Fearful Odds - Prospekt's Crimson Fists

Prospekt

Looks brutal, eagerly awaiting more.

Looking very grimdark... I’ll be watching

And more you shall get ;) 

CAPTAIN HORATIUS SUBLICIANO

CALLED 'SCALP-TAKER', CHIEF HEADSMAN OF THE CRIMSON FISTS 3RD CAESTUS

C0JBKX9.jpg

Horatius Saul Castillo earned his cognomen for his actions at the Sublician bridge, during the warp storms that wracked Rynn's World folllowing the birth of the Cicatrix Maledictum. Against the backdrop of the wider Indomitus Crusade, history will relegate the second defence of Rynn's World to a mere mention - yet the swift repealing of these daemonic incursions was composed of thousands of feats of dogged, individual heroism in the face of fearful odds. Castillo would see his contingent of Primaris Astartes all but decimated within mere months of fresh deployment from Belisarius Cawl's freighter, losing over half his strike-force alone in the fighting to retake the city of Temestitan. The bloodied and battered Fists began withdrawal manoeuvres following sustained casualties, planning to demolish the narrow Sublician bridge in a bid to deny the foeman access to the wider city. Alone, Castillo held the bridge for 2 days and 2 nights against a seething mass of Bloodletters with an implacability that would have made his genetic forebears proud - in the process earning both the name 'Subliciano' and his place as a true scion of Dorn.

zMgY2d2.jpg

The years on Rynn's World that would follow the initial action against the daemon were frenetic and tiresome. With the Chapter reeling once more from catastrophic losses, and the unprecedented administrative conundrum of Primaris reinforcements, Pedro Kantor had to juggle the unenviable task of securing the liberation of an entire planet with rebuilding the Chapter along entirely new lines. To this end, Kantor organised smaller kill-teams and skirmish-sized detachments composed purely of Primaris Astartes known as Caestii. Though lacking in the tactical flexibility of a larger force, the dynamism with which a Caestus could deploy, strike and exfiltrate made them ideally suited for the tasks ahead: clearing out the final elements of daemonic incursion that remained in reclaimed cities, or taking out high-value targets to decapitate resisting enemy contingents.

Subliciano, placed in charge of the Chapter's 3rd Caestus, would take the latter objective fairly literally, quickly earning himself a grim reputation as the detachment's headsman. The captain seemed to enjoy seeking out the enemy's champions and leaders, taking them on in single combat and scalping them once he had struck them down. In this pict-capture, Subliciano thrusts high the severed head of the Khornate herald Torquata Moloch: an adversary he had already bested once at the holding of the bridge, no doubt clawed back into realspace for vengeance, only to be sent back gibbering whence it came as its unholy inner fires gutter and burn out.

zyZy6cH.jpg

Subliciano's weapon of choice was a chainsaw, different in its specifications from the standard-issue variant - notably, the rear-edge housing that caged the teeth of the blade is absent. Imperial scholars are unable to conclusively identify the functional effect of such an adjustment, but it is worth mentioning that the weapon greatly resembles a macuahuitl - the traditional sword-club of the Azteca peoples, indigenous natives of Rynn's World who had thrived there long before its later settlers. Feared for the deadly cutting power of its prismatic blades, and the sheer percussive force of its unique weightage, it is quite likely that the macuahuitl influenced the artifice of Subliciano's blade, though its ultimate provenance is unknown.

2teNGxQ.jpg

+///META///+

After quite a long hiatus, I'm back on the board and also to painting - because of university terms, it's quite hard to consistently work on assembling and painting an army (I don't bring my hobby equipment with me to my dorm). It was for this reason that my previous project, the Sable Spectres, slipped somewhat into a state of disrepair. That being said, I wanted another crack at building at least a kill-team or small skirmish detachment, so I tried to identify the things that made progress so slow and therefore untenable over my short breaks. Chief among these was the fact that as a homebrew chapter, the heraldry and emblems had to be freehanded on, which meant that each individual model still took considerable time and effort even when batchpainting. Settling on the Crimson Fists therefore gave me the best of both worlds - I could use transfers or pre-sculpted Chapter emblems to save time, whilst still retaining the colour scheme that I devised for the Spectres (and am very fond of!). This is evidenced on Subliciano - I've stuck a brass-etch emblem on his tilt shield, and used a Mk. III Imperial Fists pauldron. 

