Thoughts after playing my first tournament - Vanitor 501st

ProminusIV

Over the easter weekend, I played a 6 game, 1750pt tournament and ended up 26th of 68 players.

I had a rather mobile list (see bottom of the post) with 8 deepstrike and ambush units, which worked out pretty nice because of the objective heavy missions we played. It was my first time playing against eldar, admech and tyranids. Overall i had a lot of fun and learned so much about the game, my own army and met some great players. 

qlFmtXAl.png

Game 1: Cadia

This game went 3 rounds before our time was up, which was good for me because i would have lost/played even in turn 4. But i captured the objectives on the board faster than my enemy, and had some nice tactical cards. He had some tough artillery that i had no chance of destroying (good anti-deepstrike deployment). So i had to capture as many victory points as possible before being shot of the table.

Lessons learned:

• Guard vs guard takes a lot of time per turn.

• Playing the mission can win you the game, even if you're outgunned.

• I need something to deal with artillery.

Result: Win 12-8

Ov8Wawdl.png

Game 2: Tyranids

Holy :censored: are they fast! Turn one, in my face and charged with a 24" deployment gap. I had a lot of luck he didn't get his charge after advance spell off, else i would have been dead turn 1. My opponent was a veteran player, who kindly explained a couple rules i didn't know and showed some charge and melee phase tricks. He got in my tank line with his flying tyrants and disrupted a lot of dmg. My hellhounds were MVP killing a lot of hormagaunts and even killed off a flyrant. After dealing with his flyrants i had some breathing space and gathered a couple victory points, losing 8-12 in the end.

Lessons learned:

• Screening! So important, with a 4"+ gap so there is no funky consolidate tricks. 

• Tyranids are fast. deploy as far away as possible.

• Again, artillery dishing out serious firepower. I had to focus on the flyrants with my big guns, preventing me from shooting at his hive guard.

Result: Loss 8-12

YIi7QvUl.png

Game 3: Biel-tan

First time playing eldar, so i learned about some crucial stratagems, spells and so on. I would have played quite differently if i had the knowledge i have now. He played aspect warriors, some ranger squads, a very annoying hemlock fighter and some guardian chaff. I had to deploy my hellhounds and veterans way out of position to kill his -2 to hit hemlock, which cost me the game in the end. Fun to meet a new army though.

Lessons learned:

• -1/-2 to hit increases the durability of those units incredibly. Autohits are nice though (hellhounds)

• Hard to get target priority right

• More infantry units to screen better, tanks got caught out by a deepstrike squad of fire..the melta eldar... after he shot my screen the turn before. 

Result: Loss 8-12

onokBLGl.png

Game 4: Nurgle demons

Really fun game, lots of banter and generally a nice opponent. Great unclean one, 2 princes, some buffing characters, a tree, a big blob of drones, and 2x30 plaguebearers. He crawled up the left flank of the board with most of his army while i kept shooting most of my dakka at him. With some nice deepstrikes i killed his great unclean in the 3d round of shooting (1 wound left in turn 2). But in the end he congo lined his second unit of plague bringers to multiple objectives and won quite some points based on that. Fun game!

Lessons learned:

• Don't get stuck in combat with nurgle with hellhounds, next time i will deploy them on the board and harass instead of deepstrike and get charged after first round of fire. 

• Deepstrikes work quite well with plasma and melta to take care of a back-line, but maybe use them more for objectives since it didn't really change anything game-wise.

Result: Loss 7-13

Og5C6O5l.png

Game 5: Biel-tan

Another aspect warrior list, with 2 fire prisms, more howling banshees and less dark reapers this time. I was more prepared this time. With better screening, a bigger deployment distance and better target priority i managed to destroy/damage some key units early on. giving me greater freedom to manoeuvre and focus fire down units later in the game. Turn 5 she had one guy left on the field. and i had managed to secure a couple of objectives.  I rolled really well on key rolls, which helped me a lot.

Lessons learned:

• Eldar die easily when out in the open or out-deployed. 

• Better screening worked quite well, giving my tanks and hellhounds better round of shooting.

• Rangers just don't die, and striking scorpions are very dangerous against infantry.

