Old, Forgotten, Armies.

Inso

I posted in the 'how many guardsmen do you have?' thread and it got me thinking about all the old armies that were once able to grace the battlefield but have now, due to newer ranges, better painting, change of taste... and a myriad of other reasons, been left to languish in cupboards and drawers and boxes... never to see the glory of battle again.

Well... wouldn't it be cool for them to see the light of day and be shown off in all their glory; here?

So... to kick things off, Here's a platoon from the Soran 8th Regiment:

ZJ2cJDv.jpg

and the army command squad:

UZxPQvj.jpg

Some scratch-built Sentinels:

DsXsQpp.jpg

... and my Catachan army:

4qR9IZb.jpg

Which includes these Sentinels:

8hPCQex.jpg

There are more here:

https://imgur.com/a/TRBdFnC

So... come on... lets see them in all their old-school glory :) .

Love a trip down memory lane! Unfortunately I've stripped all the old models ready for re-painting for 8th Edition so I have nothing to show :sweat: I don't take before pictures either shamefully, I did with my BA I repainted but annoyingly forgot with the IG :down: 

I've had pretty much every variant of guard at one point or another.

While I have pared it down quite a bit now, of particular amusement is my first DKoK army.

I sols it for a tidy profit about 2 years ago after getting annoyed with how crappy the rules were, and every 6 months or so I see it up for sale again online with another few models added. Amusing to see it change hands and grow bit by bit.

Actually, at one point I was at a tournament in 7th using my Solar Auxilia, only to face off against a Steel Legion army I had painted and sold as a hobby project the year before. I think half the guard armies in my old area have *something* of mine in them

The scratchbuilt Sentinels look good, Inso. Where'd you get the parts? Were they all made from plasticard you measured out and cut yourself?

All plasticard/plastic tubing and aluminium tubing (for the pistons). I used some tank wheels for the leg joint details and the feet, some heavy weapon team gunners for the drivers and some Sentinel assault cannons (from the second edition Sentinels) for the main weapons. A few bits and bobs (Yarrick's banner pole for one :) )... and yes, I cut all the pieces out by hand :)

Archived