1st company "company veterans"

dread05

Sooo, some food for thought. In 8th edition, every company has a company veteran squad who act as bodyguards and/or advisors to the captain.

Selected from amongst the Chapter's most experienced Battle-Brothers, the Company Veterans are equally adept whether acting as dedicated bodyguards, fighting at the forefront of a bloody battle, or forming the lynchpin of an immovable defence line. Company Veterans are usually deep in their Captain's counsel, their voices heard and respected on matters of strategy, morale and doctrine.

Can we assume this happens in the first company aswell? In the Archangels, everyone is pretty much a veteran, but shouldnt Karlaen have his own bodyguards? How would you represent them? What models would you use for them?

The sqaud Bavetius fight side by side with Karlean. They used to be the equilvalent of the terminator command squad with assault loadout (Thunder hammer/stormshield). As terminator command squad does not exist anymore on 8th, set i'd go with terminator Banner and an assault terminator squad.

Alternatively, if you want to field the company veteran dataslate, I would give them jump packs and stormshieds for sure. Fluff wise the first company has acess to a lot of storm shields, thunder hammer, lightning claws and they really like to fight in melee.

If you can get your hands on sons on sanguinus painting guide, it details a lot how 1st and 2nd company are (pre-primaris), it is also a pretty decent paintguide.

I would say you only need jumppacks if you plan on teleporting Karlean in. Then they would need jumppacks to land next to him. Otherwise, you're probably good. 

What's wrong with Hammernators and a TDA Ancient? Too bad we cannot have TDA priests anymore.

I would say you only need jumppacks if you plan on teleporting Karlean in. Then they would need jumppacks to land next to him. Otherwise, you're probably good. 

What's wrong with Hammernators and a TDA Ancient? Too bad we cannot have TDA priests anymore.

Nothing's wrong with them, I just cant interpret them as a company veterans squad in 8th. Squad Bavetius could be his real honor guard, but in 8th, it's just another terminator assault squad :/

It's actually a really neat idea to have Veteran Veterans... each with 3A and 2W (3W if in TDA), 3A base (Super Sgt gets 4A), and either BS2+ or WS2+.

Never gonna happen, but fun to think about.

Realistically, I would think that the Archangels operate more like like Tier 1 units in the sense that they are so professional, they appear laid back to outsiders. Karlaen can probably count on any squad in their ranks and so they have much less structure than one would think.

Just though about it. Aren’t the Sanguinary Guards the « veteran veterans » chosen as personal guards for Dante?

I could see them as an easy alternative for honour guard. Give them power fists, paint them red like terminators for 1st co. And they have a data sheet.

I actually thought to do one squad of red sanguinary guards without wings as vanguard veterans, just for some variety, but thats far on the bottom of my list. I think I'm leaning towards non jump pack marines for Karlaen. A company veterans squad with storm bolters and thunder hammers, made with the sternguard kit.

The Dark Angels thing ... and the Space Wolves thing (Termi sergeants in troops and can mix melee&shooty terminator units) ... and the Blood Angels thing (Archangel company in fluff, we are the Spacehulk guys and we are the ones with a Terminator Ancient now) ... and generally just a basic unit of any chapters veterans lol

Apart from the terminator ancient, I dont see anything special in the BA terminators. Yea, our terminators look amazing (both the assault kit and the normal ones if you use the space hulk models), and yea we have a terminator captain model, but there is no support for them. And you know they gave us the ancient just because the Archangels banner was in the assault kit.

Yeah that bugs me too. Fluff-wise our Terminators are apparently more a thing than those of the vanilla chapters (at least they get used everywhere) but rules-wise they are just generic terminators.

TBH thats a problem with the Archangels in general. Sternguard are not something special cause we dont have support for them, and we can take heavy flamers on troops. Vanguard are outclassed by DC and the guards and the Terminators are just vanilla terminators.

The name Company Veterans is weird for any chapter except Dark Angels (and maybe other Unforgiven). The Dark Angels do not have members of the Veteran Company wearing PA. So that niche needs to be filled by members of the line companies.

For BA and other codex chapters, veterans generally are part of the 1st company no matter what armour they wear, and the most skilled members of a company used to be gathered in a command squad/honour guard.

Other than ruleswise I see no need for a Command Squad for the Captain of the 1st Co. to be any better than Command Squads in other companies. It is a shame for the whole 1st Co. that they can only choose a few weapons as soon as they don TDA. Such exalted individuals should have the same freedom as Space Wolves and Traitor Terminators.

The Dark Angels thing ... and the Space Wolves thing (Termi sergeants in troops and can mix melee&shooty terminator units) ... and the Blood Angels thing (Archangel company in fluff, we are the Spacehulk guys and we are the ones with a Terminator Ancient now) ... and generally just a basic unit of any chapters veterans lol

I mean thematically. Terminators aren't part of the Space Wolves or Blood Angels 'theme' for the army, whereas they're an integral part of the Dark Angels. Space Wolves just have their Wolf Guard Pack Leaders, that sometimes wear Terminator Armour while leading power-armour squads. It's not a vital part of the character of the Chapter. Same goes for the Blood Angels. Sure, we had a well-known battle featuring Terminators, but they're hardly a central aspect of the Blood Angels.

Yes, but GW decided to make them a thing. Those two generic veterans, or more specifically a veteran sergeant and a veteran, became a 5 man squad more versatile than 1st company vets. I understand that they make the rules according to what their selling and not the other way around, but they could give those two models in the command box another role, i.e. they could sell them as 2 lieutenants.

Archived