Dracosan armoured transport use?

So funny story,

I wound up recieving 3 of these in a packing mix up with my last Forge World order, and they are sending my my missing items, but have told me to keep the 3 Dracosans.

Sweet deal, Except for the fact that I have no idea what to do with them! They are Solar Auxilia only vehicles with no 40k port.

Any ideas or suggestions will be considered, as I'd like to take advantage of the massive amount of free stuff and good fortune.

I'd like to figure out something to do with these that might go nicely with my Krieg.

Here is the forge world picture of the Dracosan:

99590105383_SolarAuxiliaDracosanArmoured

I'm pretty sure it's built on the Malcador chassis, but looks fairly unique in its own right being a Solar Auxilia vehicle.

Obvious idea would be Chimera count as?

Tbh they'd be awesome as LR counts aa possibly for inquisition?

Im not sure what else you could do for them other than see if you could source the parts to convert them to an actual malcedor variant?

I'm thinking I might be able to make a convincing Valdor, and you are right about the thunder Loinofjudah. I still have a week vacationn in Mexico and then I likely won't touch them at all until my first ETL vow is finished, so I have a long time to think on it!

I like the Russ counts as duz_, maybe for my future Tallarn detatchment. I might get really balsy and try to convert/scratch build them to an alternate Forge World pattern (Lucius maybe) of Malcador.

Either way it'll be a fun project to mess around with.

I'd buy some baneblade barrels or the shadowsword barrels on eBay and make a tank destroyer maybe? Hobby saw and some plasticard should make for a cheap conversion.

I also had a packing error over the past month although not as good, I ordered 3 Angron Red clear paints and received 9!

That's kind of what I had in mind for a Valdor.

For a Malcador Defender I'm thinking about some sponsons with twin heavy bolters, and then a Russ turret with 3 more heavy bolters.

Malcador Heavy tank could be done the same way, with sponson autocanons, hull mounted lascannon, and a Battle Cannon Russ turret.

That's my ideas for now, we will see how they work out down the road! If a Russ turret looks good on these the conversions will actually be quite simple I think. Turret variant Malcadors.

Here is a really quick and dirty Photoshop done in my phone using the size comparison picture from Forge World as a proof of concept for a "Lucius" Pattern Malcador Heavy Tank.

Obviously I haven't added sponsons, but this gets the turret idea across, and I think I quite like it!

b9qADjf.jpg

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty lucky myself! I've never had something like this happen before, so when they told me to keep them I was pretty blown away!

I'm pretty sure my order got mixed up with another person's order. So while I feel sorry for the person that ordered 3 Dracosans but recieved a box with 20 Krieg Engineers and 3 Mars Alpha Russes instead of their tanks, I don't really as I'm sure they will get to keep my order as well as have their Dracosans shipped out again as well.

In my mind free is free, and I think they will make a fun project. I've got 2 Malcador conversions figured out in my head.

For a Defender I'm going to forcibly mate a quad heavy bolter rapier gun bit to a spare Russ turret, add 2 sponson heavy bolters, and one hull mounted from the Mars Alpha Russ kit to the front. 7 heavy bolters taken care of.

For a Malcador Heavy Tank I just have to mate a Battle Cannon turret to the top of the Dracosan and add a couple sponsons.

They will look different, but from my quick mock up, i think they will look different in a fine way! Plus they were free, so it's really hard to complain.

That will be what I do if the first one turns out looking horrible, but that's by far the least fun option!

Totally fair, good luck! If these work, they will be gorgeous and unique malcadors

way more difficult than i would have thought...

those tanks are really high - even by IG-standards. They really look like armoured transports and it would be a shame to not use them as such.

Actually, they are not that different from a land raider. Yes, no IG vehicle - and the dracosan is not as well armed.

I like it with a turret - but i think it might look even better with a really large hull mounted, tank-hunter-style, weapon. With the turret, it gets REALLY high.

way more difficult than i would have thought...

those tanks are really high - even by IG-standards. They really look like armoured transports and it would be a shame to not use them as such.

Actually, they are not that different from a land raider. Yes, no IG vehicle - and the dracosan is not as well armed.

I like it with a turret - but i think it might look even better with a really large hull mounted, tank-hunter-style, weapon. With the turret, it gets REALLY high.

Since I have 3 to work with I'm planning to do 2 turret Mount weapons (Defender and Heavy Tank), and one with a big hull cannon to be a Valdor Tank Hunter

Plus the height could just be at accommodate a larger ordnance capacity in this pattern of Malcador.

I did another quick Photoshop on my phone, and the height difference really isn't all that much. I scaled the two images so that their track sections aligned, so the scale should be pretty close in reality:

rrskhoo.jpg

Archived