Knight Armigers supporting Blood Angels?

Karhedron

I am planning to pick up Forgebane because the baby-knight Armigers look cool. The stats and points costs when they were revealed prompted some initial disappointment and are summarised here. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/12/unit-focus-armiger-warglaivesgw-homepage-post-4/

The build with a melta gun, thermal spear and chain cleaver apparently weighs in at about 240 points. On the face of it, this seems a bit steep as the Armigers cannot withdraw from combat and still shoot like their larger brothers, nor do they get any stomp attacks which leaves them very vulnerable to getting bogged down by hordes.

But, they are fast and pack quite a punch, particularly against tanks/monsters so I started working out what you would need to spend to get a unit with similar damage output and how it would compare defensively.

Jump Pack veterans with 3 melta guns and 2 Thunder Hammers actually match the damage output of the Armiger pretty well. Their jump packs match the speed. They are a lot less durable but can deploy from Reserves which helps them avoid enemy alpha strikes while delivering one of their own. A vet squad costs about 180 points meaning that they are 25% cheaper than the Armiger. So, is the baby Knight worth the extra 60 points?

This may sound like an odd comparison but I actually think in a lot of ways that the Armiger has strong potential synergy with Blood Angels. It is fast enough to keep up with our fast units while bringing enough firepower and CC punch to be interesting. It is weak to hordes but we have DC and Bolter Inceptors who excel at cutting through chaff to allow the Armigers get at more valuable targets.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or could a couple of Armigers provide some valuable and mobile anti-tank support while the sons of Sanguinius soar to victory?

I'll pick them up for the fun of it. Together with a knight they enable the full stratagems too, becomes a CP giving detachment too.

Will build them modular/magnetized So once they recieve different weapon options I can swap. The biggest would be if they recieve the crusader version, dual weapon. They are fast and can move into advantageous positions while minimizing opponent LOS.

They have extremely low amount of attacks tho so an additional weapon would do little for them unless it adds a huge amount of attacks.

Most of the time you'll have to send both of them against the same target and rely on the shooting with the melee only as backup plan (if possible at all due bubble wrap) to use them efficiently.

I think they could be pretty good. Plus, they are just awesome models. If I can find someone to split the Forgebane, I might get them. Otherwise I am going to wait until the full kit actually comes out and see if there are any other options.

The full kit is already in forgebane.

Also, expect the full kit to cost you £45 per Armiger, while forgebane costs £95.

I think they could be pretty good. Plus, they are just awesome models. If I can find someone to split the Forgebane, I might get them. Otherwise I am going to wait until the full kit actually comes out and see if there are any other options.

Also, expect the full kit to cost you £45 per Armiger, while forgebane costs £95.

There is some strong evidence that there will be 1 - 2 more sprues adding other weapon options when the kit comes stand-alone :)

There is some strong evidence that there will be 1 - 2 more sprues adding other weapon options when the kit comes stand-alone :smile.:

Yea? Got a link? That sounds interesting.

I can see a repack with another sprue in a year's time, like the Knight, but it would be exceptional for GW to leave sprues out of a boxed set. They have not done it before.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 'extra options sprue' was already in the box, just not shown on the models - like the alternative weapons for the rangers and immortals. 

There is some strong evidence that there will be 1 - 2 more sprues adding other weapon options when the kit comes stand-alone :smile.:

Yea? Got a link? That sounds interesting.

I can see a repack with another sprue in a year's time, like the Knight, but it would be exceptional for GW to leave sprues out of a boxed set. They have not done it before.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 'extra options sprue' was already in the box, just not shown on the models - like the alternative weapons for the rangers and immortals. 

No link but a few rumour sites, guys on here (and now the GW Rumour engine is quite clearly showing some Knight Exhausts) are slating the Knights codex in the next "Round" (after Dark Eldar).

There will be a new Knight(s) entirely and the Armiger will get additional sprue(s) for weapons. The main source for the latter states that the sprue with the weapons, Ad Mech style armour plates & faces for the Armiger has no connecting parts to another sprue where it has been clipped yet is clearly labelled option B on the sprues and instructions, suggesting the existence of an A. Not to mention the Armigers look specifically a bit Ad Mech and wouldn't fit a nicely with big Knights without some different design cues.

Also with Dark Imperium and First Strike, GW did exactly that - apart from characters, all units got their respective boxes with additional options. They gave us a taste of things for nice money value and then added (appropriately priced) another boxes to buy. No reason not to do the same with new units released in Forgebane.

Maybe a better comparison is a Contemptor Dread with Multimelta. Same CC attacks, same armour and a 5++ save that works in both CC and shooting. Only 10 wounds rather than 12 but WS2+/BS2+. Move 9" rather than 14 and only gets one serious shot (rather than D3+1 if you get the melta gun on the Armiger into range).

167 points for the Contemptor vs 240 for the Armiger.

I am not sure the Armiger is worth the premium, I do feel it is overcosted a bit. However, up to 4 melta shots means it can potentially slag a large target by itself which the Contemptor will not do. Also the Thermal Spear is Assault D3 rather than Heavy 1 so no penalty for moving and firing which helps mitigate the lower BS.

I imagine they'd be a great addition to a Primaris force considering their anti-tank role and Primaris having only mass Plasma and the Repulsor for that. I'll be definitely adding some to my army eventually. ^^

This is it, while i may have wanted to do a pure primaris force, the armiger fits the gap too well to be ignored.