A couple of questions regarding Valkyries embark/disembark

STTAB

Post FAQ, I've gone back to the drawing board, my Grey Knights/Dark Angels list isn't synergizing so much now.

I've been playing around with some Guard bits, specifically a Valkyrie based list that would work with my existing GK or DA.

My question. Say a Valkyrie drops some dudes turn one via grav chute insertion.

Turn 2, can dudes embark before the Valkyrie moves, then disembark along its move, all in turn 2?

Does Grav Chute Insertion overule the core rule that says you must already be embarked before you can disembark?

"Grav Chute Insertion Models may disembark from this vehicle at any point during its move, but if the Valkyrie moves 20" or more, you must roll a D6 for each model disembarking. On a 1, that model is slain. Models that disembark in this manner must be set up more than 9" from any enemy models"

"Embark: If all models in a unit end their move within 3" of a friendly transport, they can embark within it. Remove the unit from the battlefield and place it to one side – it is now embarked inside the transport.Embarked units cannot normally do anything or be affected in any way whilst they are embarked. Unless specifically stated, abilities that affect other units within a certain range have no effect whilst the unit that has the ability is embarked."

"Disembark: Any unit that begins its Movement phase embarked within a transport can disembark before the transport moves. When a unit disembarks, set it up on the battlefield so that all of its models are within 3" of the transport and not within 1" of any enemy models – any disembarking model that cannot be set up in this way is slain."

Grav shoot allows disembarkment from anywhere the valkyrie moves. Otherwise you have to disembark before the vehicle moves. 

They cannot disembark via grav chute due to them not starting their movement phase inside the valkyrie, therefore cannot disembark.

Edit: made a mistake with disembarking rules 

With the exception of Grav Chutes, doesn't a disembark have to happen before the transport moves? I'm curious because I was planning to use valkyries to advance my Ogryns up the board. 

I use my Valkyrie as an expensive first turn charge transport all the time. It can move 65” and deliver troops virtually anywhere. I use crusaders wth a priest and psyker. Guaranteed first turn charge. Perfect for tying up units and putting pressure on early, buying the rest of your army some time.

With the exception of Grav Chutes, doesn't a disembark have to happen before the transport moves? I'm curious because I was planning to use valkyries to advance my Ogryns up the board. 

yes it does, i made a mistake with my last post

So my plan to pop that first turn charge with my ogryns will still work? I move 20 inches, Grav Chute my 'Gryns, and then they charge? It's not optimal with a 9" charge, but afaik you can't advance after a disembark move, and you can't charge after advancing.

So my plan to pop that first turn charge with my ogryns will still work? I move 20 inches, Grav Chute my 'Gryns, and then they charge? It's not optimal with a 9" charge, but afaik you can't advance after a disembark move, and you can't charge after advancing.

Yes, but they also get a move, since it counts as a normal disembark. 20" move, 9" away, move, then charge. All golden for turn 1 carnage

Yes, but they also get a move, since it counts as a normal disembark. 20" move, 9" away, move, then charge. All golden for turn 1 carnage

Gotcha, that's nasty.

As i said you can move 65" and still disembark, move and them make a 3" charge. Works every time and with the two long deployments possible you can usually deploy out of range of the enemy to protect your valkyrie and still deliver a turn one charge, though no shooting. But the valkyrie is rubbish at shooting.

As i said you can move 65" and still disembark, move and them make a 3" charge. Works every time and with the two long deployments possible you can usually deploy out of range of the enemy to protect your valkyrie and still deliver a turn one charge, though no shooting. But the valkyrie is rubbish at shooting.

I believe this is invalid now with the most recent FAQ, pg.5 -

Q: If a transport moves, do any models embarked inside it count
as also having moved?
A: Yes.

I get that but it's only relevant to models shooting from inside a vehicle. Gravchute is the only thing in the game(that I'm aware of) that allows a disembark after moving. If the faq was for the grab chute rule it would be in the valk section.

No its under the transport section.

I get that but it's only relevant to models shooting from inside a vehicle. Gravchute is the only thing in the game(that I'm aware of) that allows a disembark after moving. If the faq was for the grab chute rule it would be in the valk section.

No its under the transport section.

Not saying Im necessarily right (believe me I would like to be wrong) - but how does it side step the fact that its a transport?

I think Valks are the only deploy after  move vehicle but Im not 100%.

• 1 month later...

A few additional questions:

1) Relating to both the valkyrie in hover mode, and normal transports, do we have to move in a straight line? i.e. can I move 10" to the left, grav chute some, then move 10" forward?

2) Say I'm going supersonic and I fly the 65" or whatever the max movement is with 3 command squads inside. Can I make multiple drops in one turn? Say one squad at 20", one squad at 40", and one squad at 60"?

1. If I understand correctly no. Hover mode allows you to move without a minimum distance and the other restrictions of airborne.

2. I guess so? Doesnt say all units must disembark together and says you can disembark at any point.

This does goto the question I have always wondered. Can units disembark part way through the Valks flight path and allow the valk to keep moving?

Generally I just disembark at the end of the valks movement for simplicity. Even that seems to surprise and upset a lot of people.

This does goto the question I have always wondered. Can units disembark part way through the Valks flight path and allow the valk to keep moving?

Generally I just disembark at the end of the valks movement for simplicity. Even that seems to surprise and upset a lot of people.

Grav Chute Insertion says:

"Models may disembark from this vehicle at any point during its move, but if the Valkyrie moves 20" or more, you must roll a D6 for each model disembarking. On a 1, that model is slain. Models that disembark in this manner must be set up more than 9" from any enemy models."

Specifically, "at any point during its move". That, to me, is pretty strongly indicating that the Valkyrie doesn't stop moving (and would, thematically, be quite counter to the actual action).

Right, except to measure correctly and all for a disembark you do have to stop the valk to place the grav chuting models then move the valk again.

So I guess you have to caveat that mid move stop to say the valk is still moving and hope your opponent doesnt raise hell about it?

Right, except to measure correctly and all for a disembark you do have to stop the valk to place the grav chuting models then move the valk again.

Do you?

If it flew in airborne mode it would be a straight line so I'd move it to the end and then drop the models anywhere on that line.

The complicated bit were if it moved in a non straight line

Archived