Scout usage

dbecer01

So, I have been trying a list with 3 bare bones scouts, up front, split enought to block deepstrikers. However with the new rules, deep strikers don’t really come in until turn 2, so what are they aconmplishing?

Also, they are pretty easy to kill, so I’m seeing almost 165 points evaporate, and then they ds turn 2 anyway if the list even has much ds.

So, other than getting CP’s and being cheap are scouts still good? Am Inplaying them wrong, or am I looking at this the wrong way? Let me know what you guys think, as I’m still a rookie.

They are cheep objective holders, and for now, if you buy a 6th member for each unit they double in Power Level to get more of your army into deepstrike. 

Also, giving them a heavy bolter per unit gives you a chance to suprise people with the Heavy bolter Strat, now that there are more command points.

Also, they are less expensive than any of the other options.

Hmmm... nice, I like the ideas. I hadn’t really thought about the PL doubling, and I can try getting my scouts into CC woth a Cc loadout, and maybe 1 squad with HB.

They are the cheapest source of PL, coming in at 66pts for 8 PL. They can also be used to apply pressure early, or if you can deploy them out of LoS, they can protect an area.

They are fragile, and if the opponent wants them to die, then they will probably die. But they are also very often a low priority target, unless the opponent is deep striking in turn 2. In the end, they best thing they do is: 1. Provide cheap choices for troops slots, and 2. Zone out other infiltrators and pre-Turn 1 deep strikers.

Hmmm... nice, I like the ideas. I hadn’t really thought about the PL doubling, and I can try getting my scouts into CC woth a Cc loadout, and maybe 1 squad with HB.

The problem with assaulting one or two juicy targets in 8th edition is that the enemy (if they survive) will normally withdraw. The rest of the army will then light up your assaulting units. The value of CC Scouts in a BA army is that we can still manage to pull of 1 or 2 T1 assaults with "Forlorn Fury" and "Upon Wings of Fire". If that is backed up with a couple of units of CC Scouts charging in, that is 4 enemy units that are in assault and cannot fire if they withdraw in their own turn.

Of course this only works against certain opponents. If you are assaulting enemy units with the FLY ability, this doesn't work so the tactic is more limited against Tau and Eldar. Also some opponents like Orks or Nids will quite happily eat a squad of CC Scouts for breakfast (although if they last 2 rounds that will be enough to have pinned the unit in place and bought you and extra turn of shooting).

It is not a guaranteed game-winning strategy but then a 55 points a squad that is not really surprising. But they are a decent, cheap Troop choice that give you some useful options.

Archived