Relic of Lost Cadia - Does it work on the bearer?

Just a simple question.

For example, if I gave the relic to a tank commander, does it work on him too? Because fluff wise it would make sense and make even more sense if the bearer got a permanent buff from it, because it's always in their presence.

This could make Pask overpowered, but you can simply say that he can't have it and I'd be fine with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Relics can't be given to named characters. The Relic of Lost Cadia is once per game as per the big FAQ but anyone in range gains the benefit of it. 

Actually, I just checked the codex and FAQ and RAW + RAI wise, there is nothing stopping Pask from taking a relic.

The codex rule specifically states:

Named characters such as Lord Castellan Creed already have one or more artefacts, and cannot be given any of the following relics.

The main point being, that it's to prevent you artefact stacking on characters. Since Pask has no relics, he should be free to take one.

And there's nothing in the FAQ that states otherwise that I can see.

What's also weird is that Lord Castellan Creed possesses no artefacts. So, why is he excluded?

Relics can't be given to named characters. The Relic of Lost Cadia is once per game as per the big FAQ but anyone in range gains the benefit of it. 

Actually, I just checked the codex and FAQ and RAW + RAI wise, there is nothing stopping Pask from taking a relic.

Named characters such as Lord Castellan Creed already have one or more artefacts, and cannot be given any of the following relics.

The main point being, that it's to prevent you artefact stacking on characters. Since Pask has no relics, he should be free to take one.

What's also weird is that Lord Castellan Creed possesses no artefacts. So, why is he excluded?

The point about the FAQ was specifically related to the Relic of Lost Cadia. The passage you quoted from the codex tells me that none of the named characters can be given relics, Creed is just an example. The first time I read it I didn't even think twice about none of them having relics. If in doubt bring it up with your opponent but I'm not sure how many people would be okay with named characters taking extra wargear. 

In the FAQ, the only clarification it gave about the Relic of Lost Cadia was that it can only be used once per battle. Nothing else.

The example in context within the codex already assumes they have artefacts, which they don't, but I'll check with the organisers.

I only ask, because I would if possible, I'd rather not get another tank commander or stick a relic on my warlord, as I'd prefer my opponent to choose between the warlord (who grants reroll failed wounds to a specific unit within 6" of him or pask + relic. To make it harder for them to choose.

If Pask can't take the relic, then if I were the opponent, I'd choose the warlord every time as I prefer the above warlord trait over Pasks.

This is how I would read it:

Named characters ... cannot be given any of the following relics.

Without the clarification / elaboration it seems clear. The general theme of GW with these lately is the more toned down version is the correct one.

As always check with opponents

You kind of made their point though. Named characters like Creed can't take Relics, even though he doesn't carry a Relic. So a named character like Pask, even though he doesn't carry a Relic...

Archived