Melta guns

TheAlchemist

The best way to run Meltas in 8th is to proxy them as Plasma Guns. Sorry but on a t3 5+ model with a BS4+ the melta is too short ranged and situational to be widely useful. I love Meltas, I've got a bunch too, but not one of my lists has ever fielded them because of how poorly they stack against the more flexible plasmagun.

Yeh their random price increase in CA really ruled them out for BS3+ units.

Only way to reliably get them into melta range would be via grav-chute insertion from a Valk... 

I hope they get a point re-adjustment, maybe some more feedback for the FAQ email

I tried my Melta Scions in the index when 8th dropped, haven't used them since

I have had success using a special weapon squad with 3 of them hiding oit of LOS in my backline that would assasinate cgaracter when they brike through my picket lines. I'm contemplating using a 4 melta command squad 3 flamer sws and a company commander in valk to see what they can do.

An interesting response, though I'm fairly sure we all play for fun mate. Regardless, 167 points for a weak gimmick doesn't seem like good advice for other commanders seeking help on understanding a new edition.

They're only four more points than a plasma for your Scions or Vets. That's not an insane price to have the potential for a ton of damage. A bonus is not having to rely on the re roll ones order to keep from killing yourself, so on Scions you can instead use the juicy "re roll wounds vs vehicles" order

The problem is one of range and flexability. A plasmagun reaches out to 24in, a melta is 12. If you want the melta bonus it's 6. You're better running plasma because you're not wasting the weapon if you need to drop elsewhere rather than directly on top of your enemy.

@ Tirak

Sorry, you're right, my reply was a bit snarky. But I will say some people don't play for fun (not saying you). There is deffinatly a group that just want to smash their opponents reguardless of game enjoyment for others.

I will say this everyone knows plasma is better, there is no denying this. But the OP asked how to make melta guns work, so shared some successful ways I have managed that. To just say play them as plasma doesn't really help him.

So to the OP yes plasma is king, in saying that meltas can still work they just require a bit more thinking. Usualy using transports, or using the fact they are assault to advance and fire. Also now that we are swimming in cp it's easier to use a re roll on the damage dice to get that 5 or 6.

I run one in my unit of 10 stormies, mainly because its the models I have, but it allows them to fufil the heavy inf role well with their hellguns, and still have the occasional threat of anything heavier they come across. I tend to use mine as heavy inf though, a squad of 10 that drops in turn 2-3 when the enemy has advanced and is killing my main inf line in inventive ways, they drop into enenmy backfireld to push devestators, biovores, etc off their objectives and bed down there. So the meltagun is a nice insurance policy if it happens to be a predator or something like that they need to shift.

I played Meltar a few times and they always disappointed.

Only S8 so mostly wounding on 3+ or 4+

Another problem is their short range of 12"

with a plasma gun you have 2 shots at that range, and the Plasmaguns mostly deals more damage.

But if you really want to use Meltar you need something to bring them in 6" of the Target.

the only think i see for this is a Valkyrie.

because you can't leave a chimera or taurox after it moved you must survive a complete Turn in this Metal boxes, and i thing when the enemy know the payload you won't;)

Meltar are just to expansive for a T3 5+ save model

Melta is effective, S8 means you go to a 3+ to wound on most vehicle etc targets and the D6 damage is very nice. However that's a roll which could go badly, and getting into the 2D6 sweet spot is even harder with further reduced range.

I've found that this means melta has become more of a counter-attack weapon for me. Some big nasty comes into your lines and you can move up/fall back to hit it with a bunch of wounds, especially on anything without an invulnerable. While this has worked quite well the cost of the weapon feels a bit high still, so the versatility of plasma is always competition :confused:

I too have had good results with meltaguns this edition. Usually in the form of a stormtroopee squad with 10 troopers, 4 meltaguns, and a plasma pistol. They DS in with 1 or 2 plasma stormtrooper squads and cause mayhem.

If I drop them behind the plasma stormies but still within 12 inches then they often live long enough to get within 6 inches on the subsequent turn.

Archived