Deployment style?

mertbl

Do you deploy in straight lines? Is there an advantage to doing so? I know if you separate your lines by 4" or so you can't be consolidated into which is a big deal. How do you deal with armor in your lines or other terrain interruptions?

I have been deploying in clusters with my heavy and special weapons at the front deployment edge for range advantages, the rest of the squad trailing back to block area off. Am I missing out?

A lot depends on your army make up - and that of your opponent - so it's a bit of a difficult question to answer directly. Generally I have the important and killier units in the middle/rear (usually tanks) with a protective screen of infantry who hold the line and advance it as required. This can be supplemented by picket units further out, to keep the enemy reserves etc away for an extra turn. I suspect this is most people's answer, so a bit more info wouldn't hurt to make it more specific :tu:

I make a bespoke deployment against every oponent based on what they have. There will always be some infantry at the front, with range of orders and auras. Usually 4" apart to limit consolidations.

Hellhounds and artillery out of sight (if possible). Russes are tough and if I have them, it will always be more than 1, so they can stay in line of sight and whether the storm

I put infantry (40pts no upgrades) as screen along deployment edge. 

As Halfpint100 does I then stagger line behind this (>4").

On turn one I push screen forward screen forwards as hard and far as I can up the board, block up movement lanes, get on objectives etc, create big deep strike null zone. Secondary screen then forms more traditional screen. Idea is to control the "contact point" of combat. I am happy if opponent wants to shoot it out - if close combat army I find most armies have one turn one assault 'vehicle' (in the delivery sense, not always an actual vehicle!), the main bulk hits turn 2. Its that bulk that my screen needs to hinder.

Goal is to create a mess of melee, fall back etc in mid board, not in your face.

The danger with any castle army - and most guard run some element of a castle - is you get penned in and the charge-pile in-consolidate cycle locks you down.

Archived