I'm building my own Guard regiment

Ishagu

And I'm looking for alternative infantry kits. I don't really like the options available from GW.

My regiment uses Catachan rules, but I don't like the actual Catachan models available, aside from Marbo and the other named characters.

The scheme for my army is similar to the Death Korps.

Look up at the offerings at the top of the forum ,Victoria Miniatures are excellent. I have used them,and the service and quality was excellent.Anvil Miniatures are also excellent, and yes I have also used them. Pig Iron Miniatures is another source that many of our brethren have used with great results ,and I have thought about using them. Anvil,has an excellent regiment builder ,or squad builder will make it easier to build your squads.  The astra Militarum resources will have options for you.

And I'm looking for alternative infantry kits. I don't really like the options available from GW.

My regiment uses Catachan rules, but I don't like the actual Catachan models available, aside from Marbo and the other named characters.

The scheme for my army is similar to the Death Korps.

My favorite models are from anvil industry, their quality is high and the variety of kits is just lovely. 

Though make sure to get some lasguns and other grimdark items to keep the 40k feel alive. Think water bottles, lasgun ammo packs, chainsword/laspistol and so on.

I echo the recommendation of Victoria Miniatures. I haven't used parts from other lines, but I have found that Victoria's stuff is VERY close to the scale GW uses. Her weapons and gear are not as bulky, so I would second the comment that use of GW lasguns, canteens, ammo pouches, and bayonets would help a lot with making the army look more 40k. But the bodies of the troops themselves fit very well with current Cadian/Catcachan sizes. Kitbashing between Victoria bits with Cadian or Catachan bits works perfectly.

The limiting factor may be the looks available from Victoria. Whereas Anvil appears to have more of a "modern"/21st century military sort of look available, Victoria's troopers are for the most part very in-line with GW lines. She has:

Arcadian Guard (basically the old metal Cadian look/Colonial Marines from Aliens)

Border World Rangers (Gaunt's Ghosts/Tanith)

Broolian Beast Guard (Beast men)

Hexenheim Storm Troopers (Krieg-ish with pickelhaube instead of stahlhelm)

Highland Moss Guard (Highlanders)

Penal Guard (Penal Legion)

Tannenburg Fuselliers (Mordians)

Rausenberg Siege Corps (Mordians with great coats)

Sandor Rad Hounds (Salvar Chem Dogs)

Svargan Shock Soldats (Valhallans)

Van Diemen's World Veterans (Anzac troops)

Victorian Guard (Praetorians)

So pretty much all a 19th and early 20th century vibe. Although since you say you like a Death Korps type of look, this may be fitting. With so many different regiments to choose from you can do a lot of mixing-and-matching. And example of such mixing and matching would be Victoria\s Tannenburg Fusilliers and Rausenberg Siege Corps. Both use the "not-Mordian" torsos, arms, and heads with officers caps, but the former use one set of legs for the Mordian look and the other uses great coat legs for a trencher look.

I've found Victoria's customer service to be quite good. She also has more special and heavy weapons than you can shake a stick at although I'd recommend sticking to GW heavy weapons for more of that 40K look plus GW plastics will still be cheaper than Victoria's stuff.

For a scheme similar to Death Corps, the Hexenheim Storm Troopers might be a good bet, or the Rausenberg siege corps, or again some mixing and matching. You may or may not want trench coats. You could use the not-Salvar Chem Dog heads for a different (bareheaded) gas mask look. The Highland Moss Guard use the same heads as the chem dog guys I believe, and you could even use them as a scottish take. Anyway, lots of options. Looking forward to your army.

I've also use Mad Robot Miniatures parts and they also scale well with GW stuff. They have LOTS of different options for heads for variety. They have a selection of heads that look like GW's Armageddon Steel Legion that would go well with some Victoria bitz for a unique look reminiscent of DKoK.

Thanks guys. Some great options available here and food for thought.

Brilliant looking model from both Anvil and Victoria upon having a look, this might be a tricky choice. As you've mentioned I'll be sticking with GW for the heavy weapon teams, tank commanders, etc. I'll need to pick some out that would still look consistent next to GW models.

Right, time to browse some more! lol

If the Deathkorps is what you are coming from, maybe Dreamforges Eisenkern range may be worth a look. Basically SciFi Wehrmacht - ok, thats the wrong world war, but two iterations to the future.

They also have a command unit box and heavy weapon teams - where you should be able to easily replace the weapons with mars sanctioned ones.

And... they are extremely cheap compared to GW

Looking at all the cool stuff available nowadays (the Anvil Industry and Victoria lines have expanded a LOT since I started building my DKoK back circa 2010) makes me kind of wish I hadn't already invested so much time and money ... one could build a really cool and unique Guard army with what's available today!

Did you have an image in your mind of what you were trying to create, visually? There's tons of options out there but we may be able to help if you know the type of outfitting you're trying to build :)

I'm using necromunda kits for my homebrew regiment. Escher for this list as box contains enough parts for autogun/lasrifle armed troops plus special weapon bits for Sergeant. I'm using catachan regiment with them, led by straken, the belladonna bionic model from forgeworld. Could easily use the other boxsets too

I want to add my recommendations for Victoria Miniatures and Mad Robot Miniatures.  Both have model lines that match GW scale if you're combining with the existing GW model lines, and have great products and service.  I cannot recommend them enough!

If it is Catachan you are looking for my top recommendations, from what I have seen and not from personal experience, would be Anvil Industry and Victoria Miniatures.

Mad Robot... I am really not sold on. Compared to others you save money and the scale is right, but you do sacrifice details. Probably comes down to what you want.

If it is Catachan you are looking for my top recommendations, from what I have seen and not from personal experience, would be Anvil Industry and Victoria Miniatures.

Mad Robot... I am really not sold on. Compared to others you save money and the scale is right, but you do sacrifice details. Probably comes down to what you want.

Really? I haven't bought whole minis from Anvil, but I find my Mad Robot heads look better than the ones I bought from Anvil. I would say the Anvils are more durable than the MRs.

I am not saying that they look bad. Only that when I am comparing them, on the pictures available on each store, I have to conclude that Anvil's heads do have a higher level of detail.

I looked into MR, cause they are still the only third party who produce heads for a potential Armageddon Steel Legion. But when I look at things like their weapon, arms and heads I simply think, that for their very affordable price you get less details.

I wil agree, that based on the photos on his site, Mad Robot's minis seem less detailed.  I was hesitant when I first ordered from him.   But, the parts are MUCH more detailed in person.   I have an older post where I posted photos of a plastic cadian with both VM and MR heads for a comparison.  Not the best way to see the differences between the two, but a start at least!  I posted the pics below if you want a side-by-side comparison.  You can also look through my posts for painted examples of MR heads (they are what I use for my army). I find that both VM and MR have comparable quality of detail, and I tend to use both parts for my Guard.  Have not used Anvil Industries myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about them!   

VM Arcadian (Cadian equivalent - closer to the old metals)

MR Colonial Marine head 

Archived