Stygies VIII - Clandestine Infiltration Stratagem

En Vilde

During deployment I place my unit in concealment instead of on the battlefield. So far so good.

But when do I place them more than 9" from an enemy unit?

- Deployment

- Roll of for first turn

- Seize the initiative

- Player who has the first turn starts first turn

My understanding is after determining who goes first, but before the start of the first battle round. So if you get first turn, you can then put your unit somewhere to do max damage. If you don't, you can drop them back a bit to take advantage of the -1 to hit.

At the beginning of the first battle round. So if your opponent has turn 1 you still need to deploy them before he moves any of his models.

This allows for some planning though, if you have turn 1 drop them where you please, move and shoot with a unit. If you get turn 2 keep them out of LOS.

Similarly, look into the stratagem for Lucius, same principle but when ever you want.

I know I mentioned in my previous comment about clandestine infiltration allowing a unit to move and the comment above has mentioned it too but flicking through the rule book I’ve found on p177 under Reinforcements

“Many units have the ability to be set up on the battlefield mid turn, ... typically this happens at the end of the movement phase, but can happen during other phases. Units set up in this manner cannot move or advance further during the turn they arrive - their entire movement phase is used in deploying to the battlefield”

They can still charge though.

Hot tip for this, I place my Warlord on the board with Monitor Malevolence relic and ideally before the opponent  places their warlord with any similar relics,
So when I declare that the unit is using the stratagem, it Allows me to try a roll to regen a command point.

Once we know who is going first and any seize of the Initiatitve the battle round starts and you alternate who is doing any of these advance deployments based
on the wording of their rules, i will do the deploy before i roll/pick canticle ... 

I played Alpha legion .... it was quite amusing ... I crushed his forces  but I eventually lost all my objective holding units as I couldn't deal with his Kytan which ran around unopposed 

Lyle 

I know I mentioned in my previous comment about clandestine infiltration allowing a unit to move and the comment above has mentioned it too but flicking through the rule book I’ve found on p177 under Reinforcements

“Many units have the ability to be set up on the battlefield mid turn, ... typically this happens at the end of the movement phase, but can happen during other phases. Units set up in this manner cannot move or advance further during the turn they arrive - their entire movement phase is used in deploying to the battlefield”

Wrong. The infiltration happens and they deploy before turn 1 begins, similar to the Alpha legion stratagem, so they can move afterwards.

Thanks for all the answers!

So..

- Deployment

- Roll of for first turn

- Seize the initiative

- Deploy unit with Clandestine Infiltration stratagem

Thanks for all the answers!

So..

- Deployment

- Roll of for first turn

- Seize the initiative

- Deploy unit with Clandestine Infiltration stratagem

This. I've been playing Raptors (=Raven Guard) all edition long, this is the correct way. After seizing, but before the first model is moved.

Upside compared to Lucius, if you go first, you can get off guaranteed first turn charges with Dragoons (AdMech) or assault squads (Raven Guard). If you go second, hide that unit out of range/LoS after seeing everything else deployed. Downside, no unit can be held back in reserve until needed. If you go second, that unit can get shot to pieces before your turn.

Wrong. The infiltration happens and they deploy before turn 1 begins, similar to the Alpha legion stratagem, so they can move afterwards.

Thank you, this issue caused a huge debate in a previous game, knew I was right.

Anywhere in the rules that back this up? Internet strangers won’t be believed unfortunately

Archived