Wanting to start Imperial Guard.. A few questions.

Merellin

So, I realy like Imperial Guard (Or Astra Militarum as they are called now) And I have a couple of questions.

How do you run your infantry? I hear you cant combine infantry squads now, Do you run the 10 man squads on foot? Or in Chimeras? Do you run Conscripts to have larger units?

How do you run your heavy weapons teams? A team in each infantry squad? Heavy Weapons Squads? What weapons do you prefer on them?

And also, Do you have any sugestions for how to make Cadians look a bit more unique? Any sugestions on good colorschemes (As I am bad at thinking of those) Or any sugestions for cheep replacement heads or conversions?

Infantry squads are best kept cheap usually; their strength is numbers so playing to this works. So I stick to a single upgrade either special or heavy. Chimeras aren't cheap so taking more troops in their place is a good alternative.

HWSs are best kept cheap as they're not that durable, but sticking the more expensive ones in infantry squads helps protect them at the cost of less effective orders. I've been using heavy bolter and mortar squads for ages and they're particularly nice now as they're quite cheap :smile.:

It's easy to kit bash the Cadian line for a unique look, there's lots of third party bits to help. Head swaps do a lot for example but there's plenty you can do in weapons and even some sculpting if you fancy it. For colour schemes raiding the lore and real life could help; if not let us know what sort of theme you're thinking about and I'm sure the barracks can provide ;)

So, I realy like Imperial Guard (Or Astra Militarum as they are called now) And I have a couple of questions.

How do you run your infantry? I hear you cant combine infantry squads now, Do you run the 10 man squads on foot? Or in Chimeras? Do you run Conscripts to have larger units?

You can still combine squads using a stratagem but there's better uses for CP. Chimeras are somewhat overpriced for what they bring to the table, with the exception of the Forgeworld variant (Gryphonne Pattern) which allows for an Autocannon or Twin Heavy Bolter in the turret for only a slightly higher cost. Three Heavy Bolters and a Heavy Stubber plus transport for 12 makes it a much better option than the standard. 

I'm not a fan of Conscripts - same base cost as Guardsman, worse stat-line, Orders only followed on a 4+ instead of automatically. 

How do you run your heavy weapons teams? A team in each infantry squad? Heavy Weapons Squads? What weapons do you prefer on them?

An endless debated question - in Infantry squads they reduce mobility but gain the protection of 9 other warm bodies who die first. HW squads maximise firing potential (unless they need to reposition) but they're just six T3 5+ dudes who will die fast and lose expensive HW upgrades. 

Mortar Squads are the exception - they're awesome. Cheap as chips and indirect fire. :thumbsup:

And also, Do you have any sugestions for how to make Cadians look a bit more unique? Any sugestions on good colorschemes (As I am bad at thinking of those) Or any sugestions for cheep replacement heads or conversions?

Have a search through this forum - there's a lot of discussion about Third-Party manufacturers who make bits to fit Cadians. Anvil Industries, Victoria Miniatures, Mad Robot, Kromlech, Maxmini, etc, etc, etc.

-Ran

Thanks for the replies! When it comes to colorschemes, I have been trying to find ideas but most stuff I find is the regular classic cadian colorscheme, That GW has a tutorial on.. I was thinking a colorscheme based arround red for my Cadians.. But I'm not sure what other colors to go for or how to make it look good..

I run mine 10 man, with a mix of special/ heavy weapons and a new naked ones to die for the emperor. No a fan of conscripts though, would rather have the same number of superior guardsmen for the same points

HWTs -> i am a fan of 2 heavy bolters/ mortars and a single lascannon in a squad of 3. cheap (48-54 points) or putting the lascannons in infantry squads. Exception is heavy bolters/ mortars who rock in squads of 3. 

I'll tackle this in parts:

I have 4 different ways of running infantry. First I have Conscripts, whose job is to get out front and charge things and tarpit. Second I have my Scions (they are troops and infantry), and I deep strike them out front into advantageous positions (onto objectives, or in a position to slay bodies). Third, I have my 4 Armored fist squads who also rush out to capture objectives or to occupy the midfield and provide a base of fire. Fourth and finally, I have 3 squads as a backfield gunline to provide protection for my commanders and heavy weapons squads from charges and deep strike. 

My lists make use of a couple of doctrines, my Kasrkin (scions) are using the Storm Troopers Doctrine, while my regular infantry uses the Cadian Doctrine. I'm tempted to run a separate patrol with my conscripts to take full advantage of the Valhallan infantry buff and conscript strategem. As for combining squads, there is a strategem for that. It's primary use for me would be to rescue devastated squads an orphaned Sergeants. 

I do a bit of both. Mortars and Heavy Bolters in their own squads, and sometimes autocannons in their own squads (if I have room). I hide missile launchers in my gunline squads, since their job is to camp in cover and protect my command section. I don't have lascannons built since they were overcosted and inefficient last edition. 

Cadians are going to be difficult, since they are the De Facto everyman model. A good paint scheme is really the only way outside of third party bits. I find that adding a bit of dinge can really make your models stand out. Grass and dirt stains on the knees and elbows, maybe adding a camo scheme to the fatigues. It doesn't need to be complex, just a few extra colors. My regiment is a mix of a homebrew and the Cadian 8th, so I have 2 different schemes in my army. 

Thanks for the replies! When it comes to colorschemes, I have been trying to find ideas but most stuff I find is the regular classic cadian colorscheme, That GW has a tutorial on.. I was thinking a colorscheme based arround red for my Cadians.. But I'm not sure what other colors to go for or how to make it look good..

