Executioner Plasma vs Battle Cannon

I LOVE the look of the executioner turret, but I’m struggling to think of any reason to take it over a BC.

The flat dmg on super charge is nice, but I feel like the reduced range just makes it an instant target.

Am I overlooking something or is it just a designers flaw again?

Since you are IG, in 70% games you have more units than your opponent, and go second.They shoot you a full turn first.

If they have any real AT firepower e.g. killshot predators, your executioner would be cold dead. LRBT has much more chance to survive, because you could simply put it further in corner.

I feel it really depends on how you play.  I personally play on very terrain-heavy tables, so the short range of the executioner is not as much of a liability to me. The weapon is quite effective against the MEQ-heavy meta I play against. Plus the Forge World version I have is just gorgeous! 

That said, if comparing the Executioner and the LRMBT, the LRMBT is definitely more points-efficient.  You definitely get more bang for your buck (no pun intended) plus opponents tend to not place a LRMBT as high on their target priority lists as the tank with a giant plasma cannon turret.  

I always take the Plasma Turret over the BC. the AP of -3 is really strong and the killing feature for me. and the constant 2 Damage when overcharged is better as d3 in my opinion. I know you could roll 3 Damage but you also could roll just 1 Damage. I also don't think the range is a problem, in all my games i never had an issue with the 36" range. 72" of the BC is nice but it never comes to play on a normal Table with enough Terrain.

It's situational. D 2 is *much* better than d3 against many targets, such as the average Terminator, Primaris, bike, cavalry, beast, etc. Also the extra AP helps.

The Battle Cannon is not so good in bringing down heavy infantry. It's more a thing to use against light to medium vehicles and monsters.

Of course, the plasmacutioner only becomes good when rerolling 1s, so either Cadian (static), Tank Commander (expensive and fragile), or Catachan + Harker (extra cost, and requires more stuff around it to make the cost of the reroll bubble worthwhile).

They are quite different things, all in all.

Archived