Painting discovery: Quick, smooth red.

Calistarius

Hey guys, so I was experimenting with some primer and color combinations. I stumbled upon something that has been the fastest method to achieve the deep dark red that I like. I don’t enjoy the Blood Red that the Sons of Sanguinius used to be featured in. I prefer the new age darker red using Mephiston Red. However, I don’t care for the orange appearance it can have. I know. I’m really finicky. Red is easily my favorite color, but my least favorite to paint. This has changed my world.

2 step process;

1) Prime the model using Army Painter Chaotic Red. This dries into a dark red brown color.

2) Spray 2-3 thin coats of Mephiston Red spray. You’re done.

F7719362_25_ED_4936_A087_9_C0_BC55_E8_FC

The model on the right is primed. The one on the left has 2 coats of the red spray. The whole process took less than 15 minutes, including drying times between coats.

I don’t have an airbrush. I’m not a confident painter, so I stick to manual brushes. I’ve struggled to find the right consistency to get that even coated appearance. I love how this turned out. It took much less paint to achieve the color I want than spraying over black primer, and it’s darker than going over white or grey. Plus, the red brown almost creates a preshading effect if you’re able to control your coats with the spray.

I was stunned with how fast and well this turned out. I had to share.

Edit: original image appeared darker than it should due to poor lighting.

Mephiston red spray is good. Probably one of the good alternatives to airbrush. Army painter ones are good too but I like the fine finish of the meph red even if it covers a little bit less.

Agreed. I’ve tried both now, and prefer the Meph sprays finish.

I can totally see what you mean Charlo. If you’re not spraying in absolute ideal conditions it will be an uphill fight. I also noticed if you don’t hold the can level towards the end of its life you will wind up with some splotches. I did another batch last night, but we had some inclement weather and I ended up stripping them back down and resprayed. It’s not a flawless process by any means!

Honestly, it just takes being careful. Make sure you keep at least 8” away from the model and do short even passes to get a thin layer. Let the layer dry for a couple of minutes while you spray another model before you apply another layer. I’ve messed up a few by being impatient.

How do you avoid over spraying? I usually start with a layer of army painter Dragon red then brush on the hard to reach areas and any places that need a layer of two.

Army painter sprays are different to GW, the paint is a lot thicker so you have to use from a little further away. It's also more likely to gum up details. If you still need to hit hard to reach areas, prime the model in sub-assemblies.

Too much army painter spray will kill a model.

How do you avoid over spraying? I usually start with a layer of army painter Dragon red then brush on the hard to reach areas and any places that need a layer of two.

Army painter sprays are thicker but covers more than GW sprays. You have to be extra careful with them. I used to love them until I messed up a couple of models.

Army painter sprays are thicker but covers more than GW sprays. You have to be extra careful with them. I used to love them until I messed up a couple of models.

Yea, this. I usually only use them for tanks, with large flat surfaces and little 'detail'. That said, overspraying can still pool in corners. 

Archived