Vox Casters: Worth of Price of Admission

Schlitzaf

The Vox Caster which expands the range of voice by 9 inches in either directions and gives access to a 3 CP Mortal Wound Strategem under situational circumstances. Costs 15-25 points to implement and use effectively.

I have decided to use some in my army to spread out my firebase a bit and not keeping everything crowded in one little corner or building. But is it worth the price of admission over just bringing another officer be it platoon or company?

I've found they're sadly not worth the points cost. Both the sender and receiver need a vox so it gets steep very fast. With that in mind I feel it is important to note I play Catachan, so a large number of officers up front with my infantry is common, meaning I don't need the range buff.

I think allegedlynerdy hit the nail on the head. Mechanized Infantry can make excellent use of it.

In certain circumstances, if you design your warlord for it, it can be useful for a block of Infantry if your warlord is Cadian with Superior Tactical Training and Laurels of Command. But other than being fun, I don't see much advantage to using this tactic.

I find them useful. At times my squads wind up advancing and recieving move move move. Even with my commanders at the frontlines I find squads isolated out of order range needing orders. Really considering the efficiency of guard the points are a drop in the bucket to me for the versatility they provide.

I use vox casters.

Why

1. rule of cool, i like look of squad with a radio operator

2. Orders are the guard 'killer app' in my opinion - so want to ensure I can get them off as easily as possible

3. Movement - I like to be aggressive with screening infantry and push them right up to enemy lines, vox helps with that even if followed by officer as they tend to get outpaced

4. Fire on my target fluffy (though not used much(

People underestimate how good a Voxcaster can be while it might not be good at the start of a game being able to rely on getting off orders in the mid to late game is a blessing

Im not really sure if theyre worth it atm... though my playstyle probably doesnt help. 18 inches certainly beats 6, but since I run mechanised infantry, my forces tend to be even farther apart, and often dont actually need orders anyway (while theyre embarked, for instance). If the had significantly more range (say, 30-36"), theyd probably be worth it for me. As is though... I dunno. Those extra 12" dont really seem to do much. :/

I'm not one to invest heavily in my HQ slots, I prefer to take the minimum necessary to fill out my detachments. As such I tend towards vox-casters, especially since I'm using Creed and Kell to maximize my orders. I use vox casters to keep my officers in range to give orders while keeping them protected, since they generally don't offer much improvement in shooting or CC ability. 

Probably my one exception is the way I set up an officer with conscripts. Since his point is to keep conscripts going, and conscripts can't take vox's he's got to be out near them.

I think Vox casters are worth it, but it all depends on how you play. 

Most of the time i use Vox Casters when i got no room for many order issuers, i.e. when my HQ and Elites are ment to be occupied by something more useful than an officer. For example psykers, comsquads, SWS, Sgt. Kell. Vox casters spread the orders bubble which helps hiding commanders from sniper fire better, also as it was already mentioned it really helps controlling your advancing troops in the middle of the table. 

Personally I find them a nice to have not need to have.

I find their points acceptable although a bigger boost to range would have been even better ;)

When I've brought them I've done it to specific squads I know or want to be further away from a commander.

Eg squads that are advancing each turn or squads with HWTs that maybe set up in other buildings.

Archived