As for Subliciano himself, I'm quite pleased with how this model turned out. It was a fairly simple conversion; using the stock Primaris captain model with a few arm/hand-swaps and the transverse crest from the plastic Mk. III kit. The Crimson Fists hold a special place in my heart and I was excited to build and paint a proper leader for a force of them - since my first forays into 40k, I've always been captivated by their story of grim fortitude and stubborn resilience in the face of overwhelming odds and catastrophic damage. My first ever box set purchase was the Battle for Black Reach, and I painted the Astartes up as Crimson Fists as best as a 13-year old could. Now almost a decade later, it's good to return to that, with a few upgrades ;)

The miniature also gave me a chance to play around with the new fluff and setting, which I always enjoy. The question of Primaris Astartes in the fluff, particularly amongst the established and older Chapters, is how well they fit in with traditions and behavioural quirks. To me, it's something of a cop-out to get around this by saying that many Primaris were around during the Great Crusade and have just been in stasis - it feels slightly disingenuous. I therefore wanted this miniature - and my force as a wider whole - to be in the process of forging their own legend from (once again) the ash of a ruined planet, which is precisely the sort of attitude that drew me to the Fists ten years ago in the first place.

The painting should reflect that, and I have tried to do this by bloodying the hands of the captain. Crimson Fist veterans and leaders have both fists painted red, a hard-earned badge of honour. Understandably, however, the Primaris Fists still needed to have leaders identified according to traditional heraldry, even if they hadn't personally achieved anything yet at the point of deployment. Therefore, I wanted the miniature to reflect that this honorific had been eventually earned by Subliciano as much as it was initially given: steeped in the blood of foes that he had personally seen off in the defence of his adopted homeworld.

Suitably grimdark. I love that, despite how much darker Sublicano is than a normal Crimson Fist, he IMMEDIATELY reads to me as a son of Dorn and a scion of Rynn's World. And that's no mean feat.

I'm also kind of sad about what happened regarding the Sable Spectres, but I understand. Homebrew Astartes Chapters are irksome to do loads of, especially if the Chapter emblem isn't very simple. That being said, your idea with the Librarian for them is something I'm taking for my homebrew chapter. Specifically the non-standard dark green power armour. And since one of my armies is Dark Angels, I know how to do dark green power armour :lol:

Suitably grimdark. I love that, despite how much darker Sublicano is than a normal Crimson Fist, he IMMEDIATELY reads to me as a son of Dorn and a scion of Rynn's World. And that's no mean feat.

I'm also kind of sad about what happened regarding the Sable Spectres, but I understand. Homebrew Astartes Chapters are irksome to do loads of, especially if the Chapter emblem isn't very simple. That being said, your idea with the Librarian for them is something I'm taking for my homebrew chapter. Specifically the non-standard dark green power armour. And since one of my armies is Dark Angels, I know how to do dark green power armour :laugh.:

Cheers Gederas! It's always very affirming to know that the desired feel or impact of a miniature carries across, and it was a challenge for me to turn the shiny, clean aesthetic of the Primaris silhouette into something much more grizzled whilst also notably being from an established Chapter. Please do feel free to take the idea of the Omen for your own Chapter's Librarius as well - there's no higher compliment I can receive than knowing that my work resonates with how others perceive their own personal pockets of the 40k universe!

Excellent work on the Scalp-taker.

Thanks Bjorn!

Very nice. Great execution, love the palette.

Cheers Pheidias! The process of determining the palette was excruciatingly drawn-out: on an HQ model there are always so many more ornaments and decorative bits that it runs the risk of drowning out the base colour, so I'm happy that the palette is pleasing to the eye,

Beautifully grimdark. I love this. Great conversion. 

Thank you Shovellovin!

Everything about this log is massively inspirational so far.

Thanks Rohr! My own work's been influenced very heavily by much more talented and creative hobbyists (Isengrin, Apologist, the fine folks over at Iron Sleet etc.), so I can only hope to pass on to others what I've received from them.

Cheers Gederas! It's always very affirming to know that the desired feel or impact of a miniature carries across, and it was a challenge for me to turn the shiny, clean aesthetic of the Primaris silhouette into something much more grizzled whilst also notably being from an established Chapter. Please do feel free to take the idea of the Omen for your own Chapter's Librarius as well - there's no higher compliment I can receive than knowing that my work resonates with how others perceive their own personal pockets of the 40k universe!

Yeah, the Sable Spectres were honestly one of the coolest homebrew chapters I've seen, and that's saying something. And trust me, I get inspiration from everywhere :lol:

Well, there's some other stuff I'll be cribbing from them. Though it's more because I had some ideas already, and you did ones very similar in a very good manner. :tu:

Archived