Mephiston Red bubbling on capes

dbecer01

It is hot (about 80 degrees farenheight) and humid (about 73 degress humidity) where I am spraying.

I shook the can for about 2 minutes.

I was spraying maybe 4 inches away.

Are you using a spray can?

It's most likely the distance, 4 inches is way too close. Try to be about 12 inches (a ruler, or elbow to wrist distance).

To fix it, you could just scrape that area with a knife and repaint it by hand, or strip the whole model and spray again.

75% RH is very high - I'd say that's your culprit. You're spraying so close that the paint wouldn't dry before hitting the model (the typical problem with high temperatures) and spraying too close/heavily usually results in thick paint/smoothed features rather than bubbling.

As far as fixing it... you might be able to hide it to varying degrees, but you might need to strip the paint and try again.

I agree with other posters, the humidity is definitely the issue. I use that same spray and have found it to be less tolerate to humidity that most primer, which is annoying if you live in a pretty humid place. I've had models come out practically fuzzy looking by spraying in humid conditions.

Not much you can do to fix it once it happens except scrap/strip. You may be able to paint over if it isn't too rough to the touch. I'm not sure id drybrush, thin layers would do more to hide it probably. You might try a lay of hardcoat over top to close up small blemishes before hand painting but I've never tried that approach.

Best top for avoiding issues is checking the forecast and planning ahead if possible, but i broke down and bought a pot of primer for the summer months when I can't count on a break in the weather.

I found you have to have the temp between the specified temps, to cold it goes runny like a wash and to hot it goes like dust. But i think the humidity might have caused the bubble effects. When i get them i scratch the bubble and do a thin coat of mephiston base to cover up the scratched bubbles :-)

Archived