White Dwarf, Codices, etc that contain Templars

DBadger

I was sure I owned a mag from their rerelease in the late 00s, but I seem to have lost it.

Are there any issues of White Dwarf, or old codices (other than codex BT / Armageddon) that have good reading or modeling material on the Black Templars?

The actual codex is long OOP and hard to find now.

That'll do, thank you. And as luck would have it, they're all on ebay. Actually ended up buying the whole of 2005 for a tenner.

I bought Codex Armageddon as well as that's a must have for a Black Templar. Still don't have a codex, but I'll find one eventually. I had one in my basket for a fiver on Amazon but it went up to over £100.

What are the corrolary WD issue numbers for the USA. or are they the same.

Also. Obviously there is some BT stuff in 6th, 7th and 8th edition codex space marines.

But also a little bit in the 3rd edition BRB and the 3rd edition codex Space marines.

I've been thinking of collecting the big books and csm. I only have 4th and 8th rulebooks, and the 3rd codex. There are some Templars in one of the big books I have but not much.

Edit: I caved in. I've bought the 3rd and 6th ed rulebooks, and the 6 ed csm codex (2013). I'm not paying £30+ for a codex so 8th will have to wait. 7th books all around seen hard to find for some reason. I haven't played in earnest since 4th and even then my codex csm was 3rd!

In retrospect it would have been cheaper to just buy Codex: Black Templars haha.

The first lot came - the whole of 2006* not 2005. Luckily that was the only number I misread!

312 is great, a good introduction to the chapter. At least ten pages to the BTs in here.

314 is an 'eavy metal showcase and has a selection of different crusade ideas.

Must say though I don't like the quality of the mag in 2006. I dunno, it just feels weird. Large text and a little informal. A lot of clutter, too, such as adding beneath any model "this model requires assembly" (you don't say).

I did a fast search with the information that @DBadger posted:

WD 310 (UK)

• Chosen of the Emperor: the writters, artists, sculptors, and games designers share their thoughts on the new Black Templars
  • In Darkness and Light: Idead and techniques for painting the new Black Templars models
  • Righteous Zeal: Converting crusading Space Marines with the new Black Templars Crusader Sprue
  • Assault on Cephion IV: Three linked missions for the Black Templars or any 40k army
  • Battle Report: The Defense of Cephian IV: The Black Templars battle Dark Eldar, the Lost and the Dammed, and the Alpha Legio in a mini campaing

WD 311 (UK)

• Righteous Victories: Creating models to represent the many Crusaders of the Black Templars
  • Accept Any Challenge: Matt Hutson's new Black Templar army

WD 312 (UK)

• Tactica Black Templars: Tactics for fighting with and against the Black Templars

WD 313 (UK)

• Marshals of the Black Templars: Histories of some Templar personages and tips on how to model them

WD 322 (UK)

• The Swordwind Rages: Eldar vs. Black Templars Battle Report

WD 323 (UK)

• Iron Will, Iron Blood: Black Templars-themed Campaing

You can confirm or even get more information in this source Dakkadakka WD Index 301-325

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/White_Dwarf_Index_301-325_%28US%29#WD_312

I'll keep adding to this as I find stuff between 245-300, where the above list kicks in and I stopped buying WD.

WD 258 - Black Templars v Orks battle report. The Templars planetstrike to kill Ghazkull, but it isn't him. They lose to some very unOrky shooty tactics as Andy Chambers was too wary to engage the crusader squads!

Man... the first WD I ever owned was for 3rd ed featuring BT vs Dark eldar... before armageddon codex so they played just like every other SM back then.

It was a cool bat rep with 2 tables a big gap and a bridge spanning them. They moved a barstool to place a skimmer onto when it was halfway across the gap. Lol

So this is what £30 buys you on eBay/Amazon; still two mags to come (277, 286).

UBBlJx8.jpg?1

Really impressed with the 6ed rulebook (even if I did only pay £2 for it with nowt more than a chipped corner wrong!) And plenty of Templars.

The 4th ed BT codex has too much stuff that's just copy pasted from the 4th ed Space Marine codex. Which led to much of the BT's unique flavour during 5th and early 6th ed being an artifact of regular marines being changed and BT staying the same.

6th ed is kinda neat for BT. since we still had a codex when 6th started and our unique place in the ally chart. Like we clearly hated the ECCLESIARCHY AND THE SOB!

Despite the 4th ed codex including a story where the Black Templars heroically sacrifice a ton of Thunderhawk Gunships to rescue some SoB?

I had a mixed SoB/BT army in 5th ed, so if I hadn't skipped 6th ed for personal life reasons then that ally chart would have been anything but 'neat' for me.

3rd ed was where i was at tho... the only assault squad with storm shields. Mixed armour biker squads, all non BT had a hard limit of 0-1 land raider crusaders, the emperor's champion was the only character I was aware of that could challenge, because challenge was his rule specificaly.

Unfortunatly 4th ed came to late for me...

Archived