Plastic Azrael Kitbash

Basteala

New work in progress for my Dark Angels army. Not a huge fan of metal minis, so I figured I would challenge myself. Right now, I'm waiting on a primaris upgrade kit to add the book to his right side, then he'll be ready for priming and painting. :)

32202689_1813452462046670_63346951108060

I plan to take a watcher in the dark that I have from a Deathwing Knights set, and give him the helmet from either the Dark Vengeance Company Master, or from the DA Veterans Squad. I figure he's supposed to have one in game, anyway. :)

Great kitbash. My only question is that have you considered converting his combi-weapon so it matches the bullpup configuration of the original?

1449346925872.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-HZLorI1B0w/S-WzQLEENzI/AAAAAAAALYI/7Y8-c9JUI0E/s800/Dark%20Angels%20Azrael%20combi%20plasma.jpg

That conversion may be trickier for an Azrael conversion as it seems to depend on an outstretched arm. This may work better;

Bullpup17.jpg

Maybe mount the plasma component under the bolter, and use a bolt pistol barrel (because of its smaller size) for the bolter component. 

Very nice kitbash, looks awesome!

As for the original combi, I thought the bullpup design Azrael had was actually really cool, would have been nice to see a mass produced bolter mark for tacticals.

Very nice kitbash, looks awesome!

As for the original combi, I thought the bullpup sesign Azrael had was actually really cool, would have been nice to see a mass produced bolter mark for tacticals.

A bullpup bolter is quite a cool design, yes.

But the picture OakRiver posted reminded me why I hated it so much:

The bolter shells have no way of reaching the barrel with how the artwork shows the gun. :lol: Literally, they would have to teleport from the magazine into the firing chamber, because where the mag is connected to the weapon is far too thin to let a .75 caliber shell through.

I always thought that the bullpup bolter was a fantastic design, but making it a part of the regular sprue would have been hugely challenging given how the dominant arm would have needed to have been posed further from the body, and may have thrown off how the shoulder pad interacted with the vent on the power pack.

That and how the .75 caliber round either teleports into the chamber, or has to be fed upwards at a steep angle into the chamber with no obvious feeding mechanism. Maybe it is secretly Ork technology and just the belief in it makes it work.

Archived