The Emperor's beginnings

It's been a very long time since I picked up a brush or indeed, a sculpting tool, but I am now back - at least for the next couple of months.

I never have the patience to build full armies and truth be told, there is not really much point as I haven't played the game since I was about 11 and don't intend on doing so in the future; I just enjoy the stories and the models.

So far this is no model for the Emperor, and when he is eventually built presumably it'll be a Siege of Terra/Vengeful Spirit era model, this leaves me a tasty loophole to play with.

Most of the Emperor's work happens long before the Siege of Terra but still begins on Mother Earth, so that's where we're starting.

I'm building a model of the Emperor themed around the Unification of Terra. It's in its very early stages and it's also the first time I've attempted to sculpt a full model from scratch.

Below are the images of the progress that I've made so far:

td389lq.jpg

p3gXD0y.jpg

2LLCsjj.jpg

Not much so far, the final image is a scale shot - on the right is a standard FW marine and on the left is a slightly heightened Ultramarine.

I'm aiming for the armour to be a fairly ornate cross between MkI and MkII power armour and the Custodes artwork - not those horrible models that were released last year.

This will be the Emperor as a primal warlord rather than the noble leader of mankind.

C&C welcome though be gentle - it's been a long 'ole while.

This looks promising, I can't wait to see where it goes. I like your idea of a primal Emperor. What kind of sculpting clay are you using?

Thanks, I think it's something that hasn't been done before so it should be an interesting compromise between two sets of artwork.

The clay that I'm using is called Plastiline from http://plastiline.fr Warning: Doesn't cure, can't be baked

Wow this is ambitious. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

I probably should have tested this before I worked up almost ⅔ of a Custodes sprue and the beginnings of this Emperor model, but the plastiline that I'm using does not cure on its own - I knew this, but I did assume that it could be baked, not so with oil based clays.

What this means is that I am going to be making my first forays into casting which is a little bit worrying to tell the truth.

Specifications of the mould material:

- Must be liquid

- Must cure naturally rather than in the oven etc.

Specifications of the resin:

- Must be pourable

- Must cure naturally

I profess to be a total amateur in this theatre, so if anybody has advice on this front I would be greatly appreciative!!!!

Scope of this project:

Pre-unity Emperor

My Emperor model is based off this image pose-wise but is going to be a little bit less ornate. At the moment it's a toss up between making it look like early pattern Power Armour or armour that isn't going to fully enclose him - Knight vs Space Marine.

He will also likely be helmed or have a death-mask because I can't for the life of me sculpt faces yet, unless I can manage to cast a Fulgrim head and convert it.

emperor-vs-horus.jpg

Thunder Warriors

- 05 x Thunder Warriors (Heavy support)

- 05 x Thunder Warriors (bolter)

- 10 x Thunder Warriors (melee)

As I'm intending on making multiple models I think I'm going to try and make a sprue of the main parts of these so that I don't have to sculpt each one from scratch.

- Torso Front + Back

- Left leg + Right

- Knee

- Left arm + Right

- Head(s)

4 Legio Custodes (Guardian Spears)

These will be made out of the beginnings of the sprues that I had started to make a couple of years ago rather than the ones from the box set because truth be told, I'm just not a fan, they look too caricatured and cartoony - they just don't fit in with the HH from ForgeWorld.

This is what I'm working with on the Custodes front at present:

Torso

13177335_790841101060255_920831435530428

Shoulder pad

13164422_789319311212434_165535164816231

Helmet

10583918_747911522019880_682477227120646

C&C Welcome as ever

Archived