New to Warhammer, could use advice

Seamus3860

You dont have to MC the hammer, or add the death company rule in friendly games. He's still potent for a hundred and something points. 

Yes he is, and you still aren't making any friends with him.

Perhaps I am just overthinking the power creep aspect, dunno to be honest, but he's not something I would expect in a casual beer and pretzels game of 40k

It's just a captain with a thunder hammer imo... you don't need to dump all the command points into him to make him super crazy

You can play him just fine, just try to curb your flow of CP in his direction and you won’t lose quite as many friends...

It's just a captain with a thunder hammer imo... you don't need to dump all the command points into him to make him super crazy

I agree gentlemen, but when the option to do so is literally staring you in the face, it becomes harder to resist. It's also why I suggested that opinions may change after the OP starts using CP's and stratagems. Forlorn fury, DC characters, on angels wings and decent of fire really have a massive impact on what you think is good, really good or meh in BA army.

To an extent I guess it depends on who you're playing with but basically all I play are friendly games at my FLGS and I've never had so much as a raised eyebrow over running a captain with thunder hammer. Knowing the guys I play with I would expect the only comment I'd get if I were to pump a bunch of CP into him to smash something big would be to tell me how cool it was.

It's a strong build but most players I know already have this baseline expectation that if the Blood Angels player gets something into assault he's going to kill it. The few that haven't realized this going into games against me have quickly realized the error in their ways after doing things like charging a big blob of Intercessors with their buffed up Catachan Guardsmen. Consequently a Captain or any other character putting the beatdown on a tank or a superheavy isn't really surprising to them.

Again, it really depends on who you're playing with. If you don't think your buddies would enjoy playing against our resident Super Saiyan that's totally fine. It's at least worth a conversation with them before completely writing him off though. Having played with him a bunch I promise he's not as broken as he might seem on paper.

To an extent I guess it depends on who you're playing with but basically all I play are friendly games at my FLGS and I've never had so much as a raised eyebrow over running a captain with thunder hammer. Knowing the guys I play with I would expect the only comment I'd get if I were to pump a bunch of CP into him to smash something big would be to tell me how cool it was.

It's a strong build but most players I know already have this baseline expectation that if the Blood Angels player gets something into assault he's going to kill it. The few that haven't realized this going into games against me have quickly realized the error in their ways after doing things like charging a big blob of Intercessors with their buffed up Catachan Guardsmen. Consequently a Captain or any other character putting the beatdown on a tank or a superheavy isn't really surprising to them.

Again, it really depends on who you're playing with. If you don't think your buddies would enjoy playing against our resident Super Saiyan that's totally fine. It's at least worth a conversation with them before completely writing him off though. Having played with him a bunch I promise he's not as broken as he might seem on paper.

It's not so much that I consider slamguinious -broken-, he really isn't, but that OP wants to play friendly beer and pretzels games -for now-.

Yes, what your group will accept is really important here, and back in the day when I was playing competitive 40K I would not bat an eye at if friendly games being gut churningly gouda-worthy because back then, even the friendlies were just tournament warm ups -all the time- and being WAAC was perfectly logical so long as you did not cheat to do it. Finding and breaking lists and troops was a respected art form, not something to get upset about

Well I'm only playing beer&pretzels games as well and a Captain with Thunderhammer is no problem there. We even gifted one in our group an Imperial Knight as birthday present last weekend. ^^

Some 600 pnts for that knight, I'd rather the captain for less than a third of that cost.

The thing about Captain Smash is that he only comes into his own when faced with a suitably large and menacing target. I ran him against Tau and he accomplished very little apart from swatting a lot of ablative gun drones and then getting blown away by massed pulse fire.

On the other hand, in my last game, my opponent dropped a suped-up warlord Bloodthirster into my lines. Captain smash one-shotted him (albeit at the cost of 5CPs and his own life) but it was a suitably epic clash between our generals and I have no hesitation in using him against someone who brings 2 Blood Thirsters in 1500 points.

Captain Smash is largely a spoiler. If your opponent brings a big beat-stick, he can counter it. Against a more balanced army he may struggle make back his points.

The thing about Captain Smash is that he only comes into his own when faced with a suitably large and menacing target. I ran him against Tau and he accomplished very little apart from swatting a lot of ablative gun drones and then getting blown away by massed pulse fire.

On the other hand, in my last game, my opponent dropped a suped-up warlord Bloodthirster into my lines. Captain smash one-shotted him (albeit at the cost of 5CPs and his own life) but it was a suitably epic clash between our generals and I have no hesitation in using him against someone who brings 2 Blood Thirsters in 1500 points.

Captain Smash is largely a spoiler. If your opponent brings a big beat-stick, he can counter it. Against a more balanced army he may struggle make back his points.

He's great for tank busting as well as those big assault threats. Like, if he's fighting Guardsmen the entire time or something he'll probably not feel worth it unless you're leveraging those rerolls. If he kills a Leman Russ or two - which he may not even require CP for- he'll already put you ahead on points.