Result: Win 19-1

xTPi8egl.png

Game 6: Admech

Special mission which gave the player on the first turn -1 to hit all, combine that with the -1 to hit admech forgeworld trait. I killed 1 electro priest in my turn 1. His turn he blew up most of my screen, which gave his dragoons a nice charge into a leman russ, and kept multiple tanks tied up before i could counter them. Once i did that he activated his dakkabots and started shooting things. With some nice positioning from me late-game, and once i got into his 12" -1 to hit bubble, i started doing serious damage and got back into the fight. But it was already too late and lost in the end.

Lessons learned:

• Screening, and no overcharging on plasma, which created a hole in my screen which messed up my screening plans.

• -1/-2/-3 to hit is not a lot of fun to play against. 

• More infantry squads are needed against dakka armies like this for objective claiming. 

Result: Loss 9-11

Army list:

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [95 PL, 1750pts] ++

Regiment: Tallarn

+ HQ + [144pts]

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Kurov's Aquila, Laspistol

Company Commander [2 PL, 43pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist, The Dagger of Tu'Sakh

Tempestor Prime [3 PL, 41pts]: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol, Old Grudges, The Laurels of Command, Warlord

+ Troops + [357pts]

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 48pts]

. 8x Guardsman

. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Sergeant: Boltgun

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 47pts]

. 8x Guardsman

. Sergeant: Laspistol

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 82pts]

. 2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun

. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Tempestor: Plasma pistol, Power sword

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 86pts]

. 2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun

. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

. Scion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

. Tempestor: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

+ Elites + [255pts]

Command Squad [2 PL, 63pts]

. Veteran: Lasgun

. Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Astropath [1 PL, 30pts]: Laspistol, Psychic Barrier

Astropath [1 PL, 30pts]: Laspistol, Nightshroud

Command Squad [2 PL, 29pts]

. Veteran w/ Regimental Standard: Laspistol and Chainsword, Regimental Standard

Veterans [5 PL, 103pts]

. Veteran Sergeant: Laspistol, Power sword

. 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun

+ Fast Attack + [412pts]

Hellhounds [18 PL, 315pts]

. Hellhound: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber, Turret-mounted Inferno Cannon

Rough Riders [3 PL, 50pts]

. 4x Rough Rider: 4x Hunting Lance

. Rough Rider Sergeant: Chainsword, Hunting Lance, Laspistol

Scout Sentinels [3 PL, 47pts]

. Scout Sentinel: Autocannon

+ Heavy Support + [582pts]

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 54pts]

. Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

. Heavy Weapon Team: Heavy bolter

. Heavy Weapon Team: Lascannon

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [20 PL, 344pts]

. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber

. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 184pts]

. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Lascannon

++ Total: [95 PL, 1750pts] ++

Nice summary and pics! :biggrin.:

Good placing too! :thumbsup:

1750 is a very odd number to decide upon...

How long were the rounds time wise? Did you finish all your games naturally?

Thanks! 1750 was actually really nice, and made me finish most of my games before the end of the timer. Round-wise 3 and 3.5 hours per round. Which was perfect.

Thanks for the tournament summary and the wonderful pictures.

Did your squad of 5 rough riders acquit themselves well? Sadly, I haven't had much luck with smaller squads. I've found 10 works best for me.

Hmm...i might have played them a bit wrong and missed 3 charges with them that would tie up units. they got blasted of the table most of the time, and once i thought they would be able to kill a striking scorpion exarch on the charge. well... they couldn't and got one-shotted back to Prominus IV. Next time they will just run around grabbing objectives.

A unit of 10 actually sounds interesting, have you had any succes with them?

Yes, in about 6 out of my 10-ish 8th edition games my rough riders have killed an enemy unit before dying.

Here's a tally of their kills

July: killed war walker (win)

July: killed fire warrior squad (draw)

August: killed SW Dev squad (win)

October: damaged big AM walker (win)

November: killed termagaunt squad (loss)

December: killed zilch (win)

December: killed zilch (loss)

December: killed BA character (loss)

January: killed Tac squad (win)

March: killed zilch (loss)

They usually kill smaller units like 5 man dev squads and the like. In about 3 of my 10 games my rough riders were still alive at the end of the game to get me linebreaker.

Mt rough riders are a fun harassment unit with a very Tallarnesque feel.

Archived