Dev. Of Baal - very quick lore question!

neonmole

Hi guys,

I haven’t read Devestation of Baal yet, but I intend to so no spoilers please!

Nevertheless I have a very simple question :-

Are there any Primaris captains / leaders who are referenced by name in the force that arrives with Bobby G to save the day?

I’m curious as I am building my “next gen” Primaris BA army, and I like the idea of my Captains fluff being the guy who arrived as the tip of the the spear with Bobby. Obviously though I don’t want to contradict the cannon..

Thanks!

Cheers guys! Exactly the info I needed without the spoilers. I salute you :)

I will definitely be “reading” it soon. I listened to the Dante audiobook on audible and reallt enjoyed it. I’m waiting for them to give Devestation the same audio treatment. My preference for black library is audio as I love to stick it on when I’m hobbying!

Cheers

All the chapters were given the procedure for making Primaris marines. The process itself I believe is very similar to the old methods, just with additional organ implants. The Blood Angels can still do their methods of changing the aspirants in a coffin over the course of a year. 

Yeah Cawl gave the methods and knowledge of how to make Primaris to a lot of different chapters.

However because the BA and successors got almost wiped against the Tyranids they still produce LOTS of regular Scouts parallel to Primaris (and because switching completely to new tech while the old is still good would be risky and stupid).

awesome book.

No named primaris, they're very much a bit part at the end, though I believe Guy will come back and follow on with a certain child from the book.

I really hope it does. It would be cool to follow him up through the ranks. ^_^

*supposedly no flaws

We already have indications that the Primaris suffer from the red thirst as well and where the red thirst is there is the black rage not far. :wink:

The answer to the question regarding Black Rage would be if the Primaris were alive when Sanguinius was killed. If they were they should have been hit with the psychic backlash of his death. If not, they won't be affected. Their Geneseed would have the Red Thirst because that was around even when Sanguinius was alive. But the Black Rage is something born of his death. It is also passed down through Sanguination. So.. I suppose newer Primaris might be affected if they go through the old rituals but do you think this is something that Dante would risk? I'd like to think that he would shy away from doing that with the Primaris.

They are supposedly free of the curse. I kind of like it better this way. Gives the veterans of the chapter a feel of doom and sorrow. Something the Primaris can learn to control their Red Thirst from. "Be careful. Or this might happen to you." kind of thing. I know it is a secret outside the chapter but it is well known within.

The answer to the question regarding Black Rage would be if the Primaris were alive when Sanguinius was killed. If they were they should have been hit with the psychic backlash of his death. If not, they won't be affected. Their Geneseed would have the Red Thirst because that was around even when Sanguinius was alive. But the Black Rage is something born of his death. It is also passed down through Sanguination. So.. I suppose newer Primaris might be affected if they go through the old rituals but do you think this is something that Dante would risk? I'd like to think that he would shy away from doing that with the Primaris.

Now that is a good point! 

I don't think it's been definitively linked to the Sanguination, though? I thought it was more psychic in nature and cause. I mean, the Carmine Blades developed it long before they were "inducted" into the Blood Angels extended family and got shown the "proper" way to do things. Given what happened with the Lamenters, it appears there are ways of metaphysically trying to fix the Flaw, they just don't appear to work particularly well.

I think the best explanation is that it's possibly just linked to whether it matters that the source of the geneseed was "alive" when Sanguinius was killed, or whether the source can be 'tainted' even if they're in stasis, or taken from Pre-Siege geneseed. Until we get further info, we can't really tell for sure.

But if that were the case, how could the Carmine Blades get affected when they were still the Swords of Haldroth, and followed "Codex-only" practices?

I mean, it definitely doesn't help doing what they do, but it certainly isn't the root cause.

They would have been created from the Geneseed that was used during the event though right? So it could be passed down multiple ways. Geneseed and Sanguination. I have not read all the books so I could be missing stuff. This is just based off my limited knowledge. But I'm pretty sure the Red Thirst was designed by The Emperor. Honestly though.. all of the Space Marine legions could have just been trials for him to build Chapter 666. He knew the fight was going to be against Chaos. Perhaps he is playing the long game. 

Regardless though. I do really want them to continue the story and pick up with the kid. The books practically write themselves and they can write up to 100 years of this kid training, becoming a battle brother and rising to the ranks of Captain. I think it would be awesome. And most of this can happen in the region that Dante is tasked at safeguarding. 

Question though... did Guilliman give anyone else in the entire Imperium the right to stand by him as an equal? Did he order any other chapters to safeguard an entire region of space? I have not read the Dark Imperium book yet and was thinking of picking it up after work tomorrow.

*supposedly no flaws

We already have indications that the Primaris suffer from the red thirst as well and where the red thirst is there is the black rage not far. :wink:

They are supposedly free of the curse. I kind of like it better this way. Gives the veterans of the chapter a feel of doom and sorrow. Something the Primaris can learn to control their Red Thirst from. "Be careful. Or this might happen to you." kind of thing. I know it is a secret outside the chapter but it is well known within.

Thats pretty much how i've always seen it, although slightly differently. I've always thought that the marines who have the worst/strongest pull to become DC have organs that have come from teh material re-cultured from Sanguinius's dead body, while those who are 'lucky' got to have organs cultured from marines who were alive/made before he died. It seems reasonable to me that the imprint of his death would be strongest in bits that 'did die', rather than organs that felt that death second-hand. But obviously, there is a finite amount of those pre-death genelines and if they are lost without harvesting then they are irreplaceable, while there are more genelines tracing back to the material taken from his dead body. Thats one thing people do seem to forget about the Blood Angels line as a whole - they are the ONLY ones who's implants had to be taken from the DEAD body of their primarch. Wonder what IF's would do if they had death-visions of Dorn fighting on a Chaos cruiser coupled with their existing self-flagelation practices - Astartes Penitent Engines maybe?

Archived