TDA shoulder plates

dread05

Good morning and a happy easter to any of our orthodox brothers. I have a question about terminator armour. I'm building an assault squad, and the question came to mind. What are the shoulder plates for? Are they there as an honor badge? Or to protect the joint of the armor? On the box it has the shoulder plates on the right arm for TH/SS terminators an on the left armor for LC terminators. Does it matter? I've literally found nothing on my research last night on the shoulder plates (not shoulder pads mind you, shoulder plates).

IIRC, the historical origin of a mini shield on the left shoulder was from jousting, to help prevent a lance from glancing off the breastplate or shield and penetrating the chainmail at the joint. Jousting was for sport/training after all. Later variants of such armour near immobilised the left arm to provide heavier protection. They also were sometimes also used to protect the sword arm, i.e. when raised you would expose the armpit.

For terminators - I believe I read about this in an older version of Space Hulk - they're primarily used to display heraldry and personal honours as TDA suits all extremely old, and the bearers are storied veterans themselves. 

Non blood angel close combat terminators have them all on the left arm in the GW store pictures. I think the BA version of having them on their right arm for thunder hammerers makes sense as it shows it off better without the storm shield being in the way.

That's what I thought, but then I noticed that sergeant Gideon, whom I plan to use as the sergeant of the squad, has it on the storm shield arm. I thought about doing them mixed, but I wanted to ask if there was a specific reason for their positioning.

Tilt shields, as described above. They should go over the CC weapon arm, normally, to protect the joint, however GW puts them on the left shoulder without question. 

As for making more...I used insta-mould putty and press moulded a bunch :biggrin.:

You also get like 10-15 in the BA Term box.

Slightly offtopic but still kinda related question: Has anybody a source to get lots of those mini-shields? That's one of the key bitz I'm missing for my Knights of Baal. :D

I don’t have too many of them but I have a few I could send you if you’re interested, I’ll check my bitz box when I get a chance.

Archived