Land Raider vs. Stormraven

Fahlnor

Which one is most durable? Does a Land Raider’s T8, two additional wounds and the 2+ save win out against the Stormraven’s -1 To Hit modifier and significant mobility advantage? How useful have you found the fact that a Stormraven can’t be charged by a Knight or a unit of Terminators?

Which can bring the most firepower? The Land Raider can bring four lascannon shots, a heavy bolter, a multimelta, storm bolter and a hunter killer missile. The Stormraven has more options and can add hurricane bolters to any loadout, in addition to bringing the stormstrike missiles.

Which brings the most useful transport capacity? Is the 16-man Crusader overshadowed by the Stormraven bringing a Dreadnought? If you’re not bringing a Dreadnought, does the value swing in favour of the Land Raider? Is it more useful to have a slightly larger transport capacity and increased durability versus the ability to put a smaller squad anywhere you like on the board?

Any other things you want to add? Is one of them just cooler than the other? How do they compare for points? Do you see one of them more often than the other? Would either of them run particularly well in multiples or in a particularly themed army?

A LR can "hide" behind a suitably large building, or itself block LOS to other units. At the same time it needs bigger roads to move.

A SR has increased maneuverability but a lot more enemy models can draw LOS to it, and the -1 to hit is nothing compared to 7th edition's 6+ to hit (unless you are anti-aircraft).

For me the Storm Raven's ability to FLY is the winning factor. If you are using either vehicle to transport infantry then you will need to get close to the enemy which in turn risks you getting charged. Not only can Raven's not be charged by non-flying units but even if they do get charged, they can move off and fire without penalty on the next turn.

The Land Raider is too expensive to risk sacrificing its firepower if it gets charged, even if the opponent fails to do any damage, the loss of shooting may well hurt your battle plans.

If you get out FW land raider options I’d would field a Storm Raven over land raider most of the time. It’s been said above

The thing you can do with land raiders is to block line of sight. You could try to hide infantry behind it so they can’t be shot in addition to the transported one. Unfortunately for the poor land raider, I’d rather have 3 razorbacks as transport, it’s just more wound or firepower.

The stormraven in the other has a lot more to offer: maneuvering, fly, versatility in loadout, dreadnought transport, etc.

I really hope LR get is points adjusted.

Archived