Snipers

Delta.Skies

Unless you hate the models (because that's usually the reason) I'd go with Ratlings; one more body, infiltrate rules and more survivability in cover for 13pts more. They're not game changing, but they're helpful.

Actually they are less survivable in cover then a guardsmen.

Ratlings in cover

T2 6+ improved to 4+ save

Guard

T3 5+ improved to 4 4+ save.

Ratlings cost more but have infiltrate and move after shooting. (Situational but helpful)

Command squad is cheaper and can use orders, but number is limited by commanders and if you use other styles of command squads.

I use catachan command squads by Harker and re roll 1's to wound orders. Helps fishing for 6's. Works not bad.

Unless you hate the models (because that's usually the reason) I'd go with Ratlings; one more body, infiltrate rules and more survivability in cover for 13pts more. They're not game changing, but they're helpful.

Actually they are less survivable in cover then a guardsmen.

Ratlings in cover

T2 6+ improved to 4+ save

Guard

T3 5+ improved to 4 4+ save.

Ratlings cost more but have infiltrate and move after shooting. (Situational but helpful)

Command squad is cheaper and can use orders, but number is limited by commanders and if you use other styles of command squads.

I use catachan command squads by Harker and re roll 1's to wound orders. Helps fishing for 6's. Works not bad.

it would only be one command squad killed with snipers to compensate for the missing vindicator, I have a unit of deathwatch with stalker bolters, but wanted a character hunting squad. But i knew it would be hard to deploy from the jump. Wish they threw sniper rifles on scions, but i guess that would be OP to have deep striking snipers

I find snipers struggle at their defined role: killing characters. Vs guard characters it kinda worked but really those mortal wounds are few and far between and now commisars are not worth shooting. Do some math hammer and see what it takes to down a space marine capt. Multiple squads are needed to do meaningful damage and become a points sink quickly. Sniper rifles are underpowered imho.

Quick mention of plasma squad with the valhallan? (Possibly mordian) shoot characters strat? Works a treat!

Oddly enough snipers are not about killing characters (like tychobi says) but an out getting a mortal wound or 2 to finish somthing off. Yeah it's fishing for 6s a bit, but snipers are so cheap it's easy to cram them in. Also even though they won't kill characters quick, it still keeps your opponent honest with them.

Archived