Can you hear me now!

Hi everyone and happy Friday! I am getting back into this awesome hobby with my Emperor's Children but have a few questions.

1. How would you recommend me building a sorcerer in a pure noise marine army?

2. What other HQ choice would compliment my army?

I currently have three squads of 6 nosie marines with sonic blasters,noise champion with bolt pistol and power weapon and a noise marine with blast master.

I also have a squad of terms equiped as they come. (Please comment on this as well, if you have better build)

One rhino with the intention of getting 2 more.

Thank you and my Slaanesh be with you!

Edited by Slaaneshlovechild

Welcome to the B&C - and back to Slaanesh! How long has it been since you've played? A lot has changed recently as 8th Edition runs very differently.

Noise Marines are good, especially with Stratagems, a good shooty unit to build a list around. Sorcerers are good too you can't really do a bad build with them, the type of force weapon depends on what you're after but a Lord is also very useful as his aura of re-rolling 1s really helps nearby units (such as those Noise Marines...). Terminators are pretty good, and can do a lot of work arriving from Reserves (especially with Stratagem assistance). When you say "as they come", do you mean from the box? Don't forget to post pictures of your models :thumbsup:

Hello and welcome fellow servant of the best chaos god.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from your list so far. You can never go wrong with a sorcerer. Heck, I'd suggest taking more than one tbh. They're the perfect utility unit that functions like a Swiss army knife.

Any further suggestions from me honestly come down to how you want to play your army. If you want them to be completely dominant in the shooting phase, obliterators, Noise Marines, Chosen (though they're quite costly) and havoks are the way to go. If you're looking for speed, go with bikers and jump pack Marines.

Welcome to the B&C - and back to Slaanesh! How long has it been since you've played? A lot has changed recently as 8th Edition runs very differently.

Noise Marines are good, especially with Stratagems, a good shooty unit to build a list around. Sorcerers are good too you can't really do a bad build with them, the type of force weapon depends on what you're after but a Lord is also very useful as his aura of re-rolling 1s really helps nearby units (such as those Noise Marines...). Terminators are pretty good, and can do a lot of work arriving from Reserves (especially with Stratagem assistance). When you say "as they come", do you mean from the box? Don't forget to post pictures of your models :thumbsup:

I am back after playing my last game in 3rd edition.

Just not sure if the sorcerer should wear term armour or not. Little things like this is helpful for me. Also, I hope no one is offended by my subject line. It's just a play on noise weapons ans hearing lol.

Yes, with the terminators since I don't have extra bits, they would be equipped the way the come in the box. Is this effective or not?

Also, should I beef up my units from 6 to 10? And what else would you add to the army for a bigger punch.

Noise Marines are good, especially with Stratagems, a good shooty unit to build a list around. Sorcerers are good too you can't really do a bad build with them, the type of force weapon depends on what you're after but a Lord is also very useful as his aura of re-rolling 1s really helps nearby units (such as those Noise Marines...). Terminators are pretty good, and can do a lot of work arriving from Reserves (especially with Stratagem assistance). When you say "as they come", do you mean from the box? Don't forget to post pictures of your models :tu:

Just not sure if the sorcerer should wear term armour or not. Little things like this that is helpful for me.

Yes, with the terminators since I don't have extra bits, they would be equipped the way the come in the box. Is this effective or not?

Also, should I beef up my units from 6 to 10? And what else would you add to the army for a bigger punch.

It all depends on how you want to play. Are you going to start the game with the sorcerer on the field? If so, Terminator armor is good, but not really necessary. Are you going to be dropping your sorcerer in mid game? If so, go with a jump pack or terminator armor. Is your sorcerer going for close combat? If so, a jump pack or Terminator armor is advised.

Again, I highly recommend that you take more than one sorcerer. Two-four is my recommended amount.

As far as other units go, I suggest taking a rhino, sonic dreadnought, a few biker units, and maybe a daemon Prince.

Also, are you just going to be playing Emperor's Children or are you going to use Daemons as well?

Noise Marines are good, especially with Stratagems, a good shooty unit to build a list around. Sorcerers are good too you can't really do a bad build with them, the type of force weapon depends on what you're after but a Lord is also very useful as his aura of re-rolling 1s really helps nearby units (such as those Noise Marines...). Terminators are pretty good, and can do a lot of work arriving from Reserves (especially with Stratagem assistance). When you say "as they come", do you mean from the box? Don't forget to post pictures of your models :tu:

Just not sure if the sorcerer should wear term armour or not. Little things like this that is helpful for me.

It all depends on how you want to play. Are you going to start the game with the sorcerer on the field? If so, Terminator armor is good, but not really necessary. Are you going to be dropping your sorcerer in mid game? If so, go with a jump pack or terminator armor. Is your sorcerer going for close combat? If so, a jump pack or Terminator armor is advised.

Again, I highly recommend that you take more than one sorcerer. Two-four is my recommended amount.

As far as other units go, I suggest taking a rhino, sonic dreadnought, a few biker units, and maybe a daemon Prince.

Also, are you just going to be playing Emperor's Children or are you going to use Daemons as well?

All EC, no daemons. Also, you mentioned dread? I don't see them as an option in the new dex. I love the fact of having multiple sorcerers. Maybe, one or two can be dropped in and one can start go for the throat of a until right away.

I would be interested in a havoc squad with lascannons if that fits the theme and a daemon prince just because lol

Hello and welcome fellow servant of the best chaos god.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from your list so far. You can never go wrong with a sorcerer. Heck, I'd suggest taking more than one tbh. They're the perfect utility unit that functions like a Swiss army knife.

