Dealing with IG artillery

dbecer01

Hi guys, so what would you guys do against IG Basilisks and manticores? I’ve had them wipe out a whole squad of hellblasters in cover next to my standard of sacrifice. Right now I just ha 3 scout squads and whatever came with the dark imperium box. I will be getting 10 death company and some characters from ebay soon.

So, with all if their bubbling, I’m not sure how to get in there and stop all of that indirect fire. Even if my death company gets in there turn 1, I’ll have to get theough that bubble of chaff to get to those artillery pieces. What dibyou guys think? I’m open to suggestion on what models to purchase and tactics for dealing with this scenario.

IG gunlines are a tough matchup for us, even more so now the Beta rules mean we can't come on from Reserves outside our DZ until Turn 2.

A couple of Storm Ravens with lascannon loadout to go tank-hunting might be a possibility.

The Bassy is only T6 the manticore T7 you could fight fire with fire and bring a whirlwind with a vengeance launcher to party. Like @sfPanzer said get in good position with a flyer. Guard anti air is a bit meh (the best anti air unit is a hellhound!) a stormtalon would find some use.

The Bassy is only T6 the manticore T7 you could fight fire with fire and bring a whirlwind with a vengeance launcher to party. Like @sfPanzer said get in good position with a flyer. Guard anti air is a bit meh (the best anti air unit is a hellhound!) a stormtalon would find some use.

I didn't realise the Basilisk is only T6. In that case either the Stormraven or Stormtalon with Assault Cannon loadout might be a good bet. Both hit on 3+ against ground targets, even when moving so 8 hits from a TLAC, 4 wounds and probably 2-3 failed saves. Back up with some missiles and you will start chewing through them.

I didn't realise the Basilisk is only T6. In that case either the Stormraven or Stormtalon with Assault Cannon loadout might be a good bet. Both hit on 3+ against ground targets, even when moving so 8 hits from a TLAC, 4 wounds and probably 2-3 failed saves. Back up with some missiles and you will start chewing through them.

With the guard tanks the thing is that you dont really need to kill them outright. If you drop a bassy/manticore to 5W they start hitting on 5+. As they are only 11W to begin with its not too tall an ask with the right tools which you have identified above.

Also was thinking what if I do whirlwinds with landspeeders and the stratagem that lets them autohit?

As said above I wouldn't bother using the Whirlwind for chaff clearance. Fight indirect fire with indirect fire. The bassy is a little squishy at T6, if you start putting wounds on it you can start dropping the effectiveness of it. The vengeance launcher can churn out 2D3 Autocannon shots, granted its not lascannon performance but will but some hurt out.

Archived