Reverse Proxies - converting GW minis into 3rd party models

N1SB

This is the most ludicrous and hilarious trend happening at my local Warhammer Store right now, Reverse Proxies.

You may have faced an opponent that brought totally inappropriate 3rd party models into a 40k game. By that, I don't simply mean a Sexy Commissar (which, in fact, I think should be encouraged), but I've faced historical samurai models painted all red to represent Bloodletters, Dungeons & Dragon miniatures standing in as Pink Horrors, things like that.

Even I've been guilty of this with my Casteddyx Battle-Adoremata.

My local Warhammer Store has a totally insane way to lampshade this and it's become a running gag. Rather than bring 3rd party models into a 40k game, some of us are now converting 40k minis into Japanese Gundams and things like this:

gallery_57329_13636_35939.jpg

In case it's not clear, this is a homage to WAR in the STARS outside of the Imperium, an all-terrain scouting transport, if you will. INB4 this player should be banned from the official GW store...this was done by the Warhammer Store manager, who's a real cool dude.

And yes, he's painted up Primaris Space Marines as TROOPERS that STORM into battle.

From a marketing perspective, this was pretty clever IMHO. We're in Asia where Warhammer doesn't quite have the recognition as, say, a Gundam. This sort of thing gives at least a passer-by something he could recognise, make it more comfortable for him to stroll into the store, at which point we can THEN introduce them to the wonderful world Warhammer. I mean, it's retail.

+++++

My question to you guys - I, too, want to WAR in the STARS. I'm thinking of using Necrons, but convert their heads to look more anDROID-like instead of just metallic skulls. Any idea how to do that? Or any other conversion ideas for Reverse Proxies?

Thanks for the suggestion, Brothers, all well-received.

"Thard Radev".  That is hilarious.  I'm going to suggest to my Warhammer Store manager that he represent his as a Dreadnought.  Currently he made him a Primaris Librarian to represent his mystical force powers, but I know he's not fully satisfied.

The "why didn't I think of this before" moment came from the Dune conversions.  I'm surprised that it hasn't ever gotten a tabletop game adaptation.  Not only did it inspire a lot of the concepts in 40k (Navigators, the Imperium, even Remembrancers as a variation to Mentats), but it was also the basis for the 1st Real-Time Strategy game.

Now we have stillsuits in the form of Genestealer Hybrid bodies and maybe the new Forgeworld Termite Assault Drill can be a Sandworm.  I'm seriously contemplating this now.  Thanks a lot for this.

Stillsuited Fremen = Van Saar. :wink:

That is such a good point, thanks for mentioning it and saving me from spending more on conversion, when Van Saar are just around the corner.

Will keep this in mind.  Really gives me something to look forward to.

+++++

Land Raider "Orion Pax" is just too good an idea.  Counts as an Knight Titan or something.

+++++

I'll tell you my thoughts on this topic right now, to just memorandumise the brainstorm process.  For Reverse Proxies, my ideas will be chosen from:

- Necron anDROID to WAR in the STARS

- SQUADRON of ROGUEs to WAR in the STARS

- DUNE dwellers BUILDING A DYNASTY (Van Saar with some sort of wheeled tanks from the RTS...I may have a way to convert that)

- cyBORGs TREKking across the STARS (Genestealer Hybrid suits + bionic bitz I got lying around, counts as Necrons)

+++++

Also, as always, this forum has proven to be a great venue for this.  Minutes spent here probably saved me hours/days of work while increasing quality of execution.

cyBORGs would be great in the 40k verse!

Now imagining a Necron Cube shaped ship.

"We are the Borg. We will add your resin and plastic distinctiveness to our own.Your miniatures will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

;)

Archived