Back after nearly 15 years away! And I need help

Dextorian

So I've been away from the hobby for just over 15 yrs. At Christmas I went in my mums loft / attic and found so very old models and I was inspired to get back into 40k.

I always played blood angels so I bought a few boxes just with a view to paint them, but I've caught the bug and I want to get gaming again. I'm going to my local store for some beginner nights but I want to get ahead of the game because I'm super competitive.

I see things have changed and we now have power points as well as normal points for building lists (slighting confusing at first...). I've been told to prep a 40 point list - so here we go. Your advice / tips will be greatly received

Primaries Captain - 6 points

10 x intercessors - 10 points

10 x death company with jump packs - 18 points

Chaplain with jump pack - 6 points

The plan is to split betwen the DC charging in for a bit of fisty cuffs, with the intercessors staying back and providing some ranged offence.

Thanks in advance and please be nice to the noob :-)

First off, welcome back! Always good to have another old veteran about. Many of us oldies have taken breaks and come back at some point - you'll soon get the hang of things again, and painting is always fun!

Power points is a simpler system for narrative games that's new for 8th edition, where a given unit size is worth x power - you don't have to pay extra for weapons loadouts etc. It's intended for beginners and when you just want to whip up a quick list without min-maxing everything, or for a specific story based mission. You're supposed to just go WYSIWYG with models; it is vulnerable to being cheesy - a unit of death company with all thunderhammers is the same power value as one with chainswords and bolt pistols, while the conventional point difference is substantial as you'd expect. So it's best to take it in the spirit it's intended, and just go with sane loadouts you'd likely take if/when you switch to point based games - such as one thunder hammer and one powersword per 5 for death company, that sort of thing.

For such a small power points start, that list looks pretty reasonable; put the grenade launcher in the intercessors on the sergeant, it lets him 'throw' a grenade up to 30", and a powersword is often worth it on him (and of course is free in power lists). If you haven't already got the primaris captain, I'd be tempted to switch him for an 'old marine' captain with jump pack for the same power rating. A very common build for BA currently is called 'captain smashypants' or 'slamguinius' amongst other names; he has a jump pack, and most commonly a thunder hammer and storm shield. In combination with several stratagems, warlord trait and a relic (here's a thread discussing him, there are others) he is basically a guided missile for taking out big targets that will prove useful later. A primaris captain isn't bad per se, and has his uses - but captain smashypants fills a very useful role.

Does the list need to be in a detachment? If so, I would take the Patrol detachment.

Break the intercessors into 2 5-man squads. Give them each 1 aux grenade launcher.

Give the captain the stalker bolt rifle. 

Have the DC be in reserve and jump them in on your opponent's back line when the time is right. 

Keep the chaplain with the intercessors to help buff them a little if they are assaulted

Welcome back! :)
The point on splitting the intercessors into 2 squads is very good. Also you do not need to play them very safe - with bolt rifles, they are most dangerous under 15" from the enemy. They get 2 shots each and can be moved to a good position for a charge. With 2 attack each and Red Thirst rule they can kill some stuff this way.
Also, chaplains buff works in melee. So it'a better to use him in conjunction with the melee units. Especially DC would benefit from his aura. Additionally they will need his leadership once they start taking casualties.

Archived