Battles in which smaller CSM warband beat Loyalist Chapter?

I havent counted the numbers but possibly the boarding action in one of ADB's night lords books where a bunch of Blood Angels assault the NL ship? I forget which book it was in of the three... There's also a short story of a squad of Chaos chosen/champions fighting against Imperial Fists where the main Chaos leader is fated/cursed by Tzeentch to always fight the bearer of his old HH comrades geneseed line... That was in an anthology book possibly 'Treacheries of the space marines'?

And as in a similar question elsewhere - define defeat? Do you specifically mean total wipe-out of all loyalists on the battlefield or something else?

I havent counted the numbers but possibly the boarding action in one of ADB's night lords books where a bunch of Blood Angels assault the NL ship? I forget which book it was in of the three... There's also a short story of a squad of Chaos chosen/champions fighting against Imperial Fists where the main Chaos leader is fated/cursed by Tzeentch to always fight the bearer of his old HH comrades geneseed line... That was in an anthology book possibly 'Treacheries of the space marines'?

And as in a similar question elsewhere - define defeat? Do you specifically mean total wipe-out of all loyalists on the battlefield or something else?

More dead Loyalist Astartes than Traitors

Did the Blood Angels outnumber the Night Lords?

Does the battle of Ghorstangrad count? It's where the Alpha Legion infiltrated the Emperor's Swords recruitment planet and corrupted their aspirants before they were chosen, very very few made it in but then they launched an attack and the corrupted members rebelled from within. Alpha Legion made off with the guns and geneseed, I call that a win...not sure if it counts as them being outnumbered with half the chapter being corrupted though, hehe :P

yes, the blood Angels heavily outnumbered them. It was only with the appearance of the NL dreadnought that they managed to turn the tables. Also, in the third book, the Night Lords took out an entire astartes strike cruiser (after repelling the boarding attack) by blowing up half of a moon.

There's also the second Black Legion book where Abbaddon and his men beat the Black Templars while fighting off another chaos warband.

Heck, the Betrayal at Calth is one massive traitor victory that practically leaves the Ultramarines crippled.

Does the battle of Ghorstangrad count? It's where the Alpha Legion infiltrated the Emperor's Swords recruitment planet and corrupted their aspirants before they were chosen, very very few made it in but then they launched an attack and the corrupted members rebelled from within. Alpha Legion made off with the guns and geneseed, I call that a win...not sure if it counts as them being outnumbered with half the chapter being corrupted though, hehe :tongue.:

I don't think that counts, because when the fighting started, the Alpha Legion were playing with loaded dice;) As they should!

yes, the blood Angels heavily outnumbered them. It was only with the appearance of the NL dreadnought that they managed to turn the tables. Also, in the third book, the Night Lords took out an entire astartes strike cruiser (after repelling the boarding attack) by blowing up half of a moon.

There's also the second Black Legion book where Abbaddon and his men beat the Black Templars while fighting off another chaos warband.

Heck, the Betrayal at Calth is one massive traitor victory that practically leaves the Ultramarines crippled.

I don't think Betrayal at Calth counts - the Word Bearers lost (again). They really are the whipping boys of 30k. And OP states without Daemons and Cultists, which were used liberally at Calth ;p

Which means the only two solid examples we have so far are both from ADB. 

p8oNHGW.png

A wee answer from ADB hisself. 

Archived