Sanguinary Guard Loadout

rayvn26

Greeting everyone. I have a quick question about the Sanguinary Guard loadouts. I currently have 5 golden boys I plan on getting 2 more boxes to make a complete squad of 10 and for extra bits, they just look epic. I know the axes are over priced a bit but look cool so I may include a couple for the "rule of cool" factor. But what about the ranged weapons? Should I add melta or plasma or both and mix it up? Death Masks or no?

How would you equip them to maximize their destructive abilities?

I'm building my 10 with an even split of power fists and the sword glaive, and all with Angelus Bolt guns. I'll use some death masks, but that's an aethestic thing, since I don't really think it's worth the points.

Plasma pistols may be good if you deploy them with your warlord to get rerolls, but every time you do lose one to overload, it is going to hurt. The additional points cost is the turn off for me.

Inferno pistols have too short of a range for me to consider.

I run mine with bolters and swords, and then fists, and maybe plasma. Never Axes unless I have no other good weapons. 

Inferno pistols use to be one of my favorite weapons. Now they are officially the worst. I would like them more if they went from 9 points down to like 4 or 5. or if they went up to a 10" range.

I'd call it the my one disapointment in the codex now, well, that and Baal Preds.

1. Depends on what’s in the rest of your army and what you need. I.e. if you have tons of AT shooting, then it’s not as important to run with say power fists + Inferno

2. Depends on what you expect to face: if you’re going to a WAAC tournament it’s diffefenf than a typical “pickup” style friendly TAC type thing

3. How do you plan on supporting them? For me, I like swords and plasma because I usually build my entire list around them and have a Sang Priest, LT, and the WL nearby. The LT is there specifically to get them ready-rolls to both shooting and stabbing, and the WL will let them re-roll all To Hit. If both of hose conditions aren’t met, then I go Angelus boltguns.

An inferno and/or power fist sprinkled in for every 4-5 dudes will hardly ever hurt.

Archived