1st Company/vets right shoulder pad

Mostwanted

I am interested in what you guys use for the right shoulder pad on Blood Angels veterans and 1st Company in power armour.

I want to use a 3d design and not transfers but struggling to find much. Years back GW did a metal pad for the BA with a skull not to dissimilar to the design on Forgeworld's Iron Warriors pads. The old codex's also show this style of skull on the right pad and, on old space marine vehicle transfer sheets (by the Blood Angel decals) there was a skull that matched. This particular skull design had a lower jaw section and the teeth had long slits in where the chin came to a point.

However now in the new codex it shows a more standard skull design that has no lower jawline for the first company. But I can't see any 3d designs on pads that will match.

I have a few of the old metal pads but not enough and want to shy away from using those due to their smaller size. The closest I've found is the Silver Skulls pad that comes on the Deathwatch sprue. This follows the older skull design but I feel is a little off. I was thinking of going for the Forgeworld Iron Warriors pads but they are only in mkii, iii & iv.

I would add a photo of the old metal pad together with the skull decal and the Deathwatch pad but struggling to remember how to add pictures on here (been a long time & photobucket seems to have changed since I last used it!)

Edited by Mostwanted

They are both good suggestions dread05 and Brother Cruoris. I would be looking at not using pads with the crux Terminatus on, as they are too different (for me) to what's shown in the codex. I am only really looking at a single skull with no other design. On Terminators I'll use the crux. Edited by Mostwanted

Huh, I never thought about NOT using the crux on 1st company veterans. I always thought that the Archangels insignia was a skull, because they wanted it to match the crux terminatus.

1st company vets all used white skulls for a long time (2nd and 3rd if I remember). However, vets all earn their Crux in the fluff thus why they give you a bunch in the kits. But white skulls are traditional.

Can't link it but I don't see any examples of 1st company in power armour using the Crux Terminatus. Only when their in Terminator Armour. I wasn't even aware there were normal power armours Crux Terminatus shoulder pads. Everything I can find on the topic shows 1st company with skulls.

Edit: Right after I posted this nonsense I looked at the sternguard kit for blood angels and they have the Crux Terminatus. So... yeah.. Nevermind.

Edited by Aothaine

Yea both Sternguard vets and Vanguard vets have the crux on the GW site, but that's cause both kits are just space marine kits with the blood angels upgrade sprue in them.

Something else I've noticed was that in the wiki it notes that 1st company vets have the company badge on the right shoulder pad while terminators have it on the left. But since therminators have the crux on the left, can we assume the crux = the company badge for vets? The sources are conflicting.

This harks back to the days where not all veterans had terminator honours. In 3rd ed, you has to buy honours separately at 10pts/model, giving +1A and Ld.

The standard skulls on the transfer sheet have been in place since 3rd ed. I think the pointy chin skull was from second ed.

Honour guard use a black version of the 1st company skull.

Both are easy to freehand.

This harks back to the days where not all veterans had terminator honours. In 3rd ed, you has to buy honours separately at 10pts/model, giving +1A and Ld.

The standard skulls on the transfer sheet have been in place since 3rd ed. I think the pointy chin skull was from second ed.

Plug the tutorial!

As has been said, the Sternguard and Vanguard vets in our codex and on the Blood Angels specific boxes of these showed the crux pads because that's what was in the kits. They didn't follow any previous markings that I know of since second edition.

Think I may end up doing an original skull with the pointy chin in green stuff then making a mould of it.

Finally (I think) worked out how to add pictures again. For some reason my photobucket wasn't working. So below was the picture I wanted to put in the original post. Sorry for the editing on my replies. Kept playing around with adding the image.

gallery_27153_14367_527579.jpg

Edited by Mostwanted

So the crux terminatus (Terminator Honours) is an honour bestowed upon 1st company vets who have trained/earned the right to use Terminator armor. it's just a rank that is given so it didn't ever confer a +5inv save 3rd edition forward except for the terminator armor (which was a chapter approved addition). At this point It's a fluff piece rather than a super important thing.

The honors also doesn't have to take the form of the shoulder pad as it could also just be a badge or medal on their body somewhere. So in reality you can do whatever you want. You can have them all with them or none or a mix in your squad. Ultimately it just means that 1st company vet is trained to used terminator armor.

Using 3rd edition fluff, Honor guards got the black skull and the white skull was for veteran assault squads (Pg 12 of 3rd edition mini-dex, top left margin). There wasn't anything written for Veteran marines (precursor to sternguards) so you end up guessing theirs (assume white skull for 1st company).

I know what the crux is ^_^. I'm just saying that since GW doesnt provide a skull transfer for the company badges (there is a smaller skull, but thats for squad markings) in their latest BA transfer sheets, they presume we are going to use the crux on the right shoulder of power armored marines. Sorry for the bad wording I guess.

Plug the tutorial!

Bwahahah, there's a tute in the right section of the site, and in my plog. I could make one up for the pointy skull also, it's basically a non silver iron warrior skull.

sfPanzer, would be good to know what's on that transfer sheet. If you could let us know that would be great.

dread05, I have that one also. Seems very lacking for the 1st Company.

I wonder why the design changed for the 1st Company skull from the pointy chin one to the chinless one. Part of me thinks that GW just hasn't been that consistent with it.

Ohh I didnt know that, I have yet to buy any primaris. Athough, there are no primaris squads in the 1st company yet.

sfPanzer, would be good to know what's on that transfer sheet. If you could let us know that would be great.

dread05, I have that one also. Seems very lacking for the 1st Company.

I wonder why the design changed for the 1st Company skull from the pointy chin one to the chinless one. Part of me thinks that GW just hasn't been that consistent with it.

Found it.

zToA7cml.jpg

Pic is a bit crappy but the skull for the company markings should be visible.

Here the full size picture: https://i.imgur.com/zToA7cm.jpg

I checked mine last night. I bought them 6 months ago, and Im still shy to use them. It's this one.

https://miniset.net/files/set/gw-99510101011-0.jpg

Where did you bought these? I have been trying to find a proper set of blood angels transfers. The forge world transfer sheet has too much stuff that I won't need and quite steep price.

It was on the GW website like a year ago.

I checked mine last night. I bought them 6 months ago, and Im still shy to use them. It's this one.

https://miniset.net/files/set/gw-99510101011-0.jpg

Where did you bought these? I have been trying to find a proper set of blood angels transfers. The forge world transfer sheet has too much stuff that I won't need and quite steep price.

It was on the GW website like a year ago.

Yeah - they pulled them about when Dark Imperium came out. Expectations were that they would replace the sheet but has been off the GW site (in AU at least) for best part of a year. Store rumour was that they would be releasing a new one in 1H of this year, but nothing so far...