite next purchases primaris wise are going to be inceptors and aggresors (no surprise there!) I wish there was a primaris based HQ or unit that can keep up with inceptors and provide bonuses. Maybe some sort of moritat (ala 30k) type character in the future? IDK.

Back on topic, I want to throw my chip into using plasma inceptors. They are just too good to not have at least one squad.

If you get that close with something with a Deathmask, Reivers and a Primaris psyker you're either dominating the board already or it's in the middle of your army ... I think LD is their smallest problem. :biggrin.:

Never fear Lieutenant, we've got them exactly where they want us! :biggrin.:

As I said, hardly tournament worthy, but amusing. :P

Reivers seem to really want to be good, but they are probably the only primaris marines I can't think of a decent use for in, well, nearly any SM army, let alone BA. The only thing that came to mind was the -1LD stacking with the mask. If the pistol was a Pistol 2 or Pistol D3 however.............

Except for the extra wound, their inflexibility really hampers them in comparison to just about any other SM veteran squad, which really sucks.

If you get that close with something with a Deathmask, Reivers and a Primaris psyker you're either dominating the board already or it's in the middle of your army ... I think LD is their smallest problem. :biggrin.:

As I said, hardly tournament worthy, but amusing. :tongue.:

Reivers seem to really want to be good, but they are probably the only primaris marines I can't think of a decent use for in, well, nearly any SM army, let alone BA. The only thing that came to mind was the -1LD stacking with the mask. If the pistol was a Pistol 2 or Pistol D3 however.............

Except for the extra wound, their inflexibility really hampers them in comparison to just about any other SM veteran squad, which really sucks.

Give them carbines and use grav-chutes to put them on an objective your opponent wants and then laugh to yourself when they take a stupid amount of effort to dislodge for a very minimal investment on your part. Give them carbines and the grapnel launchers and bring them into your opponents  backfield a few turns into the game and just turn them into as much of a nuisance as possible by tying up your opponents fire support or clearing objectives. Give them either carbines or knives and use them to help thin low toughness screening units before your heavy hitters start arriving.

They aren't designed to kill lots of stuff. They're designed to be a durable, reasonably cost effective harassment unit and they are absolutely perfect in that role.

Give them carbines and use grav-chutes to put them on an objective your opponent wants and then laugh to yourself when they take a stupid amount of effort to dislodge for a very minimal investment on your part. Give them carbines and the grapnel launchers and bring them into your opponents  backfield a few turns into the game and just turn them into as much of a nuisance as possible by tying up your opponents fire support or clearing objectives. Give them either carbines or knives and use them to help thin low toughness screening units before your heavy hitters start arriving.

They aren't designed to kill lots of stuff. They're designed to be a durable, reasonably cost effective harassment unit and they are absolutely perfect in that role.

Here's the thing with that argument.

I'll freely admit your tactics are sound, and you have a good use for them in mind, but WHY on sacred terra are you paying for a -1 to LD in 3" rage for a -harasser- / objective holder unit?

Scout bikers can throw up more firepower with more options and the same wound profile (with better T), and they can have a kitted out sarge if they choose to. Yes, they loose the tar-pit status to a degree, but they can drop Mortal wounds as well.

I just see them as overpriced scouts with a 24" range shotgun.

IF they had a sarge with an Aux G-Launcher to lauch shock grenades however................  

Here's the thing with that argument.

I'll freely admit your tactics are sound, and you have a good use for them in mind, but WHY on sacred terra are you paying for a -1 to LD in 3" rage for a -harasser- / objective holder unit?

Scout bikers can throw up more firepower with more options and the same wound profile (with better T), and they can have a kitted out sarge if they choose to. Yes, they loose the tar-pit status to a degree, but they can drop Mortal wounds as well.

I just see them as overpriced scouts with a 24" range shotgun.

IF they had a sarge with an Aux G-Launcher to lauch shock grenades however................  

That leadership debuff can be handy if you charge them into a heavy weapons team or something. The big advantage that you're ignoring though is that you can deep strike them. That means placing them wherever you want on the table and protects them from getting wiped out before they're where you want them to me.

My favorite example of them being useful is when I dropped them onto an objective in some ruins in the middle of my opponents deployment zone that he hadn't bothered to secure when he was making his deployment. Those reivers were able to weather multiple turns of shooting from a very large chunk of his army including several Leman Russ while at the same time denying my opponent from scoring off that objective and giving me those points instead. That play turned this particular game from something I was most likely going to win by a few points into a complete blowout. That's not something you can do with Scout Bikers, as much as I love them.