Hi Merellin,

I would say that if you're looking for something red, I think there are a few GW (and outside-GW) sources that show red flak armor with light-and-dark brown camo fatigues.

Alternately, the Blood Angels subforum might be able to give you a few ideas (some people have some nice scout models that pair red flak-style armor with a khaki fatigue). Perhaps perusing these galleries and threads might help you brainstorm, and see if that's a direction you wish to continue to proceed?

Best of luck!

A Praetorian with a head swap?

1419553382925.jpg

Using these heads:

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/Heads/dress%20uniform/Pith%20F-400x400.jpg

Which can be found here.

-Ran

hey welcome to the Guard i'll try to answer these in order but smarter people will likely give you better responses so consider anything i say the basics

1. this depends on the army you want to run while you can't go wrong with a ten man guard squad on foot, when it comes to a chimera leave that for the command staff and the Vets they are after all a big point sink and deserve the little extra protection, as for conscripts don't run them in anything but Power games as they cost the same points wise as a guardsmen

2:Heavy weapons teams comes in two flavors Low priority and high priority, you low priority heavy weapons are the mortar and heavy bolter you can put them into a heavy weapons squad and they can be relied on to give hell, on the other end of the spectrum you got you High priority these are your Lascannons, Autoguns and Missile launchers these are things you should put in infantry squads because they will get targeted down.

3:If you are looking to spice up the Cadian style I'm sure you have heard of Dawn of War 1 Winter Assault (great game in of itself) well there is a Feature in it for multiplayer called Army Painter it lets you mess around with different colours for your army in game and has the added benefit of having units that are (because it's a 40K) based off the Table top models with it you can do up a near infinite combination of colours for Guardsmen without having to buy models or paint the game is relatively cheap too (and much cheaper then trial and error with models)     

I hope this helps you out and can't wait to see how your regiments come about

A Praetorian with a head swap?

[snip]

Using these heads:

[snip]

Which can be found here.

-Ran

A still from 'Zulu' was going to be my response. Top work, old chap, top work.

--------------------------

Your theme, if you have one, could also inform your list-building decisions. For example, in the early parts of Barbarossa, before the sturmgewehr was a thing, Wehrmacht infantry squads contained a machine-gun team and a bunch of dudes with rifles who were really only there to support the machine-gun team.

On the table-top, it's an infantry squad with a Heavy Bolter, or Stubber.

Your theme, if you have one, could also inform your list-building decisions. For example, in the early parts of Barbarossa, before the sturmgewehr was a thing, Wehrmacht infantry squads contained a machine-gun team and a bunch of dudes with rifles who were really only there to support the machine-gun team.

You raise a good point. Find a theme, or a style an build around that. If you wanted to go the Praetorian (or mordian) route, basic infantry squads (no heavy or special weapons, just a vox) in block formation, backed up by HWS. Just a possible suggestion.

Current US Army infantry doctrine (at least when I taught 5 years ago) has the squad divided into 2 four-man fireteams consisting of a team leader, a SAW Gunner, a grenadier, and a rifleman. Then you have your squad leader an radioman, for a total o 10 guys.

Now, it's a real shame that you can't get that sort of squad composition in 40k. 

What weapon would you give the "Grenadier" in that organization Ulrik?  

Well a Grenade Launchers clearly! :wink::laugh.:

Yep. I mean in the real world, it's an M203 an M320 underbarrel, on an M4 carbine. Would be nice and fluffy if guard could take AuxGL's as special weapons, and have 2 per squad...

Yeah, I guess it's pretty obvious! Lol. In that case, a squad of 5 Krieg Grenadiers, one grenade launcher, one heavy stubber, one vox and a Sgt armed with hotshot launcher runs 57 points!

Mount them up in the storm centaur and off you go. I'm not sure how effective that would be though.

--------------------------

I currently run all of my squads in a similar composition. Riflemen backing up a heavy stubber. I'm not so sure that it is extremely effective, but its fun and makes for a cool looking force. 

Yeah, I guess it's pretty obvious! Lol. In that case, a squad of 5 Krieg Grenadiers, one grenade launcher, one heavy stubber, one vox and a Sgt armed with hotshot launcher runs 57 points!

Running a bunch of those would likely be a blast!. I may have to try that out with my modest number of Krieg grenadiers.

Thanks for all the replies! I need to get the Astra Militarum codex. I'l see about ordering it and the cards soon. Need to think of a theme.. I like infantry, And a few tanbks. Thinking of having some Ogryn too cus they are cool.. Hmm...

Thanks for all the replies! I need to get the Astra Militarum codex. I'l see about ordering it and the cards soon. Need to think of a theme.. I like infantry, And a few tanbks. Thinking of having some Ogryn too cus they are cool.. Hmm...

You know what might help? Go through the painted model section of the codex. Those images may inspire you. I also like to good things like "Imperial Guard army" or "Militarum Tempestus army" and check out the pictures. Those can help your imagination along and thing of a theme yourself. Let the work of others inspire you to make your own ;)

Bullgryns are objectively the better 'gryns. Ogryns will require some sort of transport, where bullgryns can just foot slog it up the board. Infantry can be fun, but be careful about pure armies, they tend to struggle as takes-all-comers lists. 

One thing aside from theme, is there a particular regiment that interests you?

Infantry - I run either squads with special and a high value heavy, or screening squads with just a flamer. Usually about 2:1 ratio. The flamer squads are mostly there to take abuse.

Heavies - High value heavies in infantry squads for a buffer, low value in heavy weapon squads. Mortars, as many as possible. They're fun.

Making the regiment look different - Heads. More can be helpful, but even just a head swap will make your infantry look different.

Archived