Forgebane Lore Discussion

Very interested in this, were any details disclosed? I.e Method of deployment?

In my mind Drop-lander makes me think literally raining skitarii and kastellans on the puny flesh ling below... Just imagine a ranged armament depending on the unit inside.

ex.

"Kastellan Battle Robot dropper"  shots equal to the number of models embarked, Strength equal to the strength of the embarked models, after resolving these hits, deploy the embarked unit within 6 inches of the target unit.

Would love the transport even without the robot dropper, but I would enjoy dropping 1950's space robots on some orcs

We don't get a description of deployment, it's introduced being used unconventionally to clear sand away with the downdraft of it's multidirectional engines iirc. If it carried the full force, Armigers and all, then it could be Thunderhawk sized or larger. Alas we aren't told much about it.

Another interesting bit of lore is that Armigers don't use a Throne Mechanicum but a Helm Mechanicum that can connect through a data link to a full size knights Throne.

I assumed from them using the flyer to clear sand that it functioned either like a helicopter or a harrier jet. Harrier would make more sense for a vehicle being dropped out of an orbital platform/ship.

I believe the book stated that the lander being used to blow away sand was an "unconventional" use which makes it seem like the engines are only rotated for a landing/take off scenario (VTOL style). The hovering aspect being a wholly *new* idea that many weren't comfortable with but the need to get blackstone made up for. Makes me imagine Harrier-esque more than helo.

Edited by PaperBob

I thought the lore was good. It felt like they added to the setting without changing anything, if that makes sense. I hope they keep exploring Blackstone but gently, like this. Not cram it into everything, but touch on it from time to time. I guess we'll see Saturday if the Necron codex continues this trend with it.

I figured the lander would look a little like what PopGoestheMonkey used at Adepticon: https://spikeybits.com/2018/03/best-40k-team-displays-adepticon-2018.html

That said I really have a hankering to go full-crazy and build up a Drop Castle for my Knight House like those in the Kingsblade book.

As an aside it seems the Armiger's are being worked in as an "always there just not seen on the tabletop before" type thing, they aren't a new Technology Cawl has whipped up.

(Not from Forgebane, I know, but still applicable)

In the Rob Sander’s AdMech book there’s a whole section describing atmospheric entry and deployment. The actual dropships are at one point called “essentially a fortified compartment with descent engines”. So, big, box-like, and metal (I’ll let you figure out the punchline).

Anyway, they are quite large, being shown to carry a Maniple of Kastelans, a full squad of Ruststalkers, several tech-priests, and a massive Geller Bomb in one scene. It could easily carry a couple Armigers in a crouched, easy storage position.

What this means for it’s future on the tabletop, I don’t think it’ll ever make a debue. People might say “well it could, FW still made the Mastadon and Thunderhawk”. Those have offensive weaponry, and they serve a purpose after deploying their troops, the Mastadon still functions as a command base and seige engine, the Thunderhawk can act as a void bomber/fighter and still fly up to get more troops. The AdMech dropships are literally just designed to get troops on the ground as quick as possibly and as cheap as possible, which is why the lack fancy gadgets and weapons. Hell, I’m betting some tech-priest somewhere is trying to figure out if they could take the descent engines off to save on fuel.

Amongst other bits of new lore, it is strongly implied that every Forgeworld (as well as many knightworlds) has Necron tombs on them. It is said that the Necron are a Taboo topic for much of the Mechanicus. There's hints suggesting someone knew about the sleeping Necron presence on the Forgeworlds and kept it hidden.