Black Library Recommendations?

Bishoujo

Greetings Brothers,

I have recently begun working on a Marine army and have chosen to make a Blood Angels successor.  I very much enjoy the lore I have read so far (mostly on Lexicanum, Codices and forums) and would like to do some more serious reading.

What Black Library Blood Angels books do you recommend I pick up?  I've purchased the Devastation of Baal, but would like a few more.  Some quick searching has shown me the following results:

• Shield of Baal (John Reynolds)
  • Mephiston: Blood of Sanguinius (Darius Hinks)
  • Lemartes (David Annandale)
  • Dante (Guy Hayley)

Are any of these good?  Do you have any other recommendations?  I very much appreciate the feedback and am looking forward to working on this army.  Will be a very different play style compared to my Sisters of Battle.

I found Dante to be excellent, and while I haven't read Devastation of Baal, it does take place prior to it (and post Shield of Baal campaign supplement), and I remember hearing Guy Haley in an interview say there were a spiritual series.

Dante by Guy Haley is pretty good place to start. It fleshes out Baal itself and the practices of the BA in ways that shockingly have not been done since 40k first came out 30 something years ago.

Devastation of Baal--also by Guy Haley--I just finished and have mixed feelings on, but overall it's a romp worth considering.

I've heard both Mephiston books have good reputations.

Though it's 30k/HH, we would be remiss for not mentioning Fear to Tread since that is the closest thing to a prime limelight expose Sanguinius and the IX Legion have gotten so far/will get. Good to know the background of the BA way back and why so many of our tendencies are what they are, based on Big S himself.

I really enjoyed Mephiston by Darius Hinks to be a good read, little heavy at parts but worth it at the end. There is a sequel to the book coming out this year, probably Summer at this point. I would also recommend the Blood Angels collection by James Swallow.

Also if you can find it, BloodQuest. It's a graphic novel from way back when that is a very good read. Dated, but still worth it.

All good recommendations. I suggest reading Dante before Devastation of Baal, but it's not required. I don't think you would miss anything important, but it is a better overall story that way.

I second Fear to Tread. I thoroughly enjoyed that book. A good view of how Sanguinius influenced the Blood Angels and how the Red Thirst started affecting the whole legion.