Any further suggestions from me honestly come down to how you want to play your army. If you want them to be completely dominant in the shooting phase, obliterators, Noise Marines, Chosen (though they're quite costly) and havoks are the way to go. If you're looking for speed, go with bikers and jump pack Marines.

I want an orgy of sound to rip my enemies apart. So, as much noise marines as I can have tbh.

The plastic box comes with plenty of options, but I've not used it so I don't know the exact contents. Enough to give you what you need I'm sure :) If you take Termies a TDA Sorcerer is a good fit, the extra durability is nice too but as Slan says not essential. Multiple Sorcerers is well worth considering as mentioned, it's a slot you can do a lot of good with. Speaking of which: Daemon Princes are very good especially if you give him the Intoxicating Elixir relic ;)

Havocs are good, and Lascannons will do some heavy lifting for you but as you're taking NM that would be making your army very shooty based. Not that it isn't effective, but might be a consideration. For example with the Slaaneshi rule you're always counting as charging which is very nice to have.

All EC, no daemons. Also, you mentioned dread? I don't see them as an option in the new dex. I love the fact of having multiple sorcerers. Maybe, one or two can be dropped in and one can start go for the throat of a until right away.

I would be interested in a havoc squad with lascannons if that fits the theme and a daemon prince just because lol

Sonic dreads are in an FAQ for the imperial armour codex. Here it is word for word.

Q: There is no datasheet for an Emperor’s Children Sonic

Dreadnought – is there a datasheet I should use for this model?

A: Use the Helbrute datasheet on page 33 of Index:

Chaos. It must replace its <Mark of Chaos> keyword

with Slaanesh, it must replace its <Legion> keyword

with Emperor’s Children, and it has two additional

wargear options; it may take a doom siren, and it may

replace its multi-melta with two blastmasters.

Are you suggesting some close combat options beside my HQs?

If so, what can you suggest?

noise Marines equipped for CC are actually really good. Raptors and warp talons can be beastly with the right rolls. Chaos Spawn can slow tie up you enemies, soak up some hits and are ok for their cost.

Just a side note as no one else has mentioned it. G.W. changed the name of chaos dredd’s to Hellbrute when 40k went from 5th to 6th. Hellbrutes are chaos dredds. May save you some confusion.

noise Marines equipped for CC are actually really good. 

I disagree. Exchanging your three S4 shots to get one more S4 AP0 attack in melee is a terrible idea and they'd still be a footslogging melee unit with nothing but a few S4 AP0 attacks. If you want melee go with a different unit but let Noise Marines do what they do best and give them their Sonic Blaster.

I disagree. Exchanging your three S4 shots to get one more S4 AP0 attack in melee is a terrible idea and they'd still be a footslogging melee unit with nothing but a few S4 AP0 attacks. If you want melee go with a different unit but let Noise Marines do what they do best and give them their Sonic Blaster.

well I've had a ball using them in close combat. Exchanging four ranged attacks for three close combat attacks isn't bad. Especially when they can shoot my opponents while they're adjacent and even while they die.

well I've had a ball using them in close combat. Exchanging four ranged attacks for three close combat attacks isn't bad. Especially when they can shoot my opponents while they're adjacent and even while they die.

The thing is, you still have the two base attacks even with the Sonic Blaster anyway. You literally exchange 3 S4 AP0 attacks at 24" for 1 S4 AP0 attack at 1". Needs no scientist to see that it's a bad trade.

I am adding 5 terms to give me the option of going after tougher units.

I am just confused, i have now idea on how to equip them since I only have one box set and no other option. Should I just build them as is or get more terms to give me better build options.

As for the hellbrute/sonic dred. Can I equip blast master on them?

There are bitz sites. I don't know where you are but the best that I know (Let the Dice Decide and Bitz and Kitz) are both based in the U.K..

Shipping to my gaffe, in Canada, is reasonable.

5×Combi-Plasma seems a popular choice, mostly 'cause of the Endless Cacophony strategem. Drop in and fire 20 Plasma shots. Boom.

If you're limited to one box I would I go with 3 Power Axes, a Power Maul and a Power Fist for the left arm, probably.

If you bought a Terminator Lord box you could add a Terminator Sorceror and you'd have more options for the squad's melee arm. You could take four Axes and a Lightning Claw instead, for example.

EDIT - The FAQ states that a Sonic Dreadnought can replace its Multi-Melta with two Blastmasters.

Edited by Res Ipsa Loquitur

If you go with 5 Combi-Plasmas you don't really care about melee 'cause you want them shooting twice every turn for as long as possible, so I'd probably go cheap and just do 5 Axes.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but a Terminator Sorceror with a Combi-Plasma would add up to 4 Plasma shots a turn to the unit and can take Warptime to keep them out of charge range.

If you go with 5 Combi-Plasmas you don't really care about melee 'cause you want them shooting twice every turn for as long as possible, so I'd probably go cheap and just do 5 Axes.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but a Terminator Sorceror with a Combi-Plasma would add up to 4 Plasma shots a turn to the unit and can take Warptime to keep them out of charge range.

Great point, that will be the direction I go in. Can this unit with term sorcerer take out tanks, walkers, the heavier things?

I mean, 20 S7 shots a turn is going to put a dent in a lot of things but it isn't the most efficient way to deal with tanks in my opinion, 5xCombi-Meltas would be.

However, Meltas cost more than Plasmas, aren't as versatile and aren't Rapid Fire, so you only get ten shots with Endless Cacophony rather than the 20 you'd get from Plasma. If you face a lot of armour it might be a way to go.

I'd settle for adding a Power Fist to 5xPlasma and telling myself that if I needed to finish off a tank I could probably charge it.

Also that I have two Havoc squads with eight Lascannons between them lurking ominously in those ruins back there...