'Blood Angels' 1st at Adepticon

Markconz

I don't want to be a debbie downer but this is simply the top 16, this list was just one of those 16.

AND, this list was subsequently disqualified because it brought the Standard of Sacrifice in a Flesh Tearers detachment, which is definitely illegal since he also had Seth. So not exactly a Blood Angels highlight.

I actually see that disqualification as a positive overall for us: with how much of a presence GW has at this hear’s AdeptiCon, hopefully the stupidity of some of their design decisions will be that much more self evident.

If nothing else it should better inform their ability to write rules clearly and with no room for misinterpretation...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/bml.gif

Edited by Indefragable

Well the rule is written clearly. Successor Chapters can only take the Shard relic and none other. It's a really stupid rule but it's a tournament so you have to follow it. Especially considering that he could have taken a Captain with Thunderhammer instead and made it a Blood Angels detachment without losing much  Seth isn't exactly a must-have in the first place.

The rules on the relics are such a shame though, because Gabriel Seth is actually a fairly interesting and potentially powerful character in 8th edition but to take him we have to give up so much.

Edit: I mean vanilla marine players would probably kill to have access to a chapter master for so few points without even having to give up CP to get him.

Edited by Pendent

I didn't see his games but I would wager that his gameplan involves Seth, the Ancient and the Aggressors footing it across the table and blasting chaff as they go. If the opponent allows them to get into melee then they will pose a serious threat to any multiwound models. On the other hand, trying to kill the Aggressors isn't going to be very efficient.

Seth gives the Aggressors full rerolls to hit (including overwatch) and that nifty aura that lets them fight again on a 6+. While the Ancient provides them with a 5+++ and the "act before you die" on a 4+. Overall it should be a fairly powerful combo that relies on these specific components to reach maximum efficiency.

Yeah that much is obvious. Still illegal tho.

I'd happily trade Seth for a Captain and the 5++ banner. Re-rolling 1s on a BS3+ unit is almost as good as re-rolling everything and fighting again on 6s is pretty unreliable so not something to build an army around.

While it’s illegal according to the codex, I think this rule is bad for diversity. In pure blood angel context most likely what we would have seen is the same core with smash captains and Mephiston.

I think it’s fun to see diversity in build choices and preventing relics means we will see a lot less lamenters/flesh tearer armies.

While it’s illegal according to the codex, I think this rule is bad for diversity. In pure blood angel context most likely what we would have seen is the same core with smash captains and Mephiston.

I think it’s fun to see diversity in build choices and preventing relics means we will see a lot less lamenters/flesh tearer armies.

Exactly. I would be willing to bet that if anyone interviewed this Flesh Tearers player, he would say something like “oh, if I had realized that ahead of time, I would have run Capt Smash instead.” ...this leading to more mono-build pigeonholing.

Which is why my argument for using Blood Angels rules for my Howling Griffons (because I find BA far more *fun*) and using Relics, etc. is that I'm not using a Successor Chapter, I'm "Counts As."

Because the Successor restriction in the BA Codex is utterly insane.

That's the best way to handle it, however not possible if you want to use special characters with a fix keyword like Seth.

Which is why my argument for using Blood Angels rules for my Howling Griffons (because I find BA far more *fun*) and using Relics, etc. is that I'm not using a Successor Chapter, I'm "Counts As."

Because the Successor restriction in the BA Codex is utterly insane.

That's the best way to handle it, however not possible if you want to use special characters with a fix keyword like Seth.

Yeah, it's not ideal. GW really :cuss the bed in this regard.

Also fluff-wise - after the devastation of Baal I would thought it natural for Dante to be generous in terms of helping successor chapters get back on their feet not only in terms of manpower provided by the Primaris brethren, but also in terms of equipment and relics. I would imagine that many relics might have been lost, but also some new might have been established as many acts of valour took place.

He doesn't even have to be generous with relics. Originally GW used to say that stuff like relics and special character are just few examples and that the galaxy is big filled lots of special individuals and that every chapter has their own collection of relics (potentially similar in effect but named differently etc.)