Top 3 BA lists from the most recent tourney

Aout

Hey,

I'd like to get back into 40k and I'm still in the process of choosing what chapter I am going to play. Oddly enough, it seems like there isn't any BA army in my local area (but there are 3 salamanders armies... go figure out :biggrin.:) and since I'd like to play a chapter that emphasize on melee, I took the time to look at some competitive BA lists.

Reason I am looking at competitive lists is that I know that my local meta is quite competitive. I am definitely NOT going to play a super hardcore competitive list since I want to find a middle point between competitiveness and fluff, but I don't want to get stomped every single game either.

So here are the competitive BA lists that I found so far:

http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Tim-Travers-1st-Overall-Boise-Cup-GT-2017.pdf

4 Stormravens, 2 Stormhawks, 1 captain and 1 Tactical Squad.... 

http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Geoff-Osborne-3rd-Place-Overall-Warzone-Atlanta-2017.pdf

Not sure exactly why this list is called "Blood Angels" since there are 4 BA vehicles, the rest are non-BA units

http://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Timothy-Travers-3rd-Salt-City-Gladiator-Games-2017.pdf

1 Sanguinary squad, 1 Death Company squad, 2 Devastator Squads and 3 Dreadnoughts and the rest of the list are non BA units

Wow... for someone who is rediscovering WH40K, this is... disappointing. I mean I knew competitive lists weren't exactly fluff lists but 4 stormravens 2 stormhawks and 1 tactical squad ? Come on...

Where are the assault squads with jump packs? the tactical marines ? the veteran squads with melee weapons ?

Is it possible at this stage of the 8th edition to play a list with mainly infantry units (i.e. not 4 Stormravens and 2 Stormhawks...) with a healthy mix of tactical units in Rhinos, Assault Squads with Jumps packs, Veterans in Rhinos (along with potentially some devastators/predators for their heavy weapons and/or a Rhino) ?

Edited by Aout

BA codex was a December release, those are 2017 tournaments.

Top lists don't tell you about anything but the top list meta. The most efficient list possible is always going to be mixed Imperium.

Assault and tactical squads are pretty poor though. They do alright in casual games but there's really no reason to take them.

I honestly would not be looking at top tier tournament lists as a guide to -anything- for 8th, unless that is the scene you want to get back into, and given how functionally different 8th is from other editions..........

As for specific gripes about units, tac's and assault marines just don't cut the mustard because of inferior weapons loadouts in comparison to BA elite choices and their basic cost. For troops you can have intercessors with superior base guns and range but for more points than Tacs, or Scouts who are basically tacs with a worse armour save, but superior board control options for less points.

Assault marines are strictly inferior to vets, sanguinary guard and Death company, again due to loadout considerations.

Is it possible at this stage of the 8th edition to play a list with mainly infantry units (i.e. not 4 Stormravens and 2 Stormhawks...) 

Why, yes, it is!

...with a healthy mix of tactical units in Rhinos, Assault Squads with Jumps packs...

...Oh, but not featuring those units.

The fairly standard way of running (pure) BA in a competitive area is to take scouts and intercessors for troops, with the scouts acting as deployment screens and the intercessors being hardy objective takers with decent guns. Then, you take a Captain with a jump pack and a hammer, other HQs to suit (often see librarians, Sanguinary Priests, Lemartes, Mephiston, and the Sanguinor), and then taking a big unit of Death Company with jump packs. Also, Sanguinary guard and Vanguard Veterans find their time to shine.

From there, it's all about using Descent of Angels to deliver a hammer blow that you then follow up on for the rest of the game.

Edited by toaae

If they gave ASM base 2 attacks then yeah you might see more of them. 3 attacks per model would be great. I always felt ASM should have base 2 attacks then +1 for main hand off hand//chainswords now.

Death company would still be the go to but a cheaper utility unit would have been ace. Especially since our ASM are better.

I've had a lot of joy with the list below and am still unbeaten with it. BA armies are probably best when their strongest elements (DC, San Guard, Cap Smash etc) are mixed in with guard for fire support and CP'S, BUT they can definately still be competitive and great fun on their own!

Assault Marines are basically if want a line style unit like a Crusader or Grey Hunter Squad, that is good in midfield or up close. That can safely advance almost every and is a relatively cheap unit and are not a Black Templars or a Space Wolf.

That said Intercessors do that but mostly better than Assault Marines. If for no reason they are Troops instead of